Does Slow Johnny still pull the wings off flies

Old January 16th 21, 12:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Does Slow Johnny still pull the wings off flies

On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 10:20:43 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
wrote:

On Thursday, January 14, 2021 at 5:43:43 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 1/14/2021 7:20 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Thursday, January 14, 2021 at 4:15:02 PM UTC-8, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 14 Jan 2021 10:01:56 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:
On Wed, 13 Jan 2021 11:49:04 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Well, certainly there are various "versions" of the Bible and some of
the instructions are a bit different. "Thou shall not kill" in some
versions and "Thou shall not commit murder" in others for instance

New versions appear constantly. The latest is the MEV (Modern English
Version) which takes the KJV bible and translates the 17th century
idioms and terminology, into modern English. It was finished in 2013.
https://modernenglishversion.com
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_English_Version

It's the idioms that drive readers nuts. One famous example is from
WWII, when a misunderstanding of the phrase "table the motion" brought
an important military meeting to a grinding halt:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_(parliamentary_procedure)
That's just one example, and the bible is crammed full of idioms.

"Thou shalt no kill" is not sufficient in a court of law. Question
arise as to exceptions and killing what? Is it acceptable to
slaughter animals for food? Some attempts have been made to clarify
such details, usually resulting in a bible that reads like a legal
document or history book:
https://gnt.bible
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_News_Bible

Incidentally, here's a vocabulary list extracted from the KJV bible:
https://cdn.ymaws.com/www.tbsbibles.org/resource/collection/D1B0BDBE-CD9E-4D12-BBDD-138677F98835/Bible-Word-List-and-Reading-Plan.pdf
Most of the words and phrases on the list are in dire need of
translation to modern terms.
Another thing, regarding the Bible is that of translation. As I have
lived in a number of non-English speaking countries I have been made
aware that literal translations are frequently meaningless, if even
possible, and even worse people often use nicknames and phrases that
when literally translated are far different in meaning then what is
meant by those using them. For example, it is very common,
particularly in Bangkok, to hear a man reference "fan phom" which
literally translated is "friend me" but actually means "my wife", a
somewhat different meaning than the translation.

Given that the Jewish holy books weren't originally written in
English, or Latin, but were likely translated first into Greek, and
then into Latin and then into English the chances of misinterpreting a
word or phrase, or even a loyal advocate of one group or another
simply inserting a totally new word into his copy seems more than
likely.

The Torah or "law" handed down to Moses was in Aramaic. Only scholars could read it for centuries. This was eventually translated from several languages into Latin and then the Bible was only available to priests and monks and the like and again, only scholar could read it. During the reformation the Anglo-Saxons wanted a bible that everyone could read and have and at THAT point it was translated into what passed for Saxon under Martin Luther and finally English as England became the colonial power they passed their Protestant Bible to every corner of the globe where native believers then translated it into local languages. The word "engraver" had the origin in reproducing religious texts.

Moses' Jehovah couldn't manage writing in Hebrew?

Aramaic was a written language and Hebrew was not for many centuries. There were all sorts of "gospels" since like today, people loved to speak of Jesus never having known him. So the Catholic Church had to sort through these gospels and decide which had authority and which did not. And they were all translated into Latin.

https://patternsofevidence.com/2019/...irst-alphabet/
"the first Hebrew writing is called “Old Hebrew” or “Paleo-Hebrew.”
This is known from inscriptions found from about 900 BC in the
kingdoms of Israel and Judah until the destruction of the Temple in
Jerusalem and the exile of many of Judah’s inhabitants to Babylon
around 586 BC."
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old January 16th 21, 02:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 16 Jan 2021 06:11:04 +0700, John B.
wrote:

https://patternsofevidence.com/2019/...irst-alphabet/
"the first Hebrew writing is called “Old Hebrew” or “Paleo-Hebrew.”
This is known from inscriptions found from about 900 BC in the
kingdoms of Israel and Judah until the destruction of the Temple in
Jerusalem and the exile of many of Judah’s inhabitants to Babylon
around 586 BC."

More on Old Hebrew:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleo-Hebrew_alphabet
Compare the Old Hebrew characters with the Hebrew characters in the
right hand column. A few a close, but most are very different.

Aramaic is the base alphabet for most of the middle eastern languages.
Notice on the chart that the Imperial Aramaic and Hebrew characters
are fairly similar:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aramaic_alphabet#Letters

So, why are some characters radically different while others seem to
copied from older character sets? What happened is that the spoken
languages are not necessarily written in the written language of the
same name. Sometimes, the spoken language for a region is a common
language, such as Aramaic was in biblical times. Everyone spoke
Aramaic, but wrote it in a variety of character sets. Sometimes,
either or both the language and character set is specific to the
region, trade, politics, status, etc.

For example, the Emperor of Japan during WWII had a very different
spoke language than what was spoken by the common people. That was to
isolate the Emperor from the common people. That worked well until
the Emperor Hirohito had to give his famous "Bear the Unbearable"
speech near the end of WWII. It went out over loudspeakers and radio
to all over Japan. Nobody could understand what he was saying, so it
had to be repeated by someone else in the language of the common
people.

This kind to stratification was very common in biblical times. The
priesthood had their own language and character set. The various
merchants all spoke Aramaic, but used the written language familiar to
those with whom they were trading.

Something similar happened with the decoding of the Rosetta Stone. It
was the same proclamation written in Egyptian hieroglyphs, Coptic, and
Greek. Greek and Coptic could be read, but not the hieroglyphics.
What Champollion determined was that hieroglyphs could be read just
like Latin characters, where each symbol represents a sound in spoken
Egyptian. By substituting the similar Coptic equivalents for the
hieroglyphs, Egyptian could be read.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosetta_Stone#Reading_the_Rosetta_Stone

If you go to Hawaii, they say Hawaiian place names in the native
Hawaiian spoken language, but since there wasn't a written language,
they just borrowed the Latin characters and pronunciation. Same thing
in biblical times. Language and characters were fairly independent.

Modern Hebrew is also quite different from biblical Hebrew. When the
Zionist movement setup the framework for what was eventually to become
Israel, they had a problem with the language. Hebrew was the language
of the bible and was not easily converted to something that could be
used for everyday commerce. For example, it has very few technical
terms. In an effort to find a quick fix, Theodor Hertzl wanted to use
Yiddish, which is mediaeval German, as the official language of
Israel. Yiddish uses the written Hebrew alphabet, but is spoken in
German. It's much like Polish and Russian are fairly similar spoken
languages, but Polish is written using Latin characters, while Russian
uses Cyrillic (Greek) characters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB5MtF70xe8

Anyway, I hope this helps disconnect spoken and written languages.

--
Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272
Old January 16th 21, 03:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

wrote:

https://patternsofevidence.com/2019/...irst-alphabet/
"the first Hebrew writing is called “Old Hebrew” or “Paleo-Hebrew.”
This is known from inscriptions found from about 900 BC in the
kingdoms of Israel and Judah until the destruction of the Temple in
Jerusalem and the exile of many of JudahÂ’s inhabitants to Babylon
[...]

Thanks, Jeff. Very informative. I don’t speak it, but Yiddish seems to me
to be the language that has words for things that other languages wished
they had words for.

Old January 16th 21, 03:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

I'm being picky here but the language spoken by Emperor Hirohito was
not a "different language" it was simply a very ornate and honorific
version of the Japanese language, and, as you say, was rather
difficult for the "common people" to understand. But the Japanese use
several ways of talking and the words which are used basically,
indicate the differences in social level between the speaker and the
spoken to. It is quite easy, for example, to insult someone by simply
leaving out an honorific or using a lower class word.

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old January 16th 21, 03:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 16 Jan 2021 02:18:17 +0000 (UTC), Ralph Barone
wrote:

Thanks, Jeff. Very informative.

Y'er welcome.

I don’t speak it, but Yiddish seems to me
to be the language that has words for things that other languages wished
they had words for.

Yep. Languages tend to go into more detail describing things with
which the culture is most familiar. The classic example is that
Eskimos allegedly have 50 words for "snow".
https://readable.com/blog/do-inuits-really-have-50-words-for-snow/
The real number is more like 8 names, but I'll pretend that I didn't
read that. Similarly, Yiddish has even more names for "fools".
https://www.aish.com/j/fs/48929367.html
I could probably add a few more.

Incidentally, my parents were Polish. After WWII, they ended up in
Germany where I was born. When I was 5, the family emigrated to the
USA and eventually settled in Los Angeles. I initially spoke German.
My parents continued to speak Polish, so I learned some Polish. Some
family friends spoke Russian, so I learned a little Russian. I
attended a school where instruction was in Yiddish but also taught
some Hebrew:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Workers_Circle
Lingua Fracta was the order of the day. I thought nothing of
assembling a sentence from 4 different languages.

1953 was the trailing end of McCarthyism and the Red Scare.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCarthyism
If someone spoke any language other than English, or did not act like
a genuine American, they were labeled a Communist. My parents and
friends were seriously worried about being "denounced" and deported
back to Europe. It took a while for them to realize that this was not
the way America operated. Meanwhile paranoia was the order of the
day. Therefore, I was encouraged to only speak English in public,
handle my knife and fork in the American manner, and try to look like
an American. My parents also bought two books on etiquette (by Amy
Vanderbilt and Emily Post) and tried to use it as a guide for setting
the dinner table. It was quite a surprise when we discovered that
Americans didn't eat like that.

Old January 16th 21, 05:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Thu, 14 Jan 2021 20:34:41 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Thu, 14 Jan 2021 18:58:23 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 1/14/2021 6:04 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I suspect that the next translation of the bible will be into text
message abbreviations and acronyms, which is the common language of
todays youth:
https://www.webopedia.com/reference/text-message-abbreviations/

Long ago I read a science fiction novel (probably by Heinlein) that
featured some sort of secret society. As I recall, to be inducted one
needed a high degree of intelligence; but once inducted, trainees
learned a new language, one that was heavily abbreviated. The claim was
that we think by internal use of language, so learning a language whose
information was very dense (in terms of ideas per syllable) allowed much
faster processing of data - i.e. faster and more efficient thinking.

I read the same story, but can't recall the name or author. I did
some random Googling for clues, but can't recall enough of the story
to construct a working key word search. As I vaguely recall, my first
thoughts were that high speed thinking was of marginal value because
it also accelerates one's rate of making mistakes and reduces the
available time to consider side effects and "what can go wrong"
thoughts after the high speed decisions are reached. While one can
probably learn to communicate at high speeds, there's no guarantee
that they will also think at high speeds.

Found it! It's _Gulf_ by Robert A. Heinlein.

Wikipedia says that the story was written after the table of contents
for the magazine was composed, which explains why it fits its title
very loosely.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at centurylink dot net

Old January 16th 21, 08:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

[...]

Thank you. I would never have recognized the story by that title. It
was a part of a collection titled "Assignment in Eternity" which is
where I read "Gulf":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assignment_in_Eternity
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_(novella)
The story invokes the notions of the General Semantics
of Alfred Korzybski and the work of Samuel Renshaw to
explain the nature of thought and how people could be
trained to think more rapidly and accurately.

I couldn't find a free PDF or eBook download. I'll try again
tomorrow.

Speedtalk:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speedtalk

Old January 16th 21, 02:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

As with English and AFAIK other languages. And languages are
dynamic.

In the 1970s a sansei girlfriend, who learned Japanese from
her family (who arrived here before The Great War) visited
Japan. Her old-timey stilted conversation was a real
impediment.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old January 16th 21, 07:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Wow. I'm impressed you found it!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 16th 21, 07:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

[...]

My 1892 dictionary lists "awful" as being full of awe. It's interesting how languages or even just words change meanings. Gai is another great example..

Then there was the great vowel shift in the English language which is why Olde English is no so hard to read.

Cheers