Fighting the wind

Old August 27th 05, 05:42 AM
Jandra

Default Fighting the wind

Did a ride this morning from New Farm to Scarborough and I must say it was
tough on my own.

I covered just on 102 k's return, and whilst going there was pretty easy,
wind behind me, coming back was murder.
Going there I averaged 27.5 k's an hour, but the return leg the wind was a
killer, especially along the Hornibrook Bridge, and along the water at
Sandgate.

I got home in just over 4 hours with a total average speed of 24.4 k's an
hour, which I though was okayish being on my own and knowone to help me with
the wind.

Anyway today on the return I never got out of the small chain ring, I stayed
in it all the way, and tried to keep my cadence at about 80 to 90, and I
must say I only read about this yesterday in some cycling mag.
It said never fight the wind, and I tell you it worked for me, yes I was
slower, but I did not tire like I normally do.

Anyway while I didn't break any average speed record, I thought I did ok on
my own for 4 hours with strong wind, and 70% through bikeways.
I must say the highlight was hitting 65k's an hour down Crosby Road Albion.
But I have to say I hate riding agains't the wind on my way home, I would
have it the other way round anyday, hard out, easy back.

Old August 27th 05, 07:08 AM
Euan

"Jandra" == Jandra writes:

Jandra It said never fight the wind, and I tell you it worked for
Jandra me, yes I was slower, but I did not tire like I normally do.

I figured that out on my own more out of necessity than anything else, I
commute by bike. What really kills me is when I've done an effort the
previous day and really need easy street the next to recover.
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\,
Old August 27th 05, 07:53 AM

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 14:42:39 +1000, "Jandra" wrote:

Did a ride this morning from New Farm to Scarborough and I must say it was
tough on my own.

I covered just on 102 k's return, and whilst going there was pretty easy,
wind behind me, coming back was murder.

I would suggest you give up those onion and deviled egg sandwiches. Your wind problem will diminish
very rapidly. ;-)

Old August 27th 05, 08:21 AM
MikeyOz

Jandra Wrote:
Did a ride this morning from New Farm to Scarborough and I must say i
wa
tough on my own

I covered just on 102 k's return, and whilst going there was prett
easy
wind behind me, coming back was murder
Going there I averaged 27.5 k's an hour, but the return leg the win
was
killer, especially along the Hornibrook Bridge, and along the water a
Sandgate

I got home in just over 4 hours with a total average speed of 24.4 k'
hour, which I though was okayish being on my own and knowone to help m
wit
the wind

Anyway today on the return I never got out of the small chain ring,
staye
in it all the way, and tried to keep my cadence at about 80 to 90, an

must say I only read about this yesterday in some cycling mag
It said never fight the wind, and I tell you it worked for me, yes
wa
slower, but I did not tire like I normally do

Anyway while I didn't break any average speed record, I thought I di
ok o
my own for 4 hours with strong wind, and 70% through bikeways
I must say the highlight was hitting 65k's an hour down Crosby Roa
Albion
But I have to say I hate riding agains't the wind on my way home,
woul
have it the other way round anyday, hard out, easy back.

sounds like good work Jandra, I used to live in Wavell Heights an
enjoyed the riding around there, I would regularly do rides up t
redcliffe and deception bay, they were great rides and they were quit
safe on the roads, if you are out the door a little Sundays are eve
better, Samford is another good ride, good donuts at the bakery!!

and these rides being away from the coast, you dont get as bad a wind
when im riding into a headwind I also try not to fight it too much, tr
and stay nice and aero, keep everything tucked in nice and tight, grea
for mental training riding into a head wind!! A good headwind is lik
an artifical hill

--
MikeyO

Old August 27th 05, 01:46 PM
HughMann

MikeyOz Wrote:
sounds like good work Jandra, I used to live in Wavell Heights an
enjoyed the riding around there, I would regularly do rides up t
redcliffe and deception bay, they were great rides and they were quit
safe on the roads, if you are out the door a little Sundays are eve
better, Samford is another good ride, good donuts at the bakery!!

and these rides being away from the coast, you dont get as bad a wind
when im riding into a headwind I also try not to fight it too much, tr
and stay nice and aero, keep everything tucked in nice and tight, grea
for mental training riding into a head wind!! A good headwind is lik
an artifical hill.

I live 3 streets back from the beach and have to ride 5km along beac
the front to get to the next suburb. Most days after 1500hrs there i
a 20km/h + wind and when bad can be 40km/h for days.

Also had to work all this riding in wind stuff out on my own.
Now I just look on head wind as hill training too.
Have learnt to be careful in gusty side winds. Have nearly been blow
off a couple of times and I weigh 90kg. Getting blown off line i
common so have to be extra careful with group riding.

I Really enjoy tailwinds. The stronger the tailwind the more I bea
myself up to go faster n faster.

big Kid - faster Faster

Hug

--
HughMann

Old August 27th 05, 09:01 PM
HellenWheels

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 22:46:17 +1000, HughMann
wrote:

MikeyOz Wrote:
sounds like good work Jandra, I used to live in Wavell Heights and
enjoyed the riding around there, I would regularly do rides up to
redcliffe and deception bay, they were great rides and they were quite
safe on the roads, if you are out the door a little Sundays are even
better, Samford is another good ride, good donuts at the bakery!!

and these rides being away from the coast, you dont get as bad a wind,
when im riding into a headwind I also try not to fight it too much, try
and stay nice and aero, keep everything tucked in nice and tight, great
for mental training riding into a head wind!! A good headwind is like
an artifical hill.

I live 3 streets back from the beach and have to ride 5km along beach
the front to get to the next suburb. Most days after 1500hrs there is
a 20km/h + wind and when bad can be 40km/h for days.

Also had to work all this riding in wind stuff out on my own.
Now I just look on head wind as hill training too.
Have learnt to be careful in gusty side winds. Have nearly been blown
off a couple of times and I weigh 90kg. Getting blown off line is
common so have to be extra careful with group riding.

I Really enjoy tailwinds. The stronger the tailwind the more I beat
myself up to go faster n faster.

big Kid - faster Faster

Hugh

Cool. I think this is a valid training method, but tailwinds are kind of
unreliable, or infrequent, no?

What I do is use false flats to go faster than I'm used to riding, spin
higher cadence, etc., both uphill and down.

Like what you're doing, it's similar, imo, to motorpacing. Surely worth a
small part of my workouts.

Doing those, I seem to have improved my best avg speed in the last month by
..5 km/hr, on some lightly rolling hills.

-Wheels.

Old August 27th 05, 10:02 PM
MikeyOz

HughMann Wrote:
I live 3 streets back from the beach and have to ride 5km along beac
the front to get to the next suburb. Most days after 1500hrs there i
a 20km/h + wind and when bad can be 40km/h for days.

Also had to work all this riding in wind stuff out on my own.
Now I just look on head wind as hill training too.
Have learnt to be careful in gusty side winds. Have nearly been blow
off a couple of times and I weigh 90kg. Getting blown off line i
common so have to be extra careful with group riding.

I Really enjoy tailwinds. The stronger the tailwind the more I bea
myself up to go faster n faster.

big Kid - faster Faster

Hugh

yeah... love flogging meself when there is a decent tailwind gettin
up... great fun.... and as you I ride a lot near the coast-line an
have to admit I hate those side-winds.... there have been a couple o
days whenI reckon I have been shifted a good distance, so I never rid
in groups in large cross winds

--
MikeyO