Around one in twelve London residents has tried out a Boris bike

Old November 24th 11, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

Default Around one in twelve London residents has tried out a Boris bike

"Around one in twelve London residents has tried out the city’s
Barclays Cycle Hire Scheme since it was launched at the end of July
2010, a survey has revealed.

The London Omnibus survey, conducted by YouGov, only questions people
who live within the capital's broughs, and therefore excludes tourists
and other visitors as well as those who commute in from farther afield
for work, reports Metro.

In all, 8 per cent of Londoners said they had used the scheme since it
was launched 16 months ago. That may not sound a lot, but it’s still
around half a million adults.

Moreover once you start thinking behind the figures, it’s clear that a
significant proportion of those who are able to use the scheme have
done so.

For a start, you can exclude those who are too elderly or infirm to
use the bikes. Then, there’s the fact that the scheme covers a
relatively small and central zone that many – perhaps most – residents
of outlying boroughs seldom, if ever, visit.

Meanwhile, many residents who do commute into the city for work don’t
have a long enough journey once they arrive in the city centre to
justify using a bike.

Suddenly, that 8 per cent of all London residents isn’t looking too
small - if it were shown as a proportion of those who were in a
position to actually use the scheme, there's little doubt it would be
much, much higher.

According to YouGov, men, at 12 per cent, are three times more likely
than women, at 4 per cent, to have used the scheme’s distinctive blue
bikes.

The scheme has proved particularly popular with the capital’s younger
residents; more than a fifth of 18 to 24-year-olds and 11 per cent of
25 to 34-year-olds have used it.

What the survey doesn't show, however, is the frequency of use, so
there is no way of telling how many people, for example, have tried
out a bike once and not returned.

Metro adds that more than 7 million journeys have now been made using
the scheme, more than a third of those by casual users. The scheme
also currently has around 140,000 registered members."

http://road.cc/content/news/48225-ar...e-survey-finds

--
Simon Mason
Old November 24th 11, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 05:47:22 -0800 (PST), Simon Mason
wrote:

"Around one in twelve London residents has tried out the city’s
Barclays Cycle Hire Scheme since it was launched at the end of July
2010, a survey has revealed.

"In all, 8 per cent of Londoners said they had used the scheme since it was
launched 16 months ago."

No they didn't 8% of the 1,000 people sample who were asked said that they had
used the scheme.

"Our research has also revealed that the Barclays Cycle Scheme, a public bike
sharing scheme launched by Boris Johnson back in 2010, has not taken off with
London residents"

95% of the people asked who were aged 35 and over said they had not used the
scheme.

So the figures *had* taken account of older people - despite what the article
says.

Old November 24th 11, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
[...]

Why does it have to be London? There just happens to be other cities in the
UK.
I detest London and all that goes with the ********.

Old November 24th 11, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Weaseltemper[_2_]

On 24/11/2011 18:08, Mr Pounder wrote:

Why does it have to be London? There just happens to be other cities in the
UK.
I detest London and all that goes with the ********.

So do I.

I went there on Monday and it was no better than I ever remember it to
be, (however I was on the Euston road near Kings Cross). The traffic was
truly horrendous and the drivers are so aggressive. If there is one
place that really needs a good purge is London. Too many cars. Too many
people. Too many people in cars in a hurry. And what is it with smoking?
There are wafts of cigarette smoke wherever you go. I did see someone on
a Boris Bike. It even had a light on the front of it. I suppose that’s
progress …

I was glad to get on the train again and go home again.

--
Simon
For personal replies, please use my reply-to address.
Old November 24th 11, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On 24/11/2011 19:40, Simon Weaseltemper wrote:
On 24/11/2011 18:08, Mr Pounder wrote:

Why does it have to be London? There just happens to be other cities in the
UK.
I detest London and all that goes with the ********.

So do I.

I went there on Monday and it was no better than I ever remember it to be,
(however I was on the Euston road near Kings Cross). The traffic was truly
horrendous and the drivers are so aggressive. If there is one place that
really needs a good purge is London. Too many cars. Too many people. Too many
people in cars in a hurry. And what is it with smoking? There are wafts of
cigarette smoke wherever you go.

Stress... at a guess.
Old November 25th 11, 04:05 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Nov 24, 7:40*pm, Simon Weaseltemper
wrote:
[...]

Same here.
I can't wait to get back to civilisation where people aren't selfish
and aggressive and where the air is clean and noise free. It is a very
stressful place and as for the roads, well I count myself lucky that
in 5 minutes I can be walking on traffic free country lanes here in
East Yorks.

--
Simon Mason
Old November 25th 11, 10:18 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Weaseltemper[_2_]

On 25/11/2011 04:05, Simon Mason wrote:
On Nov 24, 7:40 pm, Simon
wrote:
[...]

I live with a Bridleway quite close to me and within a mile, some of the
roads are almost traffic free. The air is clean, low noise, and people
are a lot more friendly.

Old November 25th 11, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk,legal
Judith[_4_]

wrote:
[...]

Oh dear - I assume that you mean cycling at high speed along footpaths/old
railway lines and in 20mph areas to the detriment of children and old people.

You cannot get much more selfish than that.
Old November 25th 11, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

wrote:
[...]

We have just come back from Spurn Point, have a look at the Personal
Trainer thread for the piccies.
Beautiful place. :-)

--
Simon Mason

Boris bikes spread to a top London hotel Simon Mason UK 0 September 26th 11 05:30 PM
London Assembly rejects Boris Bertie Wooster UK 12 July 21st 11 01:48 PM
Boris on bikes in London Squashme UK 37 May 16th 10 05:52 AM
London Skyride - is LCC Boris' biatch? Keitht UK 2 September 21st 09 06:37 PM
VDOT bike-ped chief urges Henrico County (VA) residents to speak up Matt O'Toole General 0 May 21st 08 09:00 PM