Nice to see cyclists fighting back.

Old October 13th 13, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark Williams

Default Nice to see cyclists fighting back.

"Stanley Daniel de Liver" writes:

You really are a thick ****, aren't you. I was reading a few months
ago about a group of drivers from Virgin trains who set off from
Manchester at 5am to London on a charity ride and caught a train back
the same day at about 22.00. 200 miles in a week is challenging, but
easy to achieve for most moderately fit cyclist. A lot of cyclists
can do 100 miles in a morning.

This is preposterous. After a hearty breakfast and ensuring panniers
are properly loaded one should reckon on a 10am start. Pausing only
for a modest 2 hour luncheon at noon, one will need to arrive at ones
destination by 5pm for tea. One must also make allowances for any pubs
one encounters 'en route'. So I suggest that at an average 15mph, one
can travel 65 miles in a day. This will allow a trip between London
and Cambridge. (Obviously your man-servant will have to bring the
motor and punt).

It was probably the pub stops which slowed them down. They were lucky
to find any open outside London and Manchester during the day. My
regular 250km trip is, as you specify, finished by tea time. Mind you,
JNugent did claim that it is `not possible' on my FX: snort velocipede
and `certainly not' faster than aboard my FX: scoff motor car. Wrong
on all three counts, but that is par for the course.

FWIW, when we go from [near] London to Cambridge for a bit of the `en
route' of an evening, we cycle back. Punts are available to hire, but
best avoided as they are not a viable mode of transport even with a
motor.

--
Mark
Old October 13th 13, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark Williams

"John Benn" writes:

Should I start doing the same to cyclists using the phone? some might
fall off in shock I expect.

As cyclists are more vulnerable than drivers, it is especially
important they they don't use a hand-held phone while cycling.

I use the hands-free kit which also doubles up as a pair of noise
cancelling earphones for listening to The Archers whilst on the move.

As for hand amputation, I think I may have been going a bit far :-)

Of course you were.

--
Mark
Old October 13th 13, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 13/10/2013 19:51, Mark Williams wrote:
[...]

More of the Williams fantasy world, eh?

Old October 14th 13, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Benn

"Mark Williams" ] wrote in message
. ..
"John Benn" writes:

Should I start doing the same to cyclists using the phone? some might
fall off in shock I expect.

As cyclists are more vulnerable than drivers, it is especially
important they they don't use a hand-held phone while cycling.

I use the hands-free kit which also doubles up as a pair of noise
cancelling earphones for listening to The Archers whilst on the move.

As for hand amputation, I think I may have been going a bit far :-)

Of course you were.

Hands-free kits also pose a risk whether driving, cycling or walking.
Anything that distracts you can potentially cause an accident. I never use
a phone, hands-free or otherwise when doing anything that requires
concentration.

Old October 15th 13, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Monday, 14 October 2013 18:55:33 UTC+1, John Benn wrote:

Hands-free kits also pose a risk whether driving, cycling or walking.
Anything that distracts you can potentially cause an accident. I never use
a phone, hands-free or otherwise when doing anything that requires
concentration.

It's good to be able to agree with you for a change

Fighting Cyclists Mr Pounder UK 6 November 25th 11 02:41 PM
Cows fighting back against Contador claims ! Anton Berlin Racing 4 October 17th 10 01:16 AM
Children are fighting back! Doug[_3_] UK 57 June 10th 10 10:39 AM
Old Gits are fighting back Derek C UK 0 June 6th 10 07:22 AM
Traffic Cameras: The Sheep are Fighting Back! ComandanteBanana General 12 April 24th 09 08:33 PM