Does Slow Johnny still pull the wings off flies

Old January 10th 21, 11:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Does Slow Johnny still pull the wings off flies

On 1/10/2021 5:56 PM, Lou Holtman wrote:
Op zondag 10 januari 2021 om 21:34:46 UTC+1 schreef AMuzi:
On 1/10/2021 1:35 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Sunday, January 10, 2021 at 11:08:51 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 1/10/2021 11:51 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Saturday, January 9, 2021 at 6:52:50 PM UTC-8, Andre Jute wrote:
On Sunday, January 10, 2021 at 1:24:51 AM UTC, wrote:
On Saturday, January 9, 2021 at 4:59:53 PM UTC-8, Andre Jute wrote:
Returning for just a moment to the depressing subject of Slow Johnny, one wonders whether he had looked up on Wikipedia what pulling the wings off flies says about his mentality.
So what did you discover, Slow Johnny?
Between Slow Johnny and Wikipedia, neither seems to know what a pen knife is. Wikipedia thinks that it is a Swiss Army Knife and Slow Johnny thinks that it has something to so with a cartoon character of some sort.
I have to make do with Swiss Army knives -- I have two sizes on my desk for various artistic purposes and another in my pocket to sharpen pencils and pigment-wax bars to paint with. The best pocket knives were made by Joseph Rodgers of Sheffield, but I gave my last one to a dear friend who wanted to give it a gracious retirement in his collection: it had served me faithfully for over 60 years. I thought seriously of asking one of the bicycle frame braziers who still have an open hearth to hammer me a blade, but then, under the influence of my knowledgable friend decided what was left of the blade should stay on the knife. So much of what is now sold as Swiss Army knives, regrettably, are so much dinky trash for the tourist trade; I have three with broken plastic grips in a box in a drawer for spare part, none of them even ten years old. At least the blades are still okay, even if they aren't the outstanding steel edges you could get within living memory. -- AJ
Originally at our school we still have inkwells in our desks and it wasn't unusual to cut your own ink pen with a pen knife that appears to be what we call an Exacto-knife these days. Turkey tail feathers were the best to practice script. And the continuous dipping into ink supplied the delay to allow very careful practice. After the advent of the ball point pen and entry into middle management I completely lost my hand for script. I can barely write my own signature now but I think that has to do with the concussion damage,

???

I knew George S Parker III, whose family had made steel nibs
so cheaply that by the 1920s quills were mostly gone in USA.

Inkwells, yes. Quills no.

I remember those self inking pens. But it was still common around here to use quills and open inkwells. But you have to remember that this was shortly after the war and no one had any money and this area has always been sick with wild turkeys.

School pens (simple steel nib, not self-inking):

https://i.etsystatic.com/8303844/r/i...10711_bm72.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/85/2a...0edd9e5e0c.jpg

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/zbYAA...kzd/s-l300.jpg

That is what I used in first years in primary school (1963-1967). I convinced that it improves your handwriting. Up to now I still prefer a fountain pen or just a pencil.

In my first years in elementary school - um, much earlier! - the teacher
once gave me some sort of special pencil hoping it would improve my
handwriting. As I recall, it had sort of molded-in pockets for my
fingertips.

It failed. Or at least, my handwriting failed to improve.

The irony is that I later became quite competent at calligraphy and (in
the days of manual drafting) technical lettering. But my ordinary
handwriting is still pretty atrocious by legibility standards.

(Tom has some very strange "memories.")

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 11th 21, 12:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
News 2021

On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 13:08:41 -0600, AMuzi scribed:

Originally at our school we still have inkwells in our desks and it
wasn't unusual to cut your own ink pen with a pen knife that appears to
be what we call an Exacto-knife these days. Turkey tail feathers were
the best to practice script. And the continuous dipping into ink
supplied the delay to allow very careful practice. After the advent of
the ball point pen and entry into middle management I completely lost
my hand for script. I can barely write my own signature now but I think
that has to do with the concussion damage,

???

I knew George S Parker III, whose family had made steel nibs so cheaply
that by the 1920s quills were mostly gone in USA.

Inkwells, yes. Quills no.

Ink wells in school desk?. Common when I started and well into high
school as the desks were not replaced that often.

Quills?, I've never seen one in the wild.

School was chalk/slate(?), then pencil, then steel nibs and later biros.

Plain Steel tips? I still have a box around here along with the plastic
handles and my collection of fountain pens with various tips from my
interest in calligraphy which transferred into typography when I learnt
to use various printers and later computers. Mr Parker's business did
well out of me, though his modern biros are comparatively very expensive.

Old January 11th 21, 12:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 18:59:40 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

[...]

I remember "calligraphy" being taught in school. "Penmanship" I think
I remember it being called. I had some sort of distant cousin, or
whatever, that was an "old maid school teacher" and wrote the most
beautiful hand, copper plate, I think it was called. It was almost a
pleasure to carry a note home to my mother saying "John doesn't try
hard enough".
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old January 11th 21, 12:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

I remember those. The children made to use them hated the
damned things.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old January 11th 21, 02:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ted Heise

On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 18:49:13 -0600,
AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Don't know about pencils, but I was forced to use a pen like for a
year or so...

https://shop.zaner-bloser.com/shop/p...er-classic-pen

As for Frank, it made no difference in my penmanship. As soon as
I could, I went to writing everything except my signature in block
letters.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
Old January 11th 21, 03:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

wrote:

[...]

My wife works with college students. She assures me that one can't rely
on their being able to *read* cursive handwriting, much less produce it.
Old January 11th 21, 04:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Well, most of the news services produce moving picture shows to
portray the news so it is my guess that the "great unwashed" probably
do have problems in reading, or perhaps comprehending what they read
:-)
I'll always remember the notice posted on all 5th Air Force bulletin
Boards in Japan that ordered that:
"U.S. Air Force personnel shall not cohabitant with indigenous
females", and the guy standing next to me asked me to translate it :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old January 11th 21, 04:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

I wrote with a swan quill at school, illuminating T S Eliot's Macavity Cat.. After I'd been at college a few years, my mother returned a handwritten letter to me: "You handwriting is worse than my doctor's. Use a typewriter." That same week my girl friend sold the illuminated manuscript to a Japanese industrialist for enough money to outfit a new racing team. I can't remember the amount -- I have people to bother their heads about amounts -- but I remember someone says it was twice what a supreme court justice earned in a year. I've never since felt hard done by about my everyday handwriting being too bad even for me to read.

I have a swan quill in a pot on my side table right now, half a century later, for a project for which the ink is already standing in a wooden case against the wall and the vellum has been laid in and acclimatised.
..
I don't know what it is with you people, this sick compulsion to gainsay everything Tom says. You're giving the entire newsgroup over to your disease. Soon I'll have to stand up with Rideablot and agree with him that you trolls must go.
..
Andre Jute
"Macavity's a Mystery Cat: he's called the Hidden Paw— For he's the master criminal who can defy the Law. He's the bafflement of Scotland Yard, the Flying Squad's despair: For when they reach the scene of crime—Macavity's not there! Macavity, Macavity, there's no one like Macavity, He's broken every human law, he breaks the law of gravity." -- T S Eliot
Old January 11th 21, 07:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 9 Jan 2021 18:52:48 -0800 (PST), Andre Jute
wrote:

I have three with broken plastic grips in a box in a drawer for
spare part, none of them even ten years old. At least the blades
are still okay, even if they aren't the outstanding steel edges
you could get within living memory. -- AJ

Replacement scales (also known as grips or handles) in plastic, wood,
horn, carbon fiber, G10, etc are available for Victorinox and Wenger
Swiss Army Knives from multiple sources:
https://www.google.com/search?q=swiss+army+knife+replacement+scales
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=swiss+army+knife+scales

When I was carrying a Victorinox Tinker knife, I became tired of
breaking plastic scales when I dropped the knife. So, I made some
wooden handles, which worked much better and looked much nicer:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=swiss+army+knife+wood+scales
I have no idea how well they hold an edge because I seem to loose them
before the blade has time to get dull.

"How to Replace Swiss Army Knife Handles"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x39QWNeii2o (4:14)

The smaller Swiss Army knives lack a blade suitable for opening
cardboard boxes, cutting thick cordage, stripping wire, and opening
theft proof packaging. So, I gave up on multiplex knives and switched
to something more practical:
https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Hand-Tools/Cutting/48-22-1530

--
Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272
Old January 11th 21, 08:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 14:34:36 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

School pens (simple steel nib, not self-inking):
https://i.etsystatic.com/8303844/r/i...10711_bm72.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/85/2a...0edd9e5e0c.jpg
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/zbYAA...kzd/s-l300.jpg

I used these during the 1960's in High Skool:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/crud/calligraphy-pens.jpg
I have no idea why I still have them. I haven't used these in about
40 years.

I also have a set of drafting bow and technical pens, which used an
ink well or cartridge:
https://www.google.com/search?q=drafting+bow+pen&tbm=isch
https://www.google.com/search?q=drafting+technical+pen&tbm=isch
One mistake, and it's start over from scratch.

After pencils, I learned to write with a "fountain pen".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fountain_pen
Most had either a cartridge or an internal rubber bladder with a tiny
lever that compressed and uncompressed the bladder to suck in the ink.
The owner of such a pen was easy to identify. He had a large ink
stain near the bottom of his shirt pocket.

A perusal of period classroom photos shows many examples,
postwar through end of 1950s, but can't find a single
instance of turkey feathers.

We have flocks of wild turkeys in the area. Need any feathers?