Fastest speed on a coker?

Old August 20th 03, 07:32 PM
Eublapharis13

Default Fastest speed on a coker?

OK.... me and my brother have a debate going on about the fastest
speed.. he says it's 18 MPH and i say it's 30 MPH can anyone help me
out?

--
Eublapharis13 - Working on wheel walking

Half the Bike.....Twice the MAN!
Eublapharis13's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4065

Old August 20th 03, 10:36 PM
gerblefranklin

What's the world record for highest speed on a unicycle w/o gliding or
coasting? 30mph seems pretty fast.

--
gerblefranklin

Old August 21st 03, 07:30 AM
daino149

Anyone know the fastest speed of someone coasting?

Daniel

--
daino149 - One wheel to rule them all

A One That Isn't Cold Is Scardely A One At All

Old August 21st 03, 06:44 PM
Memphis Mud

You would reach "terminal velocity" at around 120 MPH. But I assume you
mean riding ON the earth and not TOWARDS it.

--
Memphis Mud - Student of GrandMaster 2T

Mantra: Avoid Hitting Tailbone...Avoid Hitting Tailbone...
Memphis Mud's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1987

Old September 5th 03, 11:21 PM
iunicycle

Klaas Bil wrote:
*
Not being able to make a single choice in this matter, the spreadsheet
in which I record my road rides calculates both tyre speed and road
speed.
*

Hmm, if there is a constant linear relationship between the two numbers,
isn't maintaining both like reporting tire diameter and circumference?

I'm sure the relationship isn't linear, but I doubt anyone has the
equipment to make anything other than a guess at wheel speed.

However, I can see you point. I would not like to brag about my wages
after taxes have take their nibble, which is far greater than 3%.

--
iunicycle - Old back, new cricks
iunicycle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1869

Old September 6th 03, 03:42 AM
GizmoDuck

johnfoss wrote:
*CORRECTION:
Remove "against!" I meant to say I advise against trying for that
amazing record on your first century attempt. It was not the first
time Takayuki had done it. *

Thanks John. That certainly is pretty amazing. I make that to be an
average speed of 23.76km/h! But I was afraid you were going to say he
rode a 24' unicycle, not that it makes it any less impressive!

I took my Coker for a 30km spin today and managed little over 20km/h
That was over fairly hilly terrain with 150mm cranks. I think I'd be
able to do 160km with a bit of training, but I doubt I'd average much
more than 20km/h even with shorter cranks. Realistically we're aiming
for 8-10hrs. There should be quite a few of us doing this ride so
hopefully we'll go faster (As a Coker peleton????- is there such a
thing???) I wonder if drafting at 20km/h will save us a few minutes
over 160km?

--
GizmoDuck - Cokernut

"I'll be there with bells on!"
Tony on the NZUni weekend

"right thats it im dressing up like a woman!"
James on the NZuni weekend

"If not for a weird inner ear condition that prevents me from crossing
the equator, I'd be there too."
JJuggle- the most original excuse not to attend the NZUni weekend

"At least if someone hurts themselves, Ken should be able to fix them up
with brain surgery on the spot if he brings a scalpel and some
bandages."
Rowan- on my surgical skills

Old September 8th 03, 04:01 AM
showard

Hey! I can nit pick too!

Klaas wrote:

You probably mean Frank Bonsch? His hub gear ratio is actually
1:1.5833 so the Coker would effectively be 57".

From Ken Fuchs' Coker tire roll out dimensions I calculate the effective
diameter of a Coker tire to be 34.7" so with the Frank Bonsch hub the
Coker would be effectively 55".

John Childs wrote:

The big advantage to Frank's hub ratio is that it will result in even
tire wear. Harper's hub ratio of 1:1.5 will still cause tire wear in
two spots so you'll still need to rotate the tire on the rim to get
even tire wear.

Actually Harper's hub will result in *four* wear spots 90 degrees apart
instead of two. Also John, you forget about switching the hub to 29"
mode ... there's three possible places to anchor the arm dingus so if
the hub is switched from 29" to 43.5" often, the tire should wear fairly
even.

To further nit pick ...

I measure the roll out circumference of the 29" Big Apple to be 89.6".
That's a diameter of 28.52" so the Harper hub actually makes an
effective wheel diameter of 42.8" ... with that tire anyway.

So there!!

Steve Howard

--
showard - ------
showard's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/452

Old September 8th 03, 04:09 AM
tomblackwood

showard wrote:
*Actually, Harper's hub will result in *four* wear spots 90 degrees
apart instead of two. *

Speaking on behalf of myself and the other idiots I represent, I must
ask "Why"? The uni appears to roll forward in a consistent manner, so
why would there be four wear places? I understand why on a giraffe
which gets idled a lot over the same part of the tire, but don't see why
it would happen on a uni that doesn't get idled (much) and pretty much
just does distance or speed riding.

--
tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

My other brake is my face!

Old August 21st 03, 07:38 PM
unibiker

Memphis Mud wrote:
*You would reach "terminal velocity" at around 120 MPH.*

Unless you're tracking head down with arms tucked back. Terminal
velocity increases to near 200 mph in this streamlined position.

--
unibiker - What is that thing anyway?

Jeff Baker

______________________________

Favorite comment (from a child) 'You can't do that. That's impossible.'
'Unibike Pics Here' (
http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albun01)
unibiker's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/473

Old September 9th 03, 12:40 AM
nathan

I've done A LOT of drafting on bikes, and John Childs is exactly right -
it's generally not helpful below something like 17mph. Biking in a
tight paceline at 25-30mph is a fantastic feeling and not all that crazy
as long as everyone knows what they are doing. This is where your front
tire is 1 to 6" from the rear tire ahead of you. (Sometimes even
touching!)

I've "drafted" on a unicycle going 10-12 mph (for photos), but it isn't
really drafting - you're just riding behind the person in front.

There is one case where drafting on a unicycle actually makes sense: in
a headwind. If you are able to push say 8-10mph into a 15mph wind, you
actually do get some benefit from drafting. The reason is that John's
15-17mph isn't the speed of the cyclist, it's the speed of the cyclist
plus the headwind. So you're relative speed to the air here is 23-25mph.
Be very careful doing this on a unicycle!

---Nathan

--
nathan - BIG rides: Muni & Coker
nathan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/251