9 speed chain on 8 speed system

Old February 17th 04, 01:07 PM
bicyclette

Default 9 speed chain on 8 speed system

I just rebuilt my bike and wanted to get a new chain. I have a shimano
105 drive train from the 92-93 time frame except for the cassette. The
Front Derailleur is FD-1056, the chain wheels are SG B-53 and SG B-39,
the cassette is Hyperglide 13-26 and the rear derailluer is Integrated
8-SIS. My shifters are 8 speed also I believe. As I said, I have only
replaced the Cassette so far from the original 105 system.
1) Is that a cassette this system can handle?
2)Also is there any chance a 9 speed chain would work on this 8 speed
setup? I like the fact the chain is thinner. Or should I get an 8 speed
chain?
3) What components to I have to replace to have a 9 speed system?

There seems to be alot being written about compatibility out there, but
it seems like, say for the last 20 years, there is basically an 8 speed
system and 9 speed system right?

Old February 17th 04, 01:38 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

eddie- 1) Is that a cassette this system can handle?

**Sure, a 13-26 8s cogset will work fine

2)Also is there any chance a 9 speed chain would work on this 8 speed
setup? I like the fact the chain is thinner. Or should I get an 8 speed
chain?

**A 9s chain may be too thin for a 8s index system that relies on the chain
width to get it to the selected cog, with no overshift ala friction. use a 8s
chain with 8s spaced cogs.

3) What components to I have to replace to have a 9 speed system? BRBR

**Right shifter, cogset and chain, regardless of what certain mailorder places
say ya need. As long as nothing is worn out, you DO NOT need front, rear der,
rings...

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old February 19th 04, 12:50 AM
dvt

bicyclette wrote:
I just rebuilt my bike and wanted to get a new chain. I have a shimano
105 drive train from the 92-93 time frame except for the cassette. The
Front Derailleur is FD-1056, the chain wheels are SG B-53 and SG B-39,
the cassette is Hyperglide 13-26 and the rear derailluer is Integrated
8-SIS. My shifters are 8 speed also I believe. As I said, I have only
replaced the Cassette so far from the original 105 system.
1) Is that a cassette this system can handle?

Yes. Shimano says the biggest cog must be 27t or smaller. In reality, you
can use a 28t or maybe even 30t.

2)Also is there any chance a 9 speed chain would work on this 8 speed
setup?

It would probably work.

I like the fact the chain is thinner.

Why?

Or should I get an 8 speed
chain?

That's what I do.

3) What components to I have to replace to have a 9 speed system?

See Peter's answer.

There seems to be alot being written about compatibility out there, but
it seems like, say for the last 20 years, there is basically an 8 speed
system and 9 speed system right?

20 years? 7-10 speed systems have been common in that time frame.

dvt

Old February 19th 04, 01:35 AM
Werehatrack

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 08:07:08 -0500, bicyclette may
have said:

I just rebuilt my bike and wanted to get a new chain. I have a shimano
105 drive train from the 92-93 time frame except for the cassette. The
Front Derailleur is FD-1056, the chain wheels are SG B-53 and SG B-39,
the cassette is Hyperglide 13-26 and the rear derailluer is Integrated
8-SIS. My shifters are 8 speed also I believe. As I said, I have only
replaced the Cassette so far from the original 105 system.
1) Is that a cassette this system can handle?

It should, although you may have to take a little extra care in chain
length matching and rear der adjustment.

2)Also is there any chance a 9 speed chain would work on this 8 speed
setup? I like the fact the chain is thinner. Or should I get an 8 speed
chain?

A 9 speed chain is thinner, yes...and your front der shifts by pushing
on the side of the chain. If the chain's thinner, it has to push
farther to move the chain to the same point of relationship with the
next ring when upshifting. It may work worse than an 8 speed chain.
It will not work better...and it definitely costs more.

3) What components to I have to replace to have a 9 speed system?

The cassette and the shifter, and if you don't already have it at that
point, a 9s chain. (The current der will work OK.)

There seems to be alot being written about compatibility out there, but
it seems like, say for the last 20 years, there is basically an 8 speed
system and 9 speed system right?

8 speed, in its current form, doesn't go back 20 years. *Cassettes*
in their current form don't, for that matter. While 7/8 has a freehub
length change, 8/9 hubs are the same (mostly), and 8s chains are
downward compatible back to 5s. Yes, there are places where things
can be swapped and made to work without problems. There are also
places where things don't work, and places where they work if you have
an adapter and/or know the secret mantra and handshake. (A 7s
cassette on a freehub made for 8 needs a 4.5mm spacer, for example.)
It is not the case that random components can be freely mismatched
with uniform success. Aside from the 7/8 freehub change, there are
rear der cage length and max sprocket size capacity differences, front
der length and curvature issues, and other things to account for as
well.