local newspaper sports poll on unethical sports figures

Old September 15th 07, 02:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
luvjava

Default local newspaper sports poll on unethical sports figures

Our local news just published it new poll question:
Who is the least ethical successful sports figure? (Poll closes at 5 p.m.
Monday.)

Bill BelichickBarry BondsJim HarrickLance Armstrong

I was floored.....
Being from the Newport News part of Virginia, I would have expected Mike
Vick to have been on the list
seeing he put "Bad Newz" on the map, but Lance??

Come vote at: http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-...0,3676812.poll

Old September 16th 07, 06:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

In article ,
"luvjava" wrote:

Our local news just published it new poll question:
Who is the least ethical successful sports figure? (Poll closes at 5 p.m.
Monday.)

Bill BelichickBarry BondsJim HarrickLance Armstrong

I was floored.....
Being from the Newport News part of Virginia, I would have expected Mike
Vick to have been on the list
seeing he put "Bad Newz" on the map, but Lance??

Come vote at: http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-...0,3676812.poll

I do not understand the ferocious reaction to spying in
professional sports. They act like it's cheating or
something worse. I figure spying is a legitimate way to
win. Gentlemen do not open other gentleman's mail. Forsooth!

There are two other high profile spying incidents
alleged currently: one in women's futbol and one in
Formula 1 automobile racing.

Perhaps it is the times.

Vick is not unethical as an athlete.
He is simply a dirtbag.
He needs to change his name.

--
Michael Press
Old September 16th 07, 07:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Kurgan Gringioni

On Sep 15, 10:40 pm, Michael Press wrote:

Vick is not unethical as an athlete.

Dumbass -

It is arguable that he is unethical as a human being.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

Old September 16th 07, 07:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Sep 15, 6:52 am, "luvjava" wrote:
Our local news just published it new poll question:
Who is the least ethical successful sports figure? (Poll closes at 5 p.m.
Monday.)

Bill Belichick, Barry Bonds, Jim Harrick, Lance Armstrong

I was floored.....
Being from the Newport News part of Virginia, I would have expected Mike
Vick to have been on the list
seeing he put "Bad Newz" on the map, but Lance??

It's the immoral/unethical distinction. Briefly, unethical
means violating agreed-upon ethical standards. such as
the rules of the game; immoral means violating moral
codes that nearly everybody agrees upon independent of
games, such as "Thou shalt not kill." See also
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...d1ee4d04140505

Anyway, from Belichick to Armstrong, you have a bunch
of people who may have cheated at sports, which is
unethical. (I would argue that Harrick claimed to
be helping provide college athletes with an education
that turned out to be a sham, which is also immoral.)

What Mike Vick did, didn't cheat at football. I'm sure
even his dogfights were run fair and square. It may not
have been unethical, but it was most certainly immoral.

On the other hand, you might legitimately think your
local paper isn't run by a bunch of hairsplitters like
me. In that case, note the question:
"Who is the least ethical _successful_ sports figure?"
All those other guys are more successful than Mike
Vick. Sure, he makes a lot of money, but he isn't a
very good quarterback. Maybe he wasn't successful
enough to be included.

Ben

Old September 17th 07, 03:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

In article
.com
,
Kurgan Gringioni wrote:

On Sep 15, 10:40 pm, Michael Press wrote:

Vick is not unethical as an athlete.

Dumbass -

It is arguable that he is unethical as a human being.

Perhaps he should get a certificate attesting
to his species, as Corporal Nobbs has.

--
Michael Press