So much fr a growth in bicycle riding from the pandemic.

Old June 1st 20, 02:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default So much fr a growth in bicycle riding from the pandemic.

On 5/31/2020 7:46 PM, news18 wrote:
On Sun, 31 May 2020 12:15:56 +0700, John B. wrote:

On Sun, 31 May 2020 03:36:43 -0000 (UTC), news18
wrote:

As I said, it is your attitude that is the problem and your inability is
clearly demonstrated above.

Right, my attitude.That strange belief that what is mine is mine to do
with as I wish.

no problem there, but by the same reasoning,

While you, being the superior individual that you so obviously are,
have the God given right to tell others what they should do with their
property.

Unlike you I didn't tell anyone, but may a suggestion for what I see as
more desireable for the advancement of "bums on bicyce seats"

Your arrogance is positively amazing.

Yes, I have the same rights to my opinion as they do to their decision on
disposal. Given that Uber is just another greedy coporate parasite, I
have no shame in my opinion. You really should get over it.

Pet peeve moment:

'greedy corporate parasite' ??

Corporations are merely collections of people with a
purpose- to create a return on investment. I've formed,
merged, liquidated and sold a few corporations myself. Am I
a greedy parasite?

Management who are deficit in dividend creation are
typically replaced because that's their singular job- not to
make the world a better place, not to create art or poetry
but to return a dividend to investors.

Back to your larger point, you could buy 20% of the firm and
persuade management to a different policy.

Or you could not use their services. No one is forced to
trade with any particular 'greedy corporate parasite'.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old June 1st 20, 02:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

wrote:

[...]

That is why.

Corporations are merely collections of people with a purpose- to create
a return on investment. I've formed, merged, liquidated and sold a few
corporations myself. Am I a greedy parasite?

Were you?

Management who are deficit in dividend creation are typically replaced
because that's their singular job- not to make the world a better place,
not to create art or poetry but to return a dividend to investors.

Back to your larger point, you could buy 20% of the firm and persuade
management to a different policy.

Lol, on a major loss maker. Easier to just burn the money as suggested
elsewhere.

Or you could not use their services. No one is forced to trade with any
particular 'greedy corporate parasite'.

I don't, but when their goal is to drive other businesses out of
existence, you are forced to deal with them.

Old June 1st 20, 02:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Mon, 01 Jun 2020 08:13:46 +0700, John B. wrote:

Yes, I have the same rights to my opinion as they do to their decision
on disposal. Given that Uber is just another greedy coporate parasite, I
have no shame in my opinion. You really should get over it.

Greedy coporate parasite? You mean sort of like, oh say, Wesfarmers in
Perth, that employ 217,000 Australians? Or maybe Woolworths Group that
employ 201,522 ?

Without all those "greedy coporate parasites" there would't be any jobs.

Lol, another wikipedia moment with a factoid spew?
Perhaps you should dig deeper into these companies and their corporate
actions. hint, they have put more people out of work then they currently
employ. They have done this by repeatedly entering a market, undercutting
the competition until if goes broke. People loose choice ad jobs.

You really should get over your propensity to thuggery as acceptable.

Old June 1st 20, 02:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Sunday, May 31, 2020 at 6:55:57 PM UTC-4, John B. wrote:

Actually Frank, I wasn't advocating anything. I was arguing that an
entity has the right to do what it wishes with it's own property.
Are you arguing that one doesn't?

Nope. As I said, a person generally has the right to do what one likes
with his property, assuming it doesn't harm others. But still, some
things a person might choose to do are, well, stupid. That person
shouldn't be surprised if other people mention that stupidity.

Just as one must certainly be a bit off to spend, oh say, $3,000 on a
bicycle.... and ride it in the rain?

Many would say that's stupid. Others would disagree. That disagreement
could lead to rational discussion, from which various people might
learn a thing or two. If only we could find a discussion group where
such things could be discussed!

- Frank Krygowski

Old June 1st 20, 03:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Sunday, May 31, 2020 at 8:21:04 PM UTC-4, John B. wrote:
On Sun, 31 May 2020 16:16:07 -0400, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Sure, people can make their own choices. They have freedom of choice.
But others can discuss those choices. We have freedom of speech; and
this _is_ a discussion group.

"All choices are equally valid" is way too liberal for me.

Why aren't all choices equally valid... for those individuals that
make the choice?

Easy. Because some choices lead to regret. I imagine you've made some
choices you later regretted. I certainly have.

I can certainly find literally hordes of people that don't think that
an engineering career is suitable, that playing a banjo is music, that
riding a bicycle displays even minimal intelligence, even that living
in Ohio is a logical choice :-)

Those opinions may be fine for the people who hold them. Similarly,
there might be those who mad opposite choices and later regretted
them.

I remember one former English professor who had risen to a very high
level in our university's administration. On visiting one of my labs,
she told me that she still wished she had gone into engineering.

I think her choice worked well enough for her. But perhaps the other
would have worked better. Who knows?

- Frank Krygowski
Old June 1st 20, 03:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

You're apparently using a limited definition of "corporation."

I happen to be an officer in one that is in no way trying to create
dividends or returns on investments, at least as commonly understood.
I've previously been an officer in another of that type. The current
one is, in its particular way, certainly trying to make the world
a better place.

Not all corporations are intended as profit generating enterprises.

- Frank Krygowski
Old June 1st 20, 03:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Frank Krygowski writes:

On 5/31/2020 11:15 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, May 31, 2020 at 7:48:05 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/31/2020 1:15 AM, John B. wrote:
On Sun, 31 May 2020 03:36:43 -0000 (UTC), news18
wrote:

On Sun, 31 May 2020 09:08:17 +0700, John B. wrote:

On Sun, 31 May 2020 00:36:25 -0000 (UTC), news18
wrote:

On Sat, 30 May 2020 07:30:46 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 5/29/2020 11:43 PM, news18 wrote:
On Sat, 30 May 2020 10:41:31 +0700, John B. wrote:

On Sat, 30 May 2020 02:00:34 -0000 (UTC), news18
wrote:

On Sat, 30 May 2020 06:00:08 +0700, John B. wrote:

On Fri, 29 May 2020 12:49:36 -0000 (UTC), news18

wrote:

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-52832791 Uber is destroying
thousands of electric bikes and scooters, after selling its Jump
business to Lime.

Videos of its red bikes being crushed at a US recycling centre
were shared on social media, angering cycling advocates.

Uber said it had decided to destroy thousands of its older-model
vehicles due to maintenance, liability and safety concerns.

In the UK, Uber continues to operate Jump and has not scrapped
any bikes.

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/20/0...uber-destroys-
thousands-
of-bikes-and-scooters

An anonymous reader quotes a report from the BBC:
Uber is destroying thousands of electric bikes and scooters,
after selling its Jump business to Lime. Videos of its red bikes
being crushed at a recycling centre were shared on social media,
angering cycling advocates. Uber said it had decided to destroy
thousands of its older- model vehicles due to maintenance,
liability and safety concerns.

But, "so what"? Don't the bikes belong to Uber? Can't one do what
one wishes with one's own property?

It is a social good question/morality.
Do you throw every thing into municipal rubbish dumps, or do you
distribute it to charities that might obtain some use of it?

I would have to say that it is my property than I have the right to
dispose of it in any manner I wish.

Typical first world arrogance. And wrong, unless you live in s ****
hole of a country.
Most modern countries have laws about safe disposal of property, so
after that, you are free to be an asshole/asrsehole if you wish.
Paying it forward could be a wise investment.

I'm with Mr Slocumb. You missed the principle. Without property rights
there is no liberty.

I didn't miss the principle. As I said, you are free to be an arsehole
if you wish.

You mean being an arsehole for doing as I want to with my own property?
What an amazing attitude.

No, from your attitude. Of course, given your attitude toyour right,
you'll be as stupid as tommy in understnding the point.

Oh Well. You will, please, get rid of your bicycle as I decree that you
no longer require it. I have decided that you just aren't "the bicycle"
type at all. Feel free to disassemble it, destroy it donate it to the
needy, whatever, but get rid of it. Immediately!

As I said, it is your attitude that is the problem and your inability is
clearly demonstrated above.

Right, my attitude.That strange belief that what is mine is mine to do
with as I wish.

While you, being the superior individual that you so obviously are,
have the God given right to tell others what they should do with their
property.

Your arrogance is positively amazing.

John, you are usually free to do what you want with your property,
provided you don't harm others.

But if you spent a million to buy a Stradivarius violin, then filmed
yourself stomping it to bits, people would rightly think there was
something wrong with you.

Heck, if you took several of your own $100 bills and publicly set them
on fire, people would think the same.

Burning money, however, is a federal offense. Nanny government is
interfering with your God given property rights!
https://www.thoughtco.com/is-burning...llegal-3367953

Huh. But the article makes it sound like "freedom of speech" might be
a defense.

So if you said "Watch me burn these $100 bills to demonstrate the
folly of avarice" you might be OK?

But if you said "Watch me burn these $100 bills to prove I'm a jerk"
you could be prosecuted?

Hmm. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe calling oneself a jerk is protected speech?

It's so confusing. That's why IANAL.

I discovered way back when I was a "collage" student that ripping a
dollar bill in half was well worth the entertainment one got from all
the shocked reactions. And after taping it back together you weren't
even out any money.
Old June 1st 20, 04:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

Uber? Wants to out do their competitors? Amazing!

But perhaps you would be more appreciative if they were "a major loss
maker"?

--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 1st 20, 05:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

wrote:

Or you could not use their services. No one is forced to trade with
any particular 'greedy corporate parasite'.

I don't, but when their goal is to drive other businesses out of
existence, you are forced to deal with them.

Uber? Wants to out do their competitors? Amazing!

Wow, you ignoreance of the actions of modern global corporate activites
seems to know no bounds.

But perhaps you would be more appreciative if they were "a major loss
maker"?

They are. With any luck they'll hiccup, crash and burn. Nil sympathy for
the suckers who invested.

Old June 1st 20, 05:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Mon, 1 Jun 2020 01:39:25 -0000 (UTC), news18
wrote:

[...]

By Gorry! Your right. Big companies are BAD! One assumes that is why
you sold your natural resources to the Japanese, closed Holden, sold
your farm land and water to the Chinese.

And now you can lay on Bundi Beach and drink beer all day. Oh! That's
right! You sold your beer companies too, didn't you :-)
--
cheers,

John B.