advisor wanted

Old November 22nd 05, 08:40 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Default advisor wanted

Sunset Lowracer [TM] Fanatic wrote:

commuting (be sure to cross-post to rec.bicycles.tech).

Is Campag better than Shimano?

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham
Old November 22nd 05, 09:09 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Tony Raven wrote:
Sunset Lowracer [TM] Fanatic wrote:

commuting (be sure to cross-post to rec.bicycles.tech).

Is Campag better than Shimano?

Does hard anodizing cause premature rim cracking due to its brittle
nature, or is rim cracking caused by excessive spoke tension?

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley
"Twisting may help if yawl can chew gum and walk." - G. Daniels

Old November 22nd 05, 10:04 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Sunset Lowracer [TM] Fanatic wrote:

Does hard anodizing cause premature rim cracking due to its brittle
nature, or is rim cracking caused by excessive spoke tension?

I don't know about that but I do know you should always grease the
bottom bracket tapers when fitting the cranks ;-)

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham
Old November 22nd 05, 10:42 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Sunset Lowracer [TM] Fanatic wrote:
Peter Clinch, Medical Physics IT Officer, wrote:

wrote:

Remember, that all the experts agree that helmets are very effective in
preventing head injuries in the event of a head impact crash.

For some values of "head injuries" including the very superficial ones,
and if you are saved some grazes then you can still claim the above even
if extra rotation on the neck has snapped it. So a rather dubious claim.

I was wearing my bicycle h*lm*t when loading a bicycle into the back of
a minivan. I hit my head on the open hatch. If I had not been wearing a
h*lm*t, I undoubtedly would have suffered TEMPORARY MINOR DISCOMFORT!!!

A law should be passed requiring h*lm*t use when loading bicycles into
minivans.

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley
"Twisting may help if yawl can chew gum and walk." - G. Daniels

What about just a law banning minivans?
Old November 22nd 05, 12:48 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Dave Larrington wrote:

I am therefore going to lobby my MP to make MartleHats compulsory in car
parks and eighteenth century cottages in the Cotswolds.

Is the wrong answer. What we need is better training for car parks and
eighteenth century cottages so that they don't hit you in the first
place. ;-)

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham
Old November 22nd 05, 07:46 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

On 21 Nov 2005 14:41:07 -0800, said in
.com:

Be sure to get a Snell approved helmet (B90 is the most commonly
available bicycle helmet).

The most commonly available helmet in the US is CPSC certified, not
Snell, and B95 is the current standard. In most of Europe, Snell
certified helmets are all but unobtainable.

Here is a list of Snell certified helmets:
http://www.smf.org/certlist/std_B-90...90C_B-95C.html

Note the lack of any products from the market leader, Bell Sports.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken
Old November 22nd 05, 07:48 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 08:50:06 +0000, Peter Clinch
said in :

Remember, that all the experts agree that helmets are very effective in
preventing head injuries in the event of a head impact crash.

For some values of "head injuries" including the very superficial ones,

And for values of "all" which excludes the numerous experts who
disagree :-)

Guy