Dropping weight for race - 2 weeks to go

Old June 19th 06, 02:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default Dropping weight for race - 2 weeks to go

So, in two weeks doing a hilly 104 mile RR with 9 laps up a 600 foot
elevation gain and a 2 mile/10% finish. I'm not a bad climber but I've
never been particularly lean, even at my highest training volume. I'm
now around 10-12% fat, which is about average for me mid season.
Occassionally I've been down to about 8% (at 145 lbs).

How do I drop the last few pounds in the next 10 days, or is it already
too late since my high volume training is done?

I'll forward all the useful advice I get to JU, too.

-janek

Old June 19th 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

When I find myself in your position I normally fall back upon the old
adage, "Eatin's cheatin' ". If I am able to wake up, have some coffee,
then get out on the bike for 4 or 5 hours and get through the ride
without eating more than a handful of raisins I can usually drop at
least a 1/2 pound of fat and muscle tissue on the ride. Get through
the rest of the day with minimal movement and 3 liters of diet cola.
In ten days you'll be looking like Rasmussen.

Old June 19th 06, 07:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

wrote in message
oups.com...

So, in two weeks doing a hilly 104 mile RR with 9 laps up a 600 foot
elevation gain and a 2 mile/10% finish. I'm not a bad climber but
I've
never been particularly lean, even at my highest training volume. I'm
now around 10-12% fat, which is about average for me mid season.
Occassionally I've been down to about 8% (at 145 lbs).

How do I drop the last few pounds in the next 10 days, or is it
already
too late since my high volume training is done?

I'll forward all the useful advice I get to JU, too.

Keeping your digestive tract moving is good - lots of salads and other
things with fiber, plus plenty of water, sometimes a bit of extra
caffeine. 8% is pretty lean by most standards, BTW, perhaps not LA@TdF
but still pretty damned lean. The big thing to watch out for is
changing too much too close to the race - better to be 2 lbs. heavier
than to bonk or have an upset stomach and DNF.

-S-

Old June 19th 06, 09:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

wrote:

In ten days you'll be looking like Rasmussen.

your hair falls out ?

Old June 19th 06, 10:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Jan, is that you?

Old June 20th 06, 02:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

In ten days you'll be looking like Rasmussen.

your hair falls out ?

Already done.

Old June 20th 06, 05:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:

Ride lots and eat less, but how much less? A pound of fat is about
3500 calories (yum). So to burn a pound of fat in a week you need to
run a deficit of 500 calories per day. (And ride so as to burn the
fat
off, but presumably you're doing that anyway.) That is a moderately
large calorie deficit, which is why losing more than a pound a week
is
fairly hard. Of course you can lose more by going on a starlet-type
lettuce-only diet, but the danger is that starving yourself before a
big race isn't good for performance either.

Just curious, how do the grand tour contenders show up looking like
POW
hunger strikers? They must have lower training loads for a few weeks
before the start, burning fewer calories. Is it a matter of getting
lean while training hard then weighing every meal until the prologue?

They have "others" preparing their food for them. When someone else
puts your food on the plate and that's what you get to eat, it's a lot
easier to stick to the plan than it is when you come home from a long
ride and that bag of nacho chips starts calling you.

-S-

I'm likely to stick to something moderate, just avoiding overeating
for
2 weeks even though my appetite is out of control right now.

Thanks to those that chimed in, even PZ, that's kinda cool. Thanks,

janek

How much weight is worth saving? Ken M General 69 December 21st 05 11:06 PM
Cycling and vegetarianism Preston Crawford General 434 September 25th 04 09:38 PM
Calorie Estimates.... LaoFuZhi UK 59 July 26th 04 07:17 PM
aus.bicycle FAQ (Monthly(ish) Posting) kingsley Australia 3 February 24th 04 09:44 PM
Braking Technique asqui Racing 55 July 25th 03 04:16 PM