Campy Mirage 9 Speed Rear Derailleurs

Old May 5th 09, 05:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
* * Chas

Default Campy Mirage 9 Speed Rear Derailleurs

I'm seeing a lot of Campy Mirage 9 speed mid length rear derailleurs on
eBay. Many are selling for around $30. Are these any good?

I'm looking for a Campy RD to use with an 8 speed Shimano cassette rear
wheel and Campy retro friction DT shift levers or Shimano 8 speed index
shifters.

Chas.

Old May 5th 09, 05:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RonSonic

On Tue, 05 May 2009 04:22:00 GMT, "* * Chas"
(remove spamski to e-mail me) wrote:

I'm seeing a lot of Campy Mirage 9 speed mid length rear derailleurs on
eBay. Many are selling for around $30. Are these any good?

I'm looking for a Campy RD to use with an 8 speed Shimano cassette rear
wheel and Campy retro friction DT shift levers or Shimano 8 speed index
shifters.

I'm happy with my 9s Mirage short cage.
Old May 5th 09, 06:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Have used one for 4 years with only one issue. Needed to replace cable
tension adjuster that broke, probably during transport of bicycle.

Old May 5th 09, 06:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank Wirtz

On May 4, 9:22*pm, "* * Chas" (remove
spamski to e-mail me) wrote:
I'm seeing a lot of Campy Mirage 9 speed mid length rear derailleurs on
eBay. Many are selling for around $30. Are these any good?

I'm looking for a Campy RD to use with an 8 speed Shimano cassette rear
wheel and Campy retro friction DT shift levers or Shimano 8 speed index
shifters.

Chas.

I've got one on my Very Black Bike (a Nashbar "X" Cyclocross), Paired
with '09 Veloce 10-speed ergos and a 9-speed SRAM cassette, it shifts
dandy. Keep in mind, that if you use the Shimano 8-speed levers,
you'll need a ShiftMate.

I'm probably going to get another for the tri bike I'm putting
together on the cheap.
Old May 5th 09, 01:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
P. Chisholm

On May 4, 10:22*pm, "* * Chas" (remove
spamski to e-mail me) wrote:
I'm seeing a lot of Campy Mirage 9 speed mid length rear derailleurs on
eBay. Many are selling for around $30. Are these any good?

I'm looking for a Campy RD to use with an 8 speed Shimano cassette rear
wheel and Campy retro friction DT shift levers or Shimano 8 speed index
shifters.

Chas.

Work fine but as a slant parallelogram, takes more cable pull to move
a certain amount, when compared to the older, straight, non slant
parallogram so...when in biggest cog/lowest gear, lever is gonna be
waaay back.
Old May 5th 09, 05:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_3_]

* * Chas schreef:
I'm seeing a lot of Campy Mirage 9 speed mid length rear derailleurs on
eBay. Many are selling for around $30. Are these any good?

I'm looking for a Campy RD to use with an 8 speed Shimano cassette rear
wheel and Campy retro friction DT shift levers or Shimano 8 speed index
shifters.

Chas.

Just out of curiosity. Why would you want a Campy RD when all the else
is Shimano (cassette and shifters)? Do you want to go the difficult way?

Lou
Old May 5th 09, 06:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
* * Chas

"Lou Holtman" wrote in message
* * Chas schreef:
I'm seeing a lot of Campy Mirage 9 speed mid length rear derailleurs

on
eBay. Many are selling for around $30. Are these any good?

I'm looking for a Campy RD to use with an 8 speed Shimano cassette

rear
wheel and Campy retro friction DT shift levers or Shimano 8 speed

shifters.

Chas.

Just out of curiosity. Why would you want a Campy RD when all the else
is Shimano (cassette and shifters)? Do you want to go the difficult way?

Lou

1. All of my 130mm rear wheels have Shimano hubs and cassettes plus I have
a box full of spares. I don't want to switch to Campy hubs/cassettes and
have to start over again.

2. I'm building up a late 80s NOS Bianchi frame and except for the wheels
the rest of the components are going to be Campy parts.

3. I've run into DT shift lever problems with not enough cable wrap before
when using a 7 or 8 speed cassette or freewheel. Had to switch to Shimano
or Suntour down tube levers.

I want to use wider gears than standard racing model Campy derailleurs
will handle. That's why I inquired about the Campy Mirage 9 speed mid
length rear derailleurs.

Thanks all for the input.

Chas.

Old May 5th 09, 06:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Morten Reippuert Knudsen[_3_]

On 2009-05-05 06:22:00 +0200, "* * Chas"
(remove spamski to e-mail me) said:

I'm seeing a lot of Campy Mirage 9 speed mid length rear derailleurs on
eBay. Many are selling for around $30. Are these any good?

They are kind of heavy beacuas some parts are made of steel but
shifting a Mirage 2009 rear deraliur is 100% identical shifting on a
Chorus 2008.

--
mvh. Morten Reippuert Knudsen

Chorus 08 @ Merlin Works CR

Old May 6th 09, 06:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank Wirtz

On May 5, 10:37*am, Morten Reippuert Knudsen
On 2009-05-05 06:22:00 +0200, "* * Chas"
(remove spamski to e-mail me) said:

I'm seeing a lot of Campy Mirage 9 speed mid length rear derailleurs on
eBay. Many are selling for around $30. Are these any good?

They are kind of heavy beacuas some parts are made of steel but
shifting a Mirage 2009 rear deraliur is 100% identical shifting on a
Chorus 2008.

--
mvh. Morten Reippuert Knudsen

Chorus 08 @ Merlin Works CR

Mirage 2009 does not exist. Did you mean 2006, the last year it was 9-
speed?
Old May 6th 09, 06:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Morten Reippuert Knudsen[_3_]