Ok, what is with clipless or clips?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 4th 04, 04:55 PM
Badger_South

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 15:52:16 GMT, "Peter Cole"
wrote:

"Badger_South" wrote

Just wanted the noobs to realize it's not that difficult to go to

clipless,
find a shoe, and be happy, and that going 'inexpensive' had pitfalls.

But that's my point, I don't think it does have "pitfalls". Spend more if
you want, but the cheap stuff works fine, particularly for entry-level road
use.

We'll have to agree to disagree, then, b/c I want the best shoes I can
afford, but at a price/performance break, since I'm going to be in them all
the time. Don't want any loose threads unravelling at the side after 6
months, etc. You do get what you pay for. Now the actual pedals, I'd say of
course if you know of a 'sleeper' deal, or rebranding, by all means.

I'm quite surprised, but shouldn't be, that I'm having absolutely zero
problems, no knee pain, nothing. Granted I've not taken this system on a
very long ride, and that may be when problems show up.

Knee problems do only show up after significant mileage. My experience has
been that setting toe-in angle of the cleat is necessary, float isn't.

Yeah, my right foot feels perfect. (we'll see), but the left foot seems
like the neutral position is "\", or slightly toed-out, and my foot wants
to be more "|", or straight ahead - it feels slightly like it's slipping to
the toe-out on the left, and holding perfectly straight on the right. Both
were set up the same, AFAIK.

But I'm loving them on the foothills! I'm getting so much power, I'm almost
skipping the back wheel when sprinting uphill and quickly accelerating.

You're getting more force. Any pedal that keeps your foot attached allows
you to pull up, achieving more force. Consider for a moment, if you haven't
already, what happens if that pedal should release when you're pulling up
hard. Pulling up is not necessary or desirable outside of racing. It's a
*really* bad idea when you're a clipless newb.

Now we say 'pull up', but I don't have any conscious notion of doing that,
though I must be. Definitely feel like my pedal 'circle' needs to be more
level - with toeclips I was pointing my toe too much, as I now know.

Thanks for the comments.

-B

Toe clips! hell-on-wheel Unicycling 18 May 22nd 04 11:45 PM
Advice please: newbies and clipless pedals Monique Y. Herman Mountain Biking 43 November 19th 03 10:42 PM
Clipless pedals: lets beat a dead horse... Destroy Mountain Biking 19 August 13th 03 06:35 PM