Does anyone know what you would call this type of washer?

Old December 6th 19, 11:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan S. MacAbre

Default Does anyone know what you would call this type of washer?

My missus had a caliper brake fall of her bike yesterday. No harm done,
luckily. But between the caliper and the frame was a rather handy
washer that (mostly) stops it migrating to either side. Sadly, it was
lost. It's a fairly thick washer with about thirty points sticking out
of each face around the circumference, so that it bites into both
surfaces when tightened. It isn't like those star washers that sit
under a nut to stop it undoing - this is meant to stop parts turning in
either direction once they're tightened onto it. I would like to get a
replacement, but I've never seen them anywhere else, and have no idea
what they are called.
Old December 6th 19, 01:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, December 6, 2019 at 11:40:23 AM UTC+1, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
My missus had a caliper brake fall of her bike yesterday. No harm done,
luckily. But between the caliper and the frame was a rather handy
washer that (mostly) stops it migrating to either side. Sadly, it was
lost. It's a fairly thick washer with about thirty points sticking out
of each face around the circumference, so that it bites into both
surfaces when tightened. It isn't like those star washers that sit
under a nut to stop it undoing - this is meant to stop parts turning in
either direction once they're tightened onto it. I would like to get a
replacement, but I've never seen them anywhere else, and have no idea
what they are called.

Every decent bike shop should have those in their spare parts bin because with every caliper you get two of them and most of the times you use only one.

Lou
Old December 6th 19, 03:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
patrick[_2_]

How bout serrated brake washer , or
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DIA-COMPE-C...-/201680850332
Old December 6th 19, 03:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/6/2019 4:40 AM, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
My missus had a caliper brake fall of her bike yesterday.
No harm done, luckily. But between the caliper and the
frame was a rather handy washer that (mostly) stops it
migrating to either side. Sadly, it was lost. It's a
fairly thick washer with about thirty points sticking out of
each face around the circumference, so that it bites into
both surfaces when tightened. It isn't like those star
washers that sit under a nut to stop it undoing - this is
meant to stop parts turning in either direction once they're
tightened onto it. I would like to get a replacement, but
I've never seen them anywhere else, and have no idea what
they are called.

'Brake star washer', free to cheap at any LBS (new calipers
ship with extras). BTW it will work without a star washer
just oil the faces of a plain washer. Oh, and always use a
nylok nut when it's not an allen mount caliper.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old December 6th 19, 04:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan S. MacAbre

patrick wrote:
How bout serrated brake washer , or
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DIA-COMPE-C...-/201680850332

I found some on ebay and most people seem to call them 'brake caliper
washer' (although cars have something similarly named).
Old December 6th 19, 04:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan S. MacAbre

AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Okay, thanks. I'd have thought that oil would allow them to move, or is
that the idea? It will definitely be going back on with a nyloc nut :-)
Old December 6th 19, 05:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/6/2019 9:56 AM, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
[...]

A caliper brake centerbolt has to be tight enough to not
fall off (previous installer failed on that point) but has
to remain free to move enough to center over the rim.

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/WEINTECH.JPG

Old December 6th 19, 06:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan S. MacAbre

AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Interesting. So, in a sense, they are allowed to 'float' a little bit?
But not too much. The 'pointy' washer is not there to hold it solidly
in place, but to restrain it a bit.
Old December 6th 19, 06:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Right.
The arms float on the spring which passes through a slot in
the centerbolt. People new to bicycles just pull the arms to
one side but on first brake application they move right
back. A slight turn of the centerbolt, either with a wrench
on the centering slots or (as shown above) using the spring
for leverage with a light tap centers the spring slot.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Kiss goodbye to international call charges! Now you can call abroadfor the price of a UK call! APNADIAL UK 0 July 31st 09 04:37 PM
pressure washer Cyclopath! - Keiron General 9 October 17th 06 05:01 AM
Conference Call with Dick Pound Call 1-800-670-3547 Joe King Racing 0 September 14th 06 10:54 AM
Parts Washer Gags Australia 4 June 27th 05 06:30 AM
No keyed washer on headset Rick Warner Techniques 17 April 20th 04 01:47 AM