Cyclist shot and wounded in San Jose area.

Old December 13th 19, 04:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Cyclist shot and wounded in San Jose area.

On 12/12/2019 7:42 PM, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 12 Dec 2019 16:10:50 -0800 (PST), Chalo
wrote:

John B. wrote:

By Gorry! You are correct! If we could just get rid of all the motor
vehicles the bicycles would be safe.

That's how ethics work. If you unilaterally inflict a harm or impose a burden in others, it's your sole responsibility to mitigate it, not theirs.

Too bad motorists are inherently unethical creatures.

That seems rather one sided.
After all most, if not all, states have laws about slow vehicles
saying essentially that they must not impede other vehicles.
Minnesota, for example, requires all vehicles which are operated at
speeds 30 mph or less to display a "triangular slow-moving vehicle
emblem".

Nope. Read https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/169.522 carefully.
Or perhaps, consult a lawyer.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 13th 19, 05:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

John B. wrote:

By Gorry! You are correct! If we could just get rid of all the motor
vehicles the bicycles would be safe.

That's how ethics work. If you unilaterally inflict a harm or impose a burden in others, it's your sole responsibility to mitigate it, not theirs.

Too bad motorists are inherently unethical creatures.

That seems rather one sided.
After all most, if not all, states have laws about slow vehicles
saying essentially that they must not impede other vehicles.
Minnesota, for example, requires all vehicles which are operated at
speeds 30 mph or less to display a "triangular slow-moving vehicle
emblem".

Nope. Read https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/169.522 carefully.
Or perhaps, consult a lawyer.

Yare I know :-) I've been taking lessons.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old December 13th 19, 05:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

jbeattie wrote:

Are all motorists unethical? What about passengers in motor
vehicles?https://cdn.cnn.com/cnn/interactive/...s/media/01.jpg
Is there special dispensation for people who are disabled?

Here's a question: What *is* ethical about threatening people's safety, harming their health, destroying the human qualities of their cities, squandering their natural resources, and laying waste to their natural environment-- for the sole purpose of serving your own temporary convenience, laziness, indifference, and/or selfishness?

Future generations will consider us insane and depraved for this.
Old December 13th 19, 07:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Thu, 12 Dec 2019 20:59:28 -0800 (PST), Chalo
wrote:

jbeattie wrote:

Are all motorists unethical? What about passengers in motor
vehicles?https://cdn.cnn.com/cnn/interactive/...s/media/01.jpg
Is there special dispensation for people who are disabled?

Here's a question: What *is* ethical about threatening people's safety, harming their health, destroying the human qualities of their cities, squandering their natural resources, and laying waste to their natural environment-- for the sole purpose of serving your own temporary convenience, laziness, indifference, and/or selfishness?

Future generations will consider us insane and depraved for this.

That all seems quite logical... until you realize that essentially all
of the commercial transportation in the U.S. depends on the internal
combustion engine. As well as all ocean transportation. And some 63%
of your electricity.

So, what portion will you eliminate?
--
cheers,

John B.

Old December 13th 19, 02:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ted Heise

wrote:
John B. wrote:

By Gorry! You are correct! If we could just get rid of all
the motor vehicles the bicycles would be safe.

That's how ethics work. If you unilaterally inflict a harm or
impose a burden in others, it's your sole responsibility to
mitigate it, not theirs.

Too bad motorists are inherently unethical creatures.

That seems rather one sided. After all most, if not all, states
have laws about slow vehicles saying essentially that they must
not impede other vehicles. Minnesota, for example, requires all
vehicles which are operated at speeds 30 mph or less to display
a "triangular slow-moving vehicle emblem". New York defines it
as 25 mph, or slower; Indiana says 25 mph, or slower. I read
that "According to Bicycling, the average recreational road
biker moves at 17 to 18 miles per hour over flat terrain". --
cheers,

I've relished those few times I've been able to pass a tractor!

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
Old December 13th 19, 04:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Thursday, December 12, 2019 at 1:32:49 PM UTC-8, Chalo wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:

And they sometimes do it on a main street in heavy traffic - bicycle
as well as vehicle heavy traffic where the wrong direction riding
bicyclist is a hazard to others not just themselves.

The hazard is from motorists. Whether the thing that put you in front of a motor vehicle was another bicyclist, an animal, a child, a stray shopping cart, clogged storm drain, gust of wind, or whatever-- the hazard and fault always lies with the motorist. They brought it with them.

I did a 37 mile ride yesterday. It was coldish and I wore some "water resistant" RockBros pants for the first time. Let me tell you to NEVER make the mistake of buying those. They had so much resistance to pedaling that I must have been burning twice as much energy to go half the normal speed.

Of course, I was 12 miles from home and it began raining. Thinking it a passing shower I stopped under an overpass and waited. As soon as it appeared to lighten I hightailed it for home. Well, it was just a momentary lull. By the time I got home I must have weighed 10% than my normal weight. I wrung perhaps a pint of water out of my gloves. Went through the house to retrieve my bike on the side and then stripped in the garage and threw everything into the washing machine. A hot shower with a lot of soap and fresh clothing and I felt a newer but very tired person.

With the rain hiding the bicycle lane lines passing cars seemed to take great joy in hitting any and every puddle as they passed you. Rather than drive one lane over to give a cyclist as much room as possible there would be an entire string of cars, all in the right lane and no cars at all in the middle lane. I have never figured out why people do this. They will speed up to turn right directly in front of you. No wonder when Californians move to other states people always hate them.

The point of this is that I rode 10 miles with carbon wheels and rim brakes.. Coming to a stop I had be aware of the amount of water on the rims. It would take one turn of the wheels to free the braking track of water and get effective braking. Disk brakes are the same way. The only advantage I can see with disk brakes is that you can get a very nice set of wheels and keep then for a very long time since you can replace the braking surface. But at the cost of Chinese wheels does it really matter all that much?
Old December 13th 19, 04:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Thursday, December 12, 2019 at 6:27:31 PM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, December 12, 2019 at 4:10:53 PM UTC-8, Chalo wrote:
John B. wrote:

By Gorry! You are correct! If we could just get rid of all the motor
vehicles the bicycles would be safe.

That's how ethics work. If you unilaterally inflict a harm or impose a burden in others, it's your sole responsibility to mitigate it, not theirs..

Too bad motorists are inherently unethical creatures.

Yikes, what if the motorist is driving an ambulance? Bloodmobile? Communist bookmobile bringing enlightenment to the subjugated masses? Are all motorists unethical? What about passengers in motor vehicles?https://cdn.cnn.com/cnn/interactive/...s/media/01.jpg Is there special dispensation for people who are disabled?

And riding a bike is consumptive and unilaterally inflicts harm on others.. I burn tons more calories than drivers, and I burn through tires and chains with fair regularity -- adding to the environmental damage and human degradation that goes along with all manufacturing activity. Do I lose ethics points? And are walkers more ethical? What if the walker has a herd of resource consuming dogs?

This seems complex and probably requires a phone app or some sort of Chinese social credit scoring.

-- Jay Beattie

Of COURSE only a tiny percentage of drivers are unethical dangerous drivers.. But with the traffic burden even a small percentage means that on any ride you interact with dozens.
Old December 13th 19, 04:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Thursday, December 12, 2019 at 8:59:30 PM UTC-8, Chalo wrote:
jbeattie wrote:

Are all motorists unethical? What about passengers in motor
vehicles?https://cdn.cnn.com/cnn/interactive/...s/media/01.jpg
Is there special dispensation for people who are disabled?

Here's a question: What *is* ethical about threatening people's safety, harming their health, destroying the human qualities of their cities, squandering their natural resources, and laying waste to their natural environment-- for the sole purpose of serving your own temporary convenience, laziness, indifference, and/or selfishness?

Future generations will consider us insane and depraved for this.

When the Earth was formed, CO2 made up about 40% of the atmosphere. Since carbon is the basis of life, the first lifeforms were bacterial in nature. Eventually plants formed and the plants have pulled that down from 40% to 40 parts per million. Part of this has been stored in coal, petroleum and natural gas. But most of it has been stored in Calcium Carbonate - a stone-like material that is formed mostly by sea life.

With our dearth of CO2 we were getting to the VERY EDGE of what would support life on this planet - we had actually fallen to 280 ppm and all photosynthesis ceases at 180 ppm.

So even without his knowledge man has vastly improved this world by using coal, petroleum and natural gas and taken the carbon held in storage out and put it back into nature.

Now plant life is flourishing and in fact would do better with much higher CO2. In the early 60's about a third of the world's population was at or below starvation. Today almost ALL hunger is caused by the lack of clean water or war.

The first can be solved with more energy and the second is in the process of being resolved by President Trump ENDING our involvements in foreign wars that go on forever. This is why the Republicans are hated by the left. Without discontent, you can never force Marxism on people with the lies of improving lives when the real intent is slavery.

If you've fallen for the false prophet of Man-Made Global Warming that is YOUR problem and not that of the world around you which is going along fine and reacting to the Earth's slightly asymmetrical orbit around the Sun as it always has - with cyclic climate change.

Future generations will consider the left insane and depraved.
Old December 13th 19, 06:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:
John B. wrote:

[...]

I've gotten a couple of nice, long drafts from tractors. They poke a big
hole in the wind!

I've also enjoyed a couple of races against Amish kids in horse-drawn
buggies. Is I recall, it was pretty competitive on the level or on an
uphill, but they had no hope of keeping up once we crested a hill.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 13th 19, 07:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

wrote:

John B. wrote:

By Gorry! You are correct! If we could just get rid of all the motor
vehicles the bicycles would be safe.

That's how ethics work. If you unilaterally inflict a harm or impose a burden in others, it's your sole responsibility to mitigate it, not theirs.

Too bad motorists are inherently unethical creatures.

That seems rather one sided.
After all most, if not all, states have laws about slow vehicles
saying essentially that they must not impede other vehicles.
Minnesota, for example, requires all vehicles which are operated at
speeds 30 mph or less to display a "triangular slow-moving vehicle
emblem". New York defines it as 25 mph, or slower; Indiana says 25
mph, or slower. I read that "According to Bicycling, the average
recreational road biker moves at 17 to 18 miles per hour over flat
terrain".

I recall driving in Minnesota once. There were three freeway lanes. The
left and middle lane were packed solid but the right lane was flowing
freely. I didn't understand. There was no sign that the right lane was
ending or that it was an exit only.

I called my nephew whose house I was driving to. He said that the right
lane ended several miles ahead and that Minnesota drivers were so polite
that they didn't want to appear to be cheating by waiting until the lane
ended to merge left.

This level of politeness was frustrating to the MnDOT (Minnesota
Department of Transportation) because not using all the lanes created
more congestion. Eventually MnDOT put up signs with "Use All Lanes" to
encourage motorists to not try to be overly polite.