%$!#-&*@

Old April 11th 05, 12:20 AM
Tamyka Bell

Default %$!#-&*@

Got my bike fit just about perfect on Saturday.

Rode my bike to uni today.

Had a gumby uphill take-off, unclipped my right foot before the left was
in. Very weird. How embarrassment and all that. With the road being wet
it was pretty scary jumping off onto cleats as I was about to go down,
with drivers laughing at me. Then checking the cleats, knowing people
were thinking I was faking it and just unco. Sure enough, had broken off
part of my cleat, gddm it!

Forgot about it on the next uphill takeoff as well, so the same thing
happened! Fortunately, we have a bike shop on campus.

Happy riding all.
Old April 11th 05, 12:43 AM
BrettS

Tamyka Bell wrote:

Got my bike fit just about perfect on Saturday.

Rode my bike to uni today.

Had a gumby uphill take-off, unclipped my right foot before the left was
in. Very weird. How embarrassment and all that. With the road being wet
it was pretty scary jumping off onto cleats as I was about to go down,
with drivers laughing at me. Then checking the cleats, knowing people
were thinking I was faking it and just unco. Sure enough, had broken off
part of my cleat, gddm it!

Forgot about it on the next uphill takeoff as well, so the same thing
happened! Fortunately, we have a bike shop on campus.

Happy riding all.

I've seen a couple of people do the same thing. Clip in and a bit of
black or red plastic comes flying off the bottom of their shoe.
Thankfully you didn't hurt yourself in the process.

Makes me glad I bought these SPD-R pedals with the metal cleats.

--
Brett"The WA one"S
Old April 11th 05, 01:53 AM
Tamyka Bell

BrettS wrote:

Tamyka Bell wrote:

[...]

I hear it doesn't happen if you get good pedals/cleats...

Well I spoke too soon, the cycle shop has to order me some cleats...
gddmit.

Tam

*ego has almost recovered*
Old April 11th 05, 02:11 AM
Carl Brewer

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 10:53:38 +1000, Tamyka Bell
wrote:

I hear it doesn't happen if you get good pedals/cleats...

Well I spoke too soon, the cycle shop has to order me some cleats...
gddmit.

I've had 2 "toe-end" bits of the SPD-SL's break on
me, but that's been over 18 months and some 25,000 or
so km/s, and I've only had to replace 3 pairs of
cleats in that time, two because they broke, and one because
they started pulling out on hillsprints. SPD-SL's are very good.
Worth every cent - the Ultegra spec ones (SPD-SL 600's) are bloody
good pedals & cleats, and having walked some considerable k's in
them after a nasty mechanical, they survive walking when
necessary much better than look etc.

Old April 11th 05, 02:20 AM
Tamyka Bell

wrote:

I hear it doesn't happen if you get good pedals/cleats...

Well I spoke too soon, the cycle shop has to order me some cleats...
gddmit.

I've had 2 "toe-end" bits of the SPD-SL's break on
me, but that's been over 18 months and some 25,000 or
so km/s, and I've only had to replace 3 pairs of
cleats in that time, two because they broke, and one because
they started pulling out on hillsprints. SPD-SL's are very good.

Yep, my Miche's are still in great condition after 18 months and about
7500km. But then, my shoes stay on my bike, except for short stops at
lights, etc. It's good practice.

I'm a triathleteWhat's a hillsprint?/t

Worth every cent - the Ultegra spec ones (SPD-SL 600's) are bloody
good pedals & cleats, and having walked some considerable k's in
them after a nasty mechanical, they survive walking when
necessary much better than look etc.

Surely it'd be more comfortable to walk barefoot! I HATE walking in
cleats.

Tam
Old April 11th 05, 02:54 AM
Carl Brewer

wrote:

I hear it doesn't happen if you get good pedals/cleats...

Well I spoke too soon, the cycle shop has to order me some cleats...
gddmit.

I've had 2 "toe-end" bits of the SPD-SL's break on
me, but that's been over 18 months and some 25,000 or
so km/s, and I've only had to replace 3 pairs of
cleats in that time, two because they broke, and one because
they started pulling out on hillsprints. SPD-SL's are very good.

Yep, my Miche's are still in great condition after 18 months and about
7500km. But then, my shoes stay on my bike, except for short stops at
lights, etc. It's good practice.

7500km? They're not even worn in yet!

I'm a triathleteWhat's a hillsprint?/t

On the bike strength training. Pick a hill, pick a big-arse gear,
slow right down to 10km/h, sprint up hill for 20-30 seconds. Rest
90-120s, repeat. Can also be done into a headwind.

Ob tangent : is weight training useful for cyclists? Some say
yes, some say no ... I used to be in the "yes" camp, but am now
tending towards the "yes, in some circumstances, but generally,
no"

See :

http://www.cyclingnews.com/fitness/?id=strengthstern

and

http://www.aboc.com.au/perl/tips.pl?p=weight_training
(which I should update ... as above, I've changed my mind
a bit!)

Worth every cent - the Ultegra spec ones (SPD-SL 600's) are bloody
good pedals & cleats, and having walked some considerable k's in
them after a nasty mechanical, they survive walking when
necessary much better than look etc.

Surely it'd be more comfortable to walk barefoot! I HATE walking in
cleats.

I'd rather wear out my cleats than risk hurting my feet 3 days before
the Warny