%$!#-&*@

Old April 14th 05, 02:55 AM
hippy

Default %$!#-&*@

Tamyka Bell wrote:
TimC wrote:
Tamyka Bell wrote:
Tam swims bikes runs away

hippy rides alongside, wondering why Tam chose such a difficult escape

I see you have that swim bike thingy.

They're expensive. It'd be cheaper to fly.

I know a guy who knows a guy...

hippy
Old April 14th 05, 02:56 AM
hippy

Tamyka Bell wrote:
hippy wrote:
Tamyka Bell wrote:
hippy wrote:
DaveB wrote:
Come on Tam, don't you even know the first name of your betrothed?
Doh! Don't remind her.. I'm not out of the country yet! :P
*slap*

Ow! Damn you have long arms girl!

No I don't. I have short arms. Pain in the bum for boxing, trapeze, etc.

Bris - Melb is "long" in my book..

Tam swims bikes runs away

hippy rides alongside, wondering why Tam chose such a difficult escape

Curses, foiled again!

Like a baked potato..

hippy
Old April 14th 05, 02:58 AM
hippy

Tamyka Bell wrote:
Carl Brewer wrote:
On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 19:54:37 +1000, hippy
wrote:

Carl, I know you keep telling me to go into every race with a goal to
meet, and I typically do, but winning is still the only thing I'm
interested in. Win or lose. Win or lose. Win or lose. :S :P
It's a punishing schedule.

That's becase, for you at Glenvale, in the grade you're in,
that's an appropriate and realistic goal.

Ha ha ha now hippy won't be able to leave the country as his head won't
fit through the plane doors.

and that wasn't already a problem!? :P

hippy
- really should be heading into the city to get a UK bank account!!
Old April 14th 05, 03:15 AM
flyingdutch

hippy Wrote:

except for Stu and Jason, they're very very good!

You're just saying that so we don't beat you up.. :P

hippy[/color]

meh. let's beat him up anyway.
that way we get more than our money's worth

bait altho Trev was giving him a good caning on Sunday :rolleyes
/bait

F"lowly-Dum-grader-rides-away"Dutc

--
flyingdutch

Old April 14th 05, 04:19 AM
Carl Brewer

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 12:15:50 +1000, flyingdutch
wrote:

hippy Wrote:

except for Stu and Jason, they're very very good!

You're just saying that so we don't beat you up.. :P

hippy

meh. let's beat him up anyway.
that way we get more than our money's worth

bait altho Trev was giving him a good caning on Sunday [/color]

We were working together, believe it or not It didn't
pay though, but without taking risks, there are no
rewards!

Old April 14th 05, 04:51 AM
Tamyka Bell

Carl Brewer wrote:

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 11:11:12 +1000, Tamyka Bell
wrote:

Given that it takes bugger-all time to put on one of those
longjohn wetsuits, and everyone would have the same

How do you figure that? Most people take well over 5 minutes!

I can put on a 5/7mm diving semidry in 5 minutes, and that's
got 4 zips, ankle and neck gussets that have to be folded
so they seal etc. To get into a super-stretchy 2-3mm longjohn
would be a -heck- of a lot faster. It takes me longer to get
ready for a ride than to get into my diving gear.

Don't the zips make it easier to get into, because you can open it up
more? I have found the tri wetsuits really hard to get into because of
how they are designed, but easy to get out of quickly. The tri wetsuits
tear pretty easily if you yank them on because they're thin, so you have
to cinch them on slowly, and work it up your body.

Also in hot weather, there would be a risk of people going into shock
upon hitting the water.

As opposed to them cooking during the run or ride?

Good point, but it's unlikely you'll overheat on a ride unless you're a
complete doofus and don't drink. The run is more likely but if you're
well hydrated from the ride it's not a problem. If you go into shock
from a hot-cold change, you're likely to sieze up. From cold-hot you're
likely to go to jelly and just fall over. Easier to be rescued. If
you're well hydrated when you start the run, and don't give yourself a
chance to heat up (i.e. cool water on the body from the very start of
the run leg) it shouldn't be an issue.

I drove boats for SLSV for years, so my observation is
self selecting

I think that's a keyphrase of yours, isn't it :P

Plus, if you have to think about a swim leg while running or riding,
wouldn't that make it more interesting?

The people who win, only think about the leg they're doing RIGHT NOW.

I find that hard to believe, unless it's the last leg.

Nope. You have a race plan before you start, and you don't think about
anything else until you start. Cycle plan "go this pace, eat this food,
drink this fluid. If it's hotter do this. If it's colder do this. If it
hurts more than expected, do this." The next leg starts once you're
heading into transition. There's no point.

Herein is my problem with tris (and ITTs in general). Where's
the race tactics? There's a whole missing dimension - you're
just racing against your heartrate monitor and a clock.

Surely there'd be times when you would have to think that
now is maybe a good time to hurt my competitors, so that
they'll crack and won't bother to chase me down if I get a
good lead etc. You don't ever think that during a tri? You
just do your thing at MSS and that's it? Having done
a couple (badly!) of ITTs on the bike (and hating them!)
I know that even in that environment there's some tactics
involved (more motivational than anything else really calculating)
when you're catching someone, or getting overtaken it can change
your effort. I'm no TT'er, so I guess I wasn't going as hard as I
could have been so I had some headroom to push harder
when I got overtaken. Urgh, TT's are for training rides ... yuk

Ha ha. A lot of people try that philosophy. They're the ones who blow up
really badly in the run leg and end up with really ****e times. Training
is for learning your limits. Earlier tris are for testing out weird and
wacky new plans. Once it comes to race day, change your plan at your own
peril, ESPECIALLY if it's a long-course.

Like you said earlier, not much to gain from a few metres on the bike,
so if you pass someone, they're not going to be too demoralised. Also,
there's a good chance they're not in your age group, so they won't care.

snip the rest

Tam
Old April 14th 05, 05:45 AM
Carl Brewer

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 13:51:07 +1000, Tamyka Bell
wrote:

Don't the zips make it easier to get into, because you can open it up
more?

With a steamer, yes, they make it *possible* to get into![*] But not
really necessary with a longjohn, except maybe the ankles.

I have found the tri wetsuits really hard to get into because of
how they are designed, but easy to get out of quickly. The tri wetsuits
tear pretty easily if you yank them on because they're thin, so you have
to cinch them on slowly, and work it up your body.

They're unlined?

As opposed to them cooking during the run or ride?

Good point, but it's unlikely you'll overheat on a ride unless you're a
complete doofus and don't drink. The run is more likely but if you're
well hydrated from the ride it's not a problem. If you go into shock
from a hot-cold change, you're likely to sieze up. From cold-hot you're
likely to go to jelly and just fall over. Easier to be rescued. If
you're well hydrated when you start the run, and don't give yourself a
chance to heat up (i.e. cool water on the body from the very start of
the run leg) it shouldn't be an issue.

True

Ha ha. A lot of people try that philosophy. They're the ones who blow up
really badly in the run leg and end up with really ****e times. Training
is for learning your limits. Earlier tris are for testing out weird and
wacky new plans. Once it comes to race day, change your plan at your own
peril, ESPECIALLY if it's a long-course.

So, to paraphrase, you'd not take any notice of what the other
competitors are doing, and just go at your pace no matter what
happens? Essentially you're pre-programming and then just
following a program with little if any scope for adaptation to
anything except miscalculating your exertion and the weather?

In all seriousness, how do you cope with the boredom?
[*] there are some zipperless diving steamers, but they're very rare!

Old April 14th 05, 06:04 AM
warrwych

Carl Brewer Wrote:

So, to paraphrase, you'd not take any notice of what the other
competitors are doing, and just go at your pace no matter what
happens? Essentially you're pre-programming and then just
following a program with little if any scope for adaptation to
anything except miscalculating your exertion and the weather?

In all seriousness, how do you cope with the boredom?

gives tris more time to think about what latest carbonbikeporn, weigh
weenied, microsecond slicing bit of equipment that they will buy next

or sends them slowly insane ...

or.. both!

**reformed multisport athlete*

--
warrwych

Old April 14th 05, 07:25 AM
flyingdutch

Carl Brewer Wrote:

We were working together, believe it or not It didn't pay though
but without taking risks, there are no rewards!

bwahahahahahahah you had that patented 'trev up the front while Car
is mid-field' move down pat!

F"who always gave his baseball coach sh1t too an wondered why he alway
pitched the 'away' roster!"Dutc

--
flyingdutch

Old April 14th 05, 07:36 AM
Tamyka Bell

wrote:

Don't the zips make it easier to get into, because you can open it up
more?

With a steamer, yes, they make it *possible* to get into![*] But not
really necessary with a longjohn, except maybe the ankles.

Are steamers the full arm full leg ones and long johns just long legs?
Because most people swim in the full arm full leg ones.

I have found the tri wetsuits really hard to get into because of
how they are designed, but easy to get out of quickly. The tri wetsuits
tear pretty easily if you yank them on because they're thin, so you have
to cinch them on slowly, and work it up your body.

They're unlined?

They are rubbery outside, and normal neoprene inside, and in general
glued on the outside layer, stitching inside. I think.

snip

Ha ha. A lot of people try that philosophy. They're the ones who blow up
really badly in the run leg and end up with really ****e times. Training
is for learning your limits. Earlier tris are for testing out weird and
wacky new plans. Once it comes to race day, change your plan at your own
peril, ESPECIALLY if it's a long-course.

So, to paraphrase, you'd not take any notice of what the other
competitors are doing, and just go at your pace no matter what
happens? Essentially you're pre-programming and then just

Pretty much. Of course, if I'm catching someone late in the race, of
course I'll try to chase 'em down. The thing you're thinking about is
not taking the bait, because you'll feel the poison later.

following a program with little if any scope for adaptation to
anything except miscalculating your exertion and the weather?

In all seriousness, how do you cope with the boredom?

I don't find it boring. But then, I've never depended on other people's
actions to keep me entertained. I like spending time with my thoughts. I
think about how my heart and lungs and muscles are doing, how nice a day
it is, how lucky I am to be so damn fit when the spectators are
struggling to walk around, how all the people passing me in the bike leg
are gonna eat my dust once we hit the run, etc., other people are boring
when it comes to sport. I think that's why I hate playing team sports.
The only thing that makes up for that boredom is the possibility of
violence.

Tam