Parts for Dynacraft bicycle

Old October 13th 11, 12:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy

Default Parts for Dynacraft bicycle

I have a men's Dynacraft bicycle, Model 8202-41.

It's the Next model.

Does anyone sell replacements shocks for it ?

Thanks.
Old October 13th 11, 10:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Andy wrote:

I have a men's Dynacraft bicycle, Model 8202-41.

It's the Next model.

Does anyone sell replacements shocks for it ?

Those are disposable bicycle shaped objects sold in department
stores. That's not a shock absorber and it never was.

Ask your department store or the manufacturer if they can help you.

Then resolve to buy a real bike next time around.

Chalo
Old October 13th 11, 11:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DougC

On 10/13/2011 4:53 AM, Chalo wrote:
Andy wrote:

I have a men's Dynacraft bicycle, Model 8202-41.

It's the Next model.

Does anyone sell replacements shocks for it ?

Those are disposable bicycle shaped objects sold in department
stores. That's not a shock absorber and it never was.

Ask your department store or the manufacturer if they can help you.

Then resolve to buy a real bike next time around.

Chalo

Well come on now, this is a /tech/ newsgroup.
You are not incorrect, but you should attempt to explain /why/ it's a
poor choice.

-------------

Now then.

It is true that the Dynacraft bicycles appear to be basically Wal-Mart
bikes. Better models may be available elsewhere, but Wal-Mart's site
does show them to have carried at least one "Next" model with an
in-frame shock.

The problem with trying to maintain generic bicycles like this (that is,
those with rear suspension built-in to the frame) is that bicycle shocks
are evolving over time. The original ones were only about 100mm between
the eyelets (the two mounting holes on the ends) and had only 10-20mm of
compression. Bicycle shocks have gotten longer and longer over time--the
better downhill bikes use shocks that are now up around 400mm between
eyelets, and there's a few custom-built models with shocks that are 450+
mm long.

The name-brand companies like Rock Shox (probably the cheapest
name-brand out there now) used to make 100mm shocks but they stopped
years ago as the demand for them fell.

So the consequence of this is that even if you had a bike that was a
really expensive model when it came out 15+ years ago, you still may not
be able to find a replacement frame shock for it now.

(-and if you by a "good" suspended bike now, you likely will not be able
to find a replacement shock for it 15 years from now, either. I have
long contended on the motorized-bicycle sites that if you are building a
custom frame from scratch and want suspension, you are better off
designing your frame to use the generic 12-inch-long minibike shocks--as
they have not changed dimensions in the past 50+ years. The spring rates
aren't ideal, but the un-damped one costs only about $30 and an
oil-damped variant is $40 each)

As the name-brand shock companies stopped producing the shorter shocks,
the Taiwanese and Chinese factories moved into that segment and began
making cheap suspended MTB frames such as what you now see at department
stores. They don't maintain any retail outlets though, so this leaves
you kind of stuck if you need to replace one of these things.

Wal-mart will tell you to take it to a real bike shop; product support
is not part of their retailing plan.

A real bike shop will either--
....charge you a lot for finding a shock that will fit, or-
....just tell you they can't get one, because there isn't one in their
supplier catalogs, and they don't want the bother of the extra effort
involved because they don't think you'd want to pay for the time it
would really take them to do.

If you need replacement shocks for any of the cheaper generic MTB
frames, you will probably have the most luck looking for them on eBay.
If you pay more than $25 or so you're paying too much; these things are
dirt cheap.

You will need to know the length (the distance between the two mounting
eyelets with the shock uncompressed).

Here is one that is six inches (150mm) between eyelets, and is priced at
$12 (twelve US dollars each)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-BLACK-75...e m35b1b862fc

If you POSITIVELY LOVE this bike then buy several shocks now--when you
can find them--because 1-2 years on they may no longer be available at
all, from anywhere.

Old October 13th 11, 11:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DougC

On 10/13/2011 5:39 AM, DougC wrote:

You will need to know the length (the distance between the two mounting
eyelets with the shock uncompressed).

Here is one that is six inches (150mm) between eyelets, and is priced at
$12 (twelve US dollars each)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-BLACK-75...e m35b1b862fc

If you POSITIVELY LOVE this bike then buy several shocks now--when you
can find them--because 1-2 years on they may no longer be available at
all, from anywhere.

I forgot to include in the these shocks were never dimensionally
standardized--so they may have different eyelet widths, need different
diameters of mounting bolts and so on. Since there was no single
manufacturer there's nobody you can email to ask what those dimensions
were--so even after getting one with the proper length,,,, you still
might end up using some different bolts/spacers/washers to get the new
shock attached usefully.
Old October 13th 11, 12:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-BLACK-75...YCLE-SEAT-SHOC...

If you POSITIVELY LOVE this bike then buy several shocks now--when you
can find them--because 1-2 years on they may no longer be available at
all, from anywhere.

I forgot to include in the these shocks were never dimensionally
standardized--so they may have different eyelet widths, need different
diameters of mounting bolts and so on. Since there was no single
manufacturer there's nobody you can email to ask what those dimensions
were--so even after getting one with the proper length,,,, you still
might end up using some different bolts/spacers/washers to get the new
shock attached usefully.

Thanks Doug.

Chalo offered to buy my bike for $150, so I may take his offer. :-)

Old October 15th 11, 06:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Andy wrote:

Chalo offered to buy my bike for $150, so I may take his offer. :-)

It probably has some value as a scarecrow to ward off knowledgeable
bike thieves.

For what it's worth, Dynacraft might actually help you (though I
wouldn't bet on it). Huffy (a similar but unrelated brand) has been
quite obliging about furnishing inexpensive replacement parts for
their hideous abominations unto the Lord for as long as I can
remember.

Chalo

Old October 15th 11, 08:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy

On Oct 15, 12:47*pm, Chalo wrote:
Andy wrote:

Chalo offered to buy my bike for $150, so I may take his offer. :-)

It probably has some value as a scarecrow to ward off knowledgeable
bike thieves.

For what it's worth, Dynacraft might actually help you (though I
wouldn't bet on it). *Huffy (a similar but unrelated brand) has been
quite obliging about furnishing inexpensive replacement parts for
their hideous abominations unto the Lord for as long as I can
remember.

Chalo

Dynacraft has not answered my emails.

When I bought the bike, my funds were very limited.

Looking at the shock, it looks to be built into the fork.

Definitely looks like a "throwaway bike." :-)

When one of them goes out, I will just buy another better bike.

Andy
Old October 15th 11, 09:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Oct 15, 12:56 pm, Andy wrote:
On Oct 15, 12:47 pm, Chalo wrote:

Andy wrote:

Chalo offered to buy my bike for $150, so I may take his offer. :-)

It probably has some value as a scarecrow to ward off knowledgeable
bike thieves.

For what it's worth, Dynacraft might actually help you (though I
wouldn't bet on it). Huffy (a similar but unrelated brand) has been
quite obliging about furnishing inexpensive replacement parts for
their hideous abominations unto the Lord for as long as I can
remember.

Chalo

Dynacraft has not answered my emails.

When I bought the bike, my funds were very limited.

Looking at the shock, it looks to be built into the fork.

Definitely looks like a "throwaway bike." :-)

When one of them goes out, I will just buy another better bike.

One of them? Are you talking about *front* suspension? In that case
you ought to be able to easily replace the front fork with something
rigid.

But yeah - don't let this stop you getting a better bike. On a
budget? (Who isn't.) http://www.craigslist.org/about/sites
Old October 15th 11, 11:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy

On Oct 15, 3:06*pm, Dan O wrote:
On Oct 15, 12:56 pm, Andy wrote:

On Oct 15, 12:47 pm, Chalo wrote:

Andy wrote:

[...]

Front suspension.

Since Dynacraft has no parts or specs list, how would I go about
finding a replacement front fork ?

I have already had one boot come loose from one of the shocks. :-(

Andy

Old October 16th 11, 04:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

On Oct 13, 2:53*am, Chalo wrote:
Andy wrote:

I have a men's Dynacraft bicycle, Model 8202-41.

It's the Next model.

Does anyone sell replacements shocks for it ?

Those are disposable bicycle shaped objects sold in department
stores. *That's not a shock absorber and it never was.

Ask your department store or the manufacturer if they can help you.

Then resolve to buy a real bike next time around.

Chalo

love those Wal electric bikes ! clean, elegant, zooooom. happy owner.

funny thing, only seeum once.