Obstructions

Old December 21st 10, 10:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

Default Obstructions

water.
was at Ferguson Lake above Imperial Dam above Yuma on the 'Colorado'
Volcanic debris/dirt
3 mosquitoes in the 'wash' on the banks of.... THREE from 6 to 10PM.
non-lethal.
back of the wash is a 'geocline' with 6-7 silver mine digggings around
1890-1910.
MINERS cut all the trees for heat, ate every animal walking by, the
ecosystem
and I assume the mosquitoes.
No snakes. Up on the divide off 40 in the Ocala NF.....
The great tail grackles of the Sea of Cortez Nelsoni tribe speak the
same whistle language as Fla's boat tail grackles but more intricate,
melodious. Very friendly. Took several casual attempts over a few
hours to insert Fla BTG whistles into the local Nelsoni dialect. Very
smart.
Not many cyclists outside of Yuma. haven't been to Feenix.
Hereat Blythe before Baja, landlord sez had a 128 degree day last
summer.
Old December 21st 10, 11:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

kolldata wrote:

water.

I was at Ferguson Lake above Imperial Dam above Yuma on the
'Colorado' Volcanic debris/dirt 3 mosquitoes in the 'wash' on the
banks of... THREE from 6 to 10PM. non-lethal.

Back of the wash is a 'geocline' with 6-7 silver mine diggings from
around 1890-1910. MINERS cut all the trees for heat, ate every
animal walking by, the ecosystem and I assume the mosquitoes.

Mosquitoes is why we have cliff and bank swallows along these slowly
moving rivers. We also had swifts until the anti Dracula folks put
netting over the tiled roofs in town, there where SWIFTS AND BATS
RESIDE. Since then there are no more white throated swifts in Palo
Alto.

No snakes. Up on the divide off 40 in the Ocala NF... The great
tail grackles of the Sea of Cortez Nelsoni tribe speak the same
whistle language as Fla's boat tail grackles but more intricate,
melodious. Very friendly. Took several casual attempts over a few
hours to insert Fla boat tailed grackle whistles into the local
Nelsoni dialect. Very smart.

Not many cyclists outside of Yuma haven't been to Feenix. Here at
Blythe before Baja, landlord sez had a 128°F day last summer.

I haven't met many bicyclists who have time to observe bird-life.
--
Jobst Brandt
Old December 21st 10, 11:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:
kolldata wrote:

[...]

Right. When you want to discuss cows, I've seen more than a
few while riding.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old December 21st 10, 11:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

downwind dude....

my observation on the Wright Bros-

bicycle riding aside a levee gives opportunity for matching speeds
with wading birds. WD land airplane style flaps down giving low speed
landing impact.

recent hubris at Sea Kayaker bears around education via other people's
mistakes, two printed were beauts.

sound advice was broadening the trip plan beyond 'we gonna land at
Bougainvilla at 3AM' to include nature observation, a good
lunch, .....

thus avoiding tunnel think, adding comprehension of route in real time
to the intended impact zone.

raining at Blythe, better check the rivah
Old December 22nd 10, 12:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Dec 21, 6:11*pm, wrote:

I haven't met many bicyclists who have time to observe bird-life.

I will stop whenever I can to observe hawks in flight. And on our
coast-to-coast trip in '03, I added well over a dozen species to my
life list, although I don't claim to be a very devoted birder.

My favorite find was a hawk owl, unmistakable even though a bit out of
its range.

- Frank Krygowski
Old December 22nd 10, 03:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

Just down the street: http://www.danecountydairy.com/dairycows.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old December 22nd 10, 03:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Dec 21, 3:11 pm, wrote:
kolldata wrote:
[...]

These small squawky ones chase me off when I pass the nesting grounds
in spring. I flushed a pair of geese out of the ditch one time. In
the same place, a hawk soared over my head another day. A small one
followed alongside for a ways one day (what a flying trip!). The
(same?) hawk regarded me one day as I rode past it standing on a
fencepost...
Old December 27th 10, 12:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 21:48:12 -0600, wrote:

[snip]

Left profile:
http://i52.tinypic.com/2v9udr6.jpg

Right profile:
http://i53.tinypic.com/2cgd7ht.jpg
Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old February 22nd 11, 04:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Brian Huntley

On Feb 20, 11:01*pm, wrote:
On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 21:48:12 -0600, wrote:

[snip]

Ho-hum, just another trio of great blue obstructions flapping off in
the distance and landing on the dead trees sticking out of the
reservoir.

Except that they flap kind of funny and don't look quite right.

Maybe the camera will confirm what I suspect?

Yes, they're bald white obstructions:
*http://i56.tinypic.com/2z811qr.jpg
*http://i56.tinypic.com/bi2b0w.jpg

*http://i56.tinypic.com/t96wew.jpg
*http://i55.tinypic.com/2q0lutk.jpg

They only come closer when I have no camera out.

They're fairly thick on the ground in Nova Scotia for some reason. I
suspect the local chicken industry, but they also love the salmon and
trout. I was dive-bombed by one once while riding in Cape Breton.

Still, magnificent birds.