Nature Valley Girl

Old December 2nd 08, 10:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

Default Nature Valley Girl

In article
,
Amit Ghosh wrote:

On Dec 1, 11:23*am, MagillaGorilla

The problem is "LaPorta Potty" wrote an email to the author of the original
article bragging about how the Nature Valley Girl race was a "model" to
emulate for all women's races. *But then a few posters pointed out that he
only offers women half the prize money! *That, my friend, is a bitch-slap.

Basically, LaPorta Potty was caught with his pants down by his ankles and
someone opened the plastic door on him. *And everyone is now left with that
image.

dumbass,

laporte's problem is that he has bought into the same sense of
entitlement that many racers exhibit.

to me prize money suggests that one is being paid for their services.
normally when one takes a job one comes to an agreement about how much
thy will get paid. the only agreement that exists in this case would
be if there is any minimum prize requirement given the sanction of the
race.

i don't know about the NRC, but the UCI publishes purse requirements
given the level of the race. if the riders took out licenses under
that body - they agreed to that level of compensation, or there is no
agreement in place at all.

if the race paid out what was advertised they should stop
complaining.

But LaPorta Potty tried to make it sound like they did and that he was doing them
a favor by cutting their prize money in half. In fact, he was harming women
cyclists by doing that and going against the will of 100% of the women
racers.

i haven't asked all 134 racers, but probably 75% of the racers won't
see any prize money, but 100% will have to come up with the entry fee.
my guess is that bottom 75% has to cover all or some of their own
fees.

it sounds to me like laporte just moved around $10,000 on his balance
sheet. did any racer ask laporte to reconsider, or do anything about
it other than whine in the comments section long after wards ? if the
racers didn't like the format of fees and prizes they should not have
raced the event.

It appears that they are not.

--
Michael Press
Old December 2nd 08, 12:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

Bob Schwartz wrote:

MagillaGorilla wrote:
The team managers determine the race schedule, not the riders. So, not, they can't choose
not to race. Team managers don't care about prize money.

Sounds like you're saying the riders should take it up
with their team manager.

Bob Schwartz

That will never happen. Riders are pussies when it comes to telling their teams anything.
That's why they need a union with union rules and union wages.

Plus, if any rider did take it up with them, they would likely get fired since most team owners
are weirdos like that.

Magilla

Old December 2nd 08, 12:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

Amit Ghosh wrote:

On Dec 1, 8:15*pm, MagillaGorilla

it's the organizer's discretion how to format entry fees and prizes.
the riders can always choose to not race the event if they feel the
arrangement is unfair.

The team managers determine the race schedule, not the riders. *So, not, they can't choose
not to race. Team managers don't care about prize money.

dumbass,

do you go to a nice restaurant and when you see the prices ask the
waiter to pay for your appetizer since the mains are so expensive ?
and when he declines and suggests you eat at home or at jack in the
box do you say your wife made you go there and you had no choice ?

apparently you think thats exactly how racers should act.

Employment is quite different than a dinner. Riders need to unionize and stop the nonsense and
inequity that goes on in the sport. Patronizing unequal prize money and managers who vote to
cut prize money in half (for women) is bad news.

Magilla

Old December 2nd 08, 12:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

Michael Press wrote:

In article
,
Amit Ghosh wrote:

[...]

Racers on pro teams don't get to decide what races they do. They are TOLD what races
to do and are sent a plane ticket in the mail. That's how it works. You're thinking
of how your Cat 5 team operates.

So when you lower prize money for the racers, that doesn't mean they have the right to
refuse to race because of that. What happens is they show up ****ed off and race like
**** because the purse is ****.

That's why managers don't speak for racers. Managers don't get any prize money and
therefore should not be using their clout with promoters to lower it.

Thanks,

Magilla

Old December 2nd 08, 01:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bob Schwartz[_3_]

MagillaGorilla wrote:
So when you lower prize money for the racers, that doesn't mean they have the right to
refuse to race because of that. What happens is they show up ****ed off and race like
**** because the purse is ****.

The NVGP is, IMHO, highly unusual in that the Women's racing
is pretty good.

Bob Schwartz
Old December 2nd 08, 05:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

In article ,
MagillaGorilla wrote:

Michael Press wrote:

In article
,
Amit Ghosh wrote:

[...]

What I said was too short to be clear. By `they' I meant
potential racers. By `not' I meant not racing, as in not
even joining a team. Amit says if they do not like it,
they do not have to race. I say they do not like it and
do not race.

--
Michael Press
Old December 2nd 08, 05:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

In article ,
MagillaGorilla wrote:

Bob Schwartz wrote:

MagillaGorilla wrote:
The team managers determine the race schedule, not the riders. So, not, they can't choose
not to race. Team managers don't care about prize money.

Sounds like you're saying the riders should take it up
with their team manager.

Bob Schwartz

That will never happen. Riders are pussies when it comes to telling their teams anything.
That's why they need a union with union rules and union wages.

If they cannot stand up to management, how do they organize a union?
If they cannot stand up to management, how do they stand up to a union?

Old December 2nd 08, 05:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

Bob Schwartz wrote:

MagillaGorilla wrote:
So when you lower prize money for the racers, that doesn't mean they have the right to
refuse to race because of that. What happens is they show up ****ed off and race like
**** because the purse is ****.

The NVGP is, IMHO, highly unusual in that the Women's racing
is pretty good.

Bob Schwartz

Nature Valley is basically 3 crits, a flat baby time trial, and a meaningless flat road
race. The only stage that matters is that Stillwater one that finishes on a climb.
Everything else is just a group ride in Minnesota.

Gila...now that's a badgirl stage race.

Magilla

Old December 2nd 08, 06:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

Michael Press wrote:

In article ,
MagillaGorilla wrote:

Bob Schwartz wrote:

MagillaGorilla wrote:
The team managers determine the race schedule, not the riders. So, not, they can't choose
not to race. Team managers don't care about prize money.

Sounds like you're saying the riders should take it up
with their team manager.

Bob Schwartz

That will never happen. Riders are pussies when it comes to telling their teams anything.
That's why they need a union with union rules and union wages.

If they cannot stand up to management, how do they organize a union?
If they cannot stand up to management, how do they stand up to a union?

Plus, if any rider did take it up with them, they would likely get fired since most team owners
are weirdos like that.

--
Michael Press

Good questions. The answer is somebody else who isn't afraid will have to start up the union. And
even then, they will be afraid to join. The problem is most top women pros are pussies too when it
comes to politics. None of them come back into the sport after they retire and do anything worth a
damn.

That idiot ..mini-Phinney's mom...Connie Carpenter Bee....she keeps milking that gold medal from LA
she won back in 1743 like some kind of Steve Johnson headcase. Yeah, we get it..you won a gold
medal in a boycotted Olympics against a women's field of 47 riders, none of whom made a dime in
salary for their entire career. And just because it was the ****ing Olympics, I'm suppose to
worship her like some kind of anatomically correct Adriana Lima blow-up doll with a built-in
Fleshlight.™

She then talks about her "career" in cycling like she was some kind of pioneer in the sport..like
Billie Jean King or something. What is Mari Holden doing these days? Probably auditioning from
some rapper videos using her junk in her trunk.

Women's cycling lacks leaders. The men don't have a union because they are just stupid. The women
can't really use that excuse.

Thanks,

Magilla

Old December 2nd 08, 06:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

Michael Press wrote:

In article ,
MagillaGorilla wrote:

Michael Press wrote:

In article
,
Amit Ghosh wrote:

[...]

You and Amit are back in the 1930's with this logic. You could say that about any
workforce prior to their job specialty forming a union (e.g. autoworkers, steelworkers,
welders, airline pilots, Teamsters, Screen Actor's Guild, etc.)

Eventually, everyone would quit their job if they had that mentality and the only people
who would work would be disenfranchised riders who ride in a tonic state of clinical
depression over their poor work conditions and salary - which is basically what describes
the current women's peloton. If the teams were smart enough, they would realize a union is
actually a good thing for the sport.

The women are going to need to order more Prozac once they hear about this:

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article...009_Amgen_Tour

Thanks,

Magilla