Nature Valley Girl

Old December 3rd 08, 10:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

Default Nature Valley Girl

Carl Sundquist wrote:

MagillaGorilla wrote:
Carl Sundquist wrote:

MagillaGorilla wrote:
Michael Press wrote:

In article ,
MagillaGorilla wrote:

Bob Schwartz wrote:

MagillaGorilla wrote:
The team managers determine the race schedule, not the riders. So, not, they can't choose
not to race. Team managers don't care about prize money.
Sounds like you're saying the riders should take it up
with their team manager.

Bob Schwartz
That will never happen. Riders are pussies when it comes to telling their teams anything.
That's why they need a union with union rules and union wages.
If they cannot stand up to management, how do they organize a union?
If they cannot stand up to management, how do they stand up to a union?

Plus, if any rider did take it up with them, they would likely get fired since most team owners
are weirdos like that.
--
Michael Press
Good questions. The answer is somebody else who isn't afraid will have to start up the union. And

That idiot ..mini-Phinney's mom...Connie Carpenter Bee....she keeps milking that gold medal from LA
she won back in 1743 like some kind of Steve Johnson headcase. Yeah, we get it..you won a gold
medal in a boycotted Olympics against a women's field of 47 riders, none of whom made a dime in
salary for their entire career. And just because it was the ****ing Olympics, I'm suppose to
worship her like some kind of anatomically correct Adriana Lima blow-up doll with a built-in
Fleshlight.ô

She then talks about her "career" in cycling like she was some kind of pioneer in the sport..like
Billie Jean King or something. What is Mari Holden doing these days? Probably auditioning from
some rapper videos using her junk in her trunk.

Women's cycling lacks leaders. The men don't have a union because they are just stupid. The women
can't really use that excuse.

Thanks,

Magilla

"...you won a gold medal in a boycotted Olympics against a women's field
of 47 riders, none of whom made a dime in salary for their entire career."

You want to correct that before I bust you open like a coconut?

What error? Were there 54 riders instead of 47? Tomato, tomato.

Magilla

A quick scan:

Henny Top (Celestial Seasonings)

Muriel Sharp (7-11)

Berglund (SRC Raleigh, some small Cali sponsors as well)

Inga Thompson (7-11)

Tuulikki Jahre (Can't remember, a Euro team)

Cecile Odin (French team)

Longo (More than a couple)

Canins (guaranteed - Bruce can probably dig it up)

Twigg (no need to list)

So if they were paid a salary, how did they maintain eligibility for the Olympics - it was amateurs only
back then, remember? Riddle me that one.

Thanks,

Magilla

Old December 3rd 08, 10:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

Carl Sundquist wrote:

MagillaGorilla wrote:

Carl Sundquist wrote:

MagillaGorilla wrote:
Amit Ghosh wrote:

On Dec 2, 5:36 pm, MagillaGorilla

So are you saying prize money doesn't matter? If so, say it. Why convey it through a murky fog of
Chicken McNugget analogies?
dumbass,

no that's not what i'm saying.

as an organizer you do have certain obligations; usually related to
your permit or sanction, like say providing a medic or a certain
number of police, and also a minimal prize purse if it's specified by
the sanction of the race. other expenses, like a race announcer or a
beer tent or a larger purse might make the event better for the riders
or the crowds or the media, but they aren't obligatory.
I understand that.

But that doesn't really refute anything I was saying concerning prize money and how having a poor purse
****es off pro riders. They just hate racing for nickels and dimes.

Let me ask you something...why do you think Sara Carrigan retired at the age of 28?

She was actually on the verge of retirement since the Athens Olympics (age 24) because she couldn't make
any money in the sport. So lowering the women's purse by 50% - which is what LaPorte was trying to sell
as a good thing - is not a good thing.

Kristin Armstrong will probably also retire because no team will pay her a decent salary..nobody cares
about her gold medal. She will reap her just desserts for not starting or joining a union.

Magilla

http://velonews.com/article/85549/-0...ls-it-a-career

So which is it, not enough prize money or not enough salary?

What's interesting here is that as you get to the top of the sport for
men, prize money doesn't really get any better.

2008 Tour GC money

CLASSIFICATION
1er 450 000 €
2e 200 000 €
3e 100 000 €
4e 70 000 €
5e 50 000 €
6e 23 000 €
7e 11 500 €
8e 7 600 €
9e 4 500 €
10e 3 800 €
11e 3 000 €
12e 2 700 €
13e 2 500 €
14e 2 100 €
15e 2 000 €
16e 1 500 €
17e 1 300 €
18e 1 200 €
19e 1 000 €
20e 950 €
21e 900 €
22e 850 €
23e 750 €
24e 700 €
25e 650 €
26e 600 €
27e 600 €
28e 600 €
29e 600 €
30e 600 €
31e 550 €
32e 550 €
33e 550 €
34e 550 €
35e 550 €
36e 550 €
37e 550 €
38e 550 €
39e 550 €
40e 550 €
41e 500 €
42e 500 €
43e 500 €
44e 500 €
45e 500 €
46e 500 €
47e 500 €
48e 500 €
49e 500 €
50e 500 €
51e 450 €
52e 450 €
53e 450 €

10th place in the biggest, most important race in the world gets you a
less than $5000US for 23 days work (which goes into a pot to get split
up). If there are 18-20 teams in the race, a lot of somebodies are not
going to win very much money. The top GC guy for Quickstep was in 36th.
About $700. Of course there are prizes for stage wins, mountains, and
points, but in Magilla's world none of those would exist.

In Magilla's perfect world of stage races, 100% of the money would go into the GC. Robbie McEwen would,
however, get a green trophy that says: "Fastest Guy to 'that next' telephone pole."

Also, for le Tour GC purse above, the prize money for the top 5 is actually pretty decent (in comparison, the
women race for gumdrop money). You don't deserve anything more for finishing outside that elite tier. Why?
Because you LOST.

Quickstep and all the Belgians have to worship Boonen because they can't produce a Tour contender. So
instead, they make their hero a guy who does blow, wrecks cars while loaded, and bangs 16 year olds their
go-to man.

I'm here to help you, Carl. Please, let's bury the hatchet and try to cure cancer together WORLDWIDE by
riding our bicycles in races.

Magilla Gorillastrong

Perfect. I'll forward this to LaPorte that you endorse stacking the
prize money into 5 places.

How's that for furthering the development of women's cycling?

Tour or Oregon (aka Mt. Hood Classic) only pays 3-deep. You gonna make fun of the people who put on that race
too?

http://www.mthoodcyclingclassic.com/purse.htm

I have all the tools I need to beat you fair and square, Carl. I don't even need an inhaler to do it.

Magilla

Old December 4th 08, 03:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Carl Sundquist

MagillaGorilla wrote:
Carl Sundquist wrote:
MagillaGorilla wrote:
Carl Sundquist wrote:

MagillaGorilla wrote:
Michael Press wrote:

In article ,
MagillaGorilla wrote:

Bob Schwartz wrote:

MagillaGorilla wrote:
[...]

It's bad enough when people don't comprehend someone else's writing, but
it's pretty embarrassing when you can't comprehend your own,
particularly when it's pointed out to you:

"...you won a gold medal in a boycotted Olympics against a women's field
of 47 riders, none of whom made a dime in salary
_for_their_entire_career_ (my emphasis)." You didn't say pre-1984. Not
that it matters. If it's amateurs only, then who was getting all the
prize money at the Apple Lap, the Great Mohawk Carpet Classic,
Somerville, etc, etc? Who was getting all the prize money at T-town? It
didn't all go to The Animal, the Orwigsburg Rocket, The Torch, and Daryl
Benson. Amateur means amateur, right Mr. Brundage? You received money,
both in prizes and salary and still claimed to be an amateur.
Old December 4th 08, 04:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

Carl Sundquist wrote:

MagillaGorilla wrote:
Carl Sundquist wrote:
MagillaGorilla wrote:
Carl Sundquist wrote:

MagillaGorilla wrote:
Michael Press wrote:

In article ,
MagillaGorilla wrote:

Bob Schwartz wrote:

MagillaGorilla wrote:
[...]

I meant pre-1984. You call Somerville prize money? Those other races gave
away food stamps too. Longo's the only one who made money in that group
(obviously I knew that). The rest waited tables when they retired (unless they
married Kiefel, in which case they unpacked boxes in his shop for 2 years before
divorcing him.).

Twigg. Carmichael schooled her and sent her home packing @ the '96 Games.
7-11? What - they get some free Big Gulps? How many of them had to pay for a
Carney abortion? Time for J-Me to work a back-hoe now that Cheerwine folded.

Magilla

Old December 4th 08, 04:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Carl Sundquist

MagillaGorilla wrote:
Carl Sundquist wrote:

MagillaGorilla wrote:
Carl Sundquist wrote:
MagillaGorilla wrote:
Carl Sundquist wrote:

MagillaGorilla wrote:
Michael Press wrote:

In article ,
MagillaGorilla wrote:

Bob Schwartz wrote:

MagillaGorilla wrote:
[...]

What does Carmichael in '96 have to do with Twigg in '84?

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...C0A9679482 60
Apple Lap. 1981. Nitz. $2500. What's that worth in today's money?
Anywhere from $5k to $11k, depending in which relative value calculator
you use. What place is that equivalent to on GC at the Tour?

IIRC, it was a bit of a cluster, because they rode over a steel grate
bridge which wasn't cool. I think Leslie Moore won the women's race.

Jacqui Bradley (Jeff Bradley's sister) won the women's race at the
Mohawk Classic. $15,000. 1981. ($34k to $66k in today's dollars) What's
that worth in today's money on GC at the Tour (for the _men_)? In the
realm of 5th place on GC. Total prize list $71 grand. And it wasn't
split up between 14 different masters categories, either.
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...C1A9679482 60

WTF is a Carney abortion?

Keep talkin' Magilla Ahmadinejad, juuust keeeeeep on talking.
Old December 4th 08, 04:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Carl Sundquist

MagillaGorilla wrote:
Carl Sundquist wrote:

MagillaGorilla wrote:
Carl Sundquist wrote:

MagillaGorilla wrote:
Amit Ghosh wrote:

[...]

Three deep for GC? A NRC race with only a $300 prize list for women's
GC? Sounds hard to believe. And I have to believe it according to 1F3
and 1F4.

Oh wait. NRC rules stipulate that Men's prize list be at least $25k and
women's has to be at least 50% of the men's prize list.

How do you construe that I'm making for of LaPorte?
Old December 4th 08, 04:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
critposer

Bob Schwartz wrote:

How many people in this country would notice if bike racing
went away? Bike racing in total, not just the subset that is
women's bike racing.

Virtually no one would notice. Cycling in the US is known only to the
general population through publicity that Lance generates on and off
the bike, and for the constant harping in the press about pro cycling
and doping, Even the five minutes that it appeared that Landis won the
TdF didn't register with the public.

Women's racing? As far as public awareness, it's in the same league as
the Olympic women's curling team. And with the kind of infighting you
see among the so-called supporters over quibbles like prize money in
the very few significant races here in the US, it isn't likely that
anyone's going to give a rat's ass anytime soon.

Old December 4th 08, 07:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

Carl Sundquist wrote:

MagillaGorilla wrote:
[...]

Okay, so you split $10k between your 5 teammates and you got $2,000. The Mohawk
Classic purse sounds better but how long did that race last with that kind of prize
money. I would bet no longer than 1 or 2 years.

You cherry picked the richest races in the season and then talked about what the
winner would get. 95% of the women made the equivalent of what a Walmart cashier
makes in a summer.

Magilla

Old December 5th 08, 05:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Carl Sundquist

MagillaGorilla wrote:
Carl Sundquist wrote:

MagillaGorilla wrote:
[...]

$10k is $10k and splitting is splitting. It doesn't matter if it was 27
years ago in Jersey or a couple of months ago in Minnesota. It's
irrelevant to the issue at hand.

You're right about the lifespan of the race. I don't know, but what's
the average lifespan of any big $ bike race in the US? How many years
did the Triple Crown (Thrift Drug, West Virginia, CoreStates) that
offered a $1M prize to the winer of all three last? The Super Duper Tour
of America, like many others, can't even get beyond a webpage.

You cherry picked the richest races in the season and then talked about what the
winner would get. 95% of the women made the equivalent of what a Walmart cashier
makes in a summer.

Magilla

ADHD Monkey,

To refresh your memory, this is relevant to your viewpoint that amateurs
did not receive money.

Old December 5th 08, 07:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

Carl Sundquist wrote:

MagillaGorilla wrote:
Carl Sundquist wrote:

MagillaGorilla wrote:
[...]

So they competed in the all-amateur Olympics as frauds in violation of the IOC rules at
the time that said athletes could make no money in their sports? Since Connie Carpenter
Bee retired right after the 1984 Games, she technically had to retire with no earned
income at all from cycling or she would have been ineligible to compete in the '84
Olympics.

So are you saying Connie Carpenter made no money in cycling or that she was an Olympic
fraud? Take your pick, O-CarlWan.

Thanks,

Magilla

Magilla