My greatest fear

Old May 26th 04, 12:15 PM
Simon Mason

Default My greatest fear

Talking of 38 tonne trucks in the road/hybrid thread came this story
in today's local paper. No talk of helmets this time ;-)

WOMAN CYCLIST IS 'LUCKY TO BE ALIVE'

09:30 - 26 May 2004
A woman cyclist had a "miraculous" escape after being run over by a
38-tonne articulated truck.

The woman, in her mid-30s, narrowly escaped with her life after being
hit by the truck at about 11.30am yesterday as it turned left onto
Boulevard from Hessle Road.

She had been cycling with her husband at the time of the accident.

Her bicycle went under the truck, between the first two sets of
wheels.

But the driver stopped before she went under the wheels, although she
was pinned down by the bike.

Station Officer John Levesley, of Hull's Central Fire Station, said:
"She had a miraculous escape and is very lucky to be alive.

"The wagon stopped just short of the second axle - if she had gone
under the wheel she would have been dead."

Firefighters jacked up the lorry's front wheels to allow colleagues to
cut through the cycle frame using hydraulic equipment.

The woman, who has not been named, was rushed to Hull Royal Infirmary
with a suspected broken left leg.

Mr Levesley, who retired from Humberside Fire and Rescue Service just
hours after attending the incident, said: "She had what looked like a
broken left femur.''
Old May 26th 04, 01:44 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

Simon Mason wrote:

Mr Levesley, who retired from Humberside Fire and Rescue Service just
hours after attending the incident, said: "She had what looked like a
broken left femur.''

Should have been wearing a helmet, then. According to Thompson, Rivara and
Thompson they prevent just those sorts of injuries. As well as a variety of
other complaints such as black skin, low income, solo riding and lack of
cycle tracks :-)

--
Guy
===

Victory is ours! Down with Eric the Half A Brain!

Old May 26th 04, 05:49 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Simon Mason wrote:

Talking of 38 tonne trucks in the road/hybrid thread came this story
in today's local paper. No talk of helmets this time ;-)

My greatest fear too, since Bruce Bursford.
Old May 26th 04, 06:39 PM
Simon Mason

"Zog The Undeniable" wrote in message
Simon Mason wrote:

Talking of 38 tonne trucks in the road/hybrid thread came this story
in today's local paper. No talk of helmets this time ;-)

My greatest fear too, since Bruce Bursford.

See the photo under "bike under a truck".

Old May 27th 04, 08:37 AM
Colin Blackburn

On 26 May 2004 14:37:18 -0700, iarocu wrote:

The circumstances of this incident are not known but most HGV drivers
are pretty good. Once I stopped behind an HGV at lights. The lights
changed to green and it didn,t move. Then I realised the driver had
seen me approach in his mirrors but could now not see where I was. I
moved slightly to the right and he waved and started off.
Lesson learned and since then I always stop where a HGV or bus
driver can see me in one off his mirrors.

Indeed, many trucks now have stickers on the back saying something like,
"If you can't see my mirrors, I can't see you." It's always worth putting
yourself in their mirrors.

Colin

Old May 29th 04, 06:31 PM
Vivian

That's because everybody knows that being run over by a 38 ton truck will
crush your skull and your helmet. It has nothing to do with being pro or
anti helmet; it's just.... physics...?

Vivian
-------
"We learned more from a three minute record than we ever learned in school".
No Surrender

"Iain Jones" wrote in message
52.50...
(Simon Mason) wrote in
om:

"The wagon stopped just short of the second axle - if she had gone
under the wheel she would have been dead."

Blimey... someone up there must like her. Nice to see no mention of the H-
word either.

Greatest Show on Earth bugman Unicycling 14 February 18th 04 09:53 PM
The Fear dannyfrankszzz UK 33 August 29th 03 09:47 AM
Greatest of all time Donald Munro Racing 0 July 17th 03 04:50 PM