More on CCFL, 26650, 18650, or 3AA

Old July 17th 20, 02:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default More on CCFL, 26650, 18650, or 3AA

On 7/16/2020 7:46 PM, sms wrote:
On 7/16/2020 5:22 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/16/2020 5:52 PM, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 16 Jul 2020 08:52:47 -0700, sms

wrote:

snip

Each installation is individually tangled, so no two
are the same,
adding to the security of the mounting technique.Â
Best of all, there
is no key required to unlock the knot.

How many seconds until that Maglite would disappear if
you left your
bicycle unattended in Santa Cruz?

With the conduit hanger clamp mount you could use some
tamper-resistant
1/4" nuts and increase the TBBS (time before being
stolen) to maybe 3
minutes.

But, for that matter, why would anybody want to be in
Santa Cruz, with
or without a bicycle?
--
Cheers,

John B.

We know exactly who:
https://www.politico.com/2016-electi...nt/california/

Good luck with that.

Amazing that even highly conservative and Republican
majority Orange County voted Democratic on 2016. Looks like
that sort of thing will be tsunami in 2020 as remaining
normal Republicans abandon Trump.

Don't bet the rent money:

https://www.regnery.com/custom/dsbook/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 17th 20, 02:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Thu, 16 Jul 2020 17:57:22 -0700, sms
wrote:

On 7/16/2020 5:34 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/16/2020 7:27 PM, John B. wrote:

snip

I once "updated" the Linux operating system that I use whereupon my
printer stopped working. It turned out that some "bright spark" had
changed the name of the printer driver libraries furnished with the
new version so all of the printer drivers required re-compiling with
the new library name. Brilliant programming!

"The crap we sold you last year is no good.* Here's the new one."

John forgot Frederick's Postulate: "Linux is only free if your time has
no value."

That may have been true at one point but is hardly true today. I know
a number of "computer ignorant" individuals that simply install Linux,
usually Ubuntu, and go merrily on about their business.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old July 17th 20, 02:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Which just goes to show that anyone can write a book about anything
and get rich selling it :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old July 17th 20, 03:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

Right!
Is this a great country or what?

Old July 17th 20, 03:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

wrote:

[...]

No one is stupid enough to vote for Trump a second time.
Old July 17th 20, 05:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Thu, 16 Jul 2020 17:57:22 -0700, sms wrote:

On 7/16/2020 5:34 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/16/2020 7:27 PM, John B. wrote:

snip

I once "updated" the Linux operating system that I use whereupon my
printer stopped working. It turned out that some "bright spark" had
changed the name of the printer driver libraries furnished with the
new version so all of the printer drivers required re-compiling with
the new library name. Brilliant programming!

Curious - details?
Nit-pick; it wasn't 'Linux' that was the problem but the printing
program(Cups?) and from your description it could have even been the
printer company

"The crap we sold you last year is no good.Â* Here's the new one."

John forgot Frederick's Postulate: "Linux is only free if your time has
no value."

That is true for any computer operating system, but under Linux, I've
only once ever had to wait a long period(months) for a computer company
to release/support software for an item of hardware, where as under other
OSs I've frequently been forced to replace perfectly working hardware for
stuff like drivers no longer being provided.

The advantage of Linux was that for decades I didn't need to pay any
computer company anything up to $20,000 for software for various purposes.

Old July 17th 20, 05:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Oculus Lights

On Tuesday, July 14, 2020 at 3:47:14 PM UTC-7, sms wrote:
After riding around with this light on my mountain bike/gravel bike I've
had several people ask me about this light and where to get it.

To make it easier to share the information I wrote up a little blurb on
it in a shared Google Docs document:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/17TCGXl9N0dD6wNhNHAyf-ZeEfZLp2uf6A4D40BTgZwo/

http://tinyurl.com/ccfl26650.

About mounting, no one has yet to break an Oculus light mount in field use.
Also works great on old Night Riders, a a GoPro mount will bolt right onto it.
Other light makers factor in replacement mounts as a profit center.
I see a broken mount as a rider stranded with a broken light.

Consider the market Oculus targets. Not intended to sell high volume, rather to be disruptive innovation in high impact users, attracting the attention of the LED lighting industry for merger & acquisition or design and licensing. For $150 or $275, the 1800 Ultra or 3000 Extreme, it excels in all aspects vs lights costing 50 - 100% more. This is the light you buy if you want to win RAAM or the 24 Hour World TT, or day long MTB enduros. Or just make your way to the end of a double century without worrying about running out or battery or not being able to see your way, for more hours at any given brightness than any competing light. Its also a favorite of many bicycle "super-commuters" who feel safer with Oculus, on solidly at night, or its triple-pulsing patterns by day, than any other light they could choose to commute with.
Not sure when Frank bought his, I think there's a few improvements since the one he bought, and it may be a 1500, maybe with the old metal reflector and less efficient driver circuit.
As the official light of RAAM, I sold out everything I could make. Ran out of a lot of parts.
Soon as Covid-19 settles down so I can get the boards prepared, a next newer version will be for sale. They were tested at RAAM last year, with great results.
On these new versions, the black rubber seal and plug is now clear urethane, making a better seal and a stronger dongle, beside more aesthetic.
The battery cover is now colored car taillight orange, from a better grade of polycarbonate. Now the rear section lights up in orange like a car light. Without doubt, this makes you more visible to people and vehicles to the sides than any other bike light out there.
With a licensing agreement signed by a long time Silicon Valley product innovator, the first Oculus optics automotive lights will be on the market in about two years.
So Frank, would you like to test out a new Oculus 2200?
Old July 17th 20, 06:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 17/07/2020 02:57, sms wrote:
On 7/16/2020 5:34 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/16/2020 7:27 PM, John B. wrote:

snip

I once "updated" the Linux operating system that I use whereupon my
printer stopped working. It turned out that some "bright spark" had
changed the name of the printer driver libraries furnished with the
new version so all of the printer drivers required re-compiling with
the new library name. Brilliant programming!

"The crap we sold you last year is no good.Â* Here's the new one."

John forgot Frederick's Postulate: "Linux is only free if your time has
no value."

I spent a happy half hour trying to connect to a hidden network on W10
until got bored and took it to IT. They switched it off and on.
Voila! I've wasted morime on W10 than Linux mainstream distros.
Raspbian has soaked up quite some time mind.
Old July 17th 20, 06:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 16 Jul 2020 19:45:47 -0700, sms
wrote:

No one is stupid enough to vote for Trump a second time.

I hate to ruin your illusions, but that's a bad assumption. I know a
few Trump supporters who are oblivious to reason, and are great at
ignoring the obvious. In their mind, Trump is the victim of a left
wing conspiracy dedicated to making him look like a complete idiot.
Unfortunately, a few of these people are my friends. In order to keep
the peace, we've agreed not to discuss or even mention Trump and
related politics. I don't know how many other local voters are like
that. Hopefully, not too many, but from what I've met in SLV (San
Lorenzo Valley), they're quite common. I won't know for sure until
after the election, assuming there will be an election. There's
little to stop Trump from "delaying" the election until the present
emergency is over. Of course, the delays will be endless, and the
emergency will never end. If he's planning something like that, it
might explain why he's doing his best to continue the current
pandemic.

Full disclosu
I'm a registered Republican. In 2016 I voted for Jill Stein (Green
Party) as the lesser of the available evils.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D