Convert hybrid to road bike.

Old May 31st 04, 08:22 PM
Rick Onanian

Default Convert hybrid to road bike.

On Mon, 31 May 2004 12:49:05 -0400, Badger_South
wrote:
On Mon, 31 May 2004 12:37:51 -0400, Rick Onanian wrote:
Cabling? Most people adding aerobars don't put any controls on them.

OK, what about brakes? Looks like the ones I see on the Triathlons on OLN
(Outdoor Life Network) are fiddling with something out at the ends; figured
it was brakes, or shifters.

Shifters. That's for triathlons and TTs, though, not general purpose
riding.

Isn't it difficult to suddenly jump back from the 'aero position', both arms in
the center and elbows resting on the pads to grab a brake lever if you have
a surprise car pull out or something?

Not that hard, although I wouldn't ride without my hands on the
brakes in a paceline. Steering is so touchy on the aerobars that
brakes are the least of your problems if you have a surprise car.

That said, if you think you can mantain control while braking from
the aerobars, at least get in-line levers that don't make you remove
your regular levers. You'll want the regular levers when you're off
the aerobars much more than you'll want the auxilliary levers when
you're on the aerobars.
--
Rick Onanian
Old June 1st 04, 12:36 AM
Kaputnik

I converted an unsuspended hybrid about 9 or 10 years ago. I found
used brake levers, drop bars, and a road stem, so that didn't cost too
much, and I bought SunTour accushifters, no longer available, which
mount on the bars near the brake levers. I've still got it, and it is
a reliable commuting bike that I've even used a little for loaded
touring. It's kind of heavy, though, and I have lighter road bikes if
I just want to go out and have fun.

Herbie Jurvanen wrote in message ...
(snip)

I actually did this myself with a hybrid when I finally got fed up
with the hybrid's bars. $190 bought drop bars, quill stem, brake levers,
bar-ends and shop time and now the thing is more or less a touring bike, and
something like that may (or may not) be enough for the OP's needs.

Old June 1st 04, 01:15 AM
Badger_South

On Mon, 31 May 2004 13:27:29 -0400, David Kerber wrote:

OK, what about brakes? Looks like the ones I see on the Triathlons on OLN
(Outdoor Life Network) are fiddling with something out at the ends; figured
it was brakes, or shifters.

If you're putting pure aero bars, yes there are controls; usually
shifters on the ends of the projecting arms, and brakes on the wider
spaced handles which are used for turns. But "clip-ons" (which are what
you add to standard handlebars) usually don't have controls on them.
Sometimes shifters, but even that's not that common.

OK, Thanks DK. Makes perfect sense, and looking at the bars at Bike Nashbar, I'm now
going 'doh'. ;-p

Have you ever tried those kinds of bars? Experiences? Recommends (adjustable? Flip up elbow pads?)

-B

Old June 1st 04, 01:21 AM
Badger_South

On Mon, 31 May 2004 15:22:23 -0400, Rick Onanian wrote:

Not that hard, although I wouldn't ride without my hands on the
brakes in a paceline. Steering is so touchy on the aerobars that
brakes are the least of your problems if you have a surprise car.

That said, if you think you can mantain control while braking from
the aerobars, at least get in-line levers that don't make you remove
your regular levers. You'll want the regular levers when you're off
the aerobars much more than you'll want the auxilliary levers when
you're on the aerobars.

This is what I was thinking, but I'm still getting the feel of the new bike, so
it may be prudent to wait for a few months.

At this point, riding over an hour, at 16-17mph, (with some speedplay
up to 24mph ) everything on the bike seems perfectly smooth, no pains
in arms, neck. Butt isn't sore anymore; in fact within moments of dismounting
I feel perfectly normal, not even tired - despite riding harder by a significant
degree this week than last (on old bike).

-B
Old June 1st 04, 02:52 AM
Rick Onanian

On Mon, 31 May 2004 20:15:38 -0400, Badger_South
wrote:
Have you ever tried those kinds of bars? Experiences? Recommends (adjustable? Flip up elbow pads?)

I have Syntace C2 clip-ons on my road bike:
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?&sku=3194

and Profile clip-ons on my TT bike similar to their Split Second
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?&sku=2624
except they don't flip up.

I've only used the Syntace much; the Profile hasn't seen much use
yet. It (the Profile) doesn't seem like a comfort bar, though,
definitely an aggressive racing bar. The pads curl up to contain
your arms within a narrow space, to keep you aero.

Anyway, the Syntace C2 gets a big thumbs up from me. I thought I was
going to hate the fact that the pads don't flip up. Turns out, the
pads are anatomically shaped to be held like handlebars, and they
sit pretty high above the bar too; and, you can get a 1" lifter that
puts the whole thing higher (if you want it higher), which then
really gives you access to your bar tops. The end result is about a
million hand positions.

Hand positions include holding the pads like the tops of the
handlebar, holding the pads similar but with the palms of the hands
facing towards eachother instead of towards your torso, wrists on
the pads and hands on the bar's forward or diagonal projection,
forearms on the pads and hands holding the up-legs in various ways,
or forearms/elbows on the pads and hands wrapped over top of
up-legs. Neato.

Adjustability is good on the Syntace. You can move the pads
laterally, as well as spacing the bars closer or farther from
eachother, giving you both total width and arm angle adjustment.

I bought them because they're lightweight and have good reviews. I
had no idea the pads were so nicely shaped for gripping a variety of
ways, or that the pads could be adjusted laterally.

The instructions make reference to charts on the retail box. The
charts are not necessary; the same information is available with
some googling. There is also, IIRC, some sort of cutout for
positioning. I bought mine from Cambria Bike, and they didn't come
in the retail box, but it didn't end up being a problem.
--
Rick Onanian
Old June 1st 04, 12:43 PM
Badger_South

On Mon, 31 May 2004 21:52:12 -0400, Rick Onanian wrote:

Anyway, the Syntace C2 gets a big thumbs up from me. I thought I was
going to hate the fact that the pads don't flip up. Turns out, the
pads are anatomically shaped to be held like handlebars, and they
sit pretty high above the bar too; and, you can get a 1" lifter that
puts the whole thing higher (if you want it higher), which then
really gives you access to your bar tops. The end result is about a
million hand positions.

Thx - 10e6! ;-)

I'm heading out to ride in Seashore State Park, here in Va beach. Low 70s,
nice day for it, 'cept too high humidity.

-Badger

Old June 2nd 04, 12:56 AM
Ben A Gozar

Maybe a silly question of the unimformed, but here goes anyway.

OP has hybrid and wants to turn it into a different style of bicycle. If OP
does not want the change permanently is it possible to double up on the
cabling somehow?

Perhaps move the gearing selectors to a position where handlebar shape
doesn't matter then running two sets of brake cables to the same brake(s),
or running a long enough set of brake cables they could perform double duty
dependant on the handlebar?

It seemed possible as I daydreamed away at work today, though I do not
really know if it is feasable. Just a thought....
Old June 2nd 04, 02:58 AM
Rick Onanian

On 1 Jun 2004 23:56:21 GMT, Ben A Gozar wrote:
Maybe a silly question of the unimformed, but here goes anyway.

OP has hybrid and wants to turn it into a different style of bicycle. If OP
does not want the change permanently is it possible to double up on the
cabling somehow?

There are quick-release cable fittings. I've considered this for
using the same bike for different purposes; have a complete
handlebar setup, attached to a threadless stem, and just use the
quick-couplers and easy stem to change the whole front end in two
minutes time.

Perhaps move the gearing selectors to a position where handlebar shape
doesn't matter then running two sets of brake cables to the same brake(s),
or running a long enough set of brake cables they could perform double duty
dependant on the handlebar?

Downtube shifters, or stem-mounted. Add a coaster brake and change
handlebars every five minutes as you please.

It seemed possible as I daydreamed away at work today, though I do not
really know if it is feasable. Just a thought....

Could work the way you describe it.
--
Rick Onanian

Road Bike or Hybrid? Need Help! K-Man General 25 November 21st 03 11:58 PM
my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM
Considering a Road bike for commuting... good idea? Mike Beauchamp General 116 August 18th 03 11:44 PM
Looking for a cheap road bike Mike Jacoubowsky General 8 August 7th 03 12:12 AM