Childhood pastimes are increasingly moving indoors

Old July 4th 06, 02:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Childhood pastimes are increasingly moving indoors

wrote in message
ps.com...

Veloise wrote:
dragonlady wrote:
You also have to blame urban planners: in many areas, there are no
sidewalks, no safe way to walk to school -- and certainly the roads are
not being built safely for bicycles to share the road with cars.

This urban planner rides a bike.

Keep in mind that many of these new communities -- the ones lacking
sidewalks and SRTS --are in rural areas and townships, built by
developers who aren't going to pay for sidewalks. And the people moving
there are leaving established cities --with vital downtowns, commercial
districts, and sidewalks -- because of paranoia like the "pedophiles in
parks" comment.

It would be unethical of a planner to specify sidewalks in a
subdivision with 1-acre lots and long frontages. Who's gonna pay for
it? And if two blocks is "too far" to walk to go climb a tree, who's
gonna walk on them?

...snip...

Interesting. Here in Canada, sidewalks are typically mandated by the
municipality. In many cases, the municipality will build the sidewalks
and bill the developer, all before any houses are complete.

I lived in Plano TX, just north of Dallas, for several years. Very
affluent area, just booming with new development. Saw very few 1-acre
lots, so I have to believe that large frontage is a minor issue at
best.

Bottom line is that if you don't have sidewalks, no one can use them.
Having lived, and travelled extensively, in the US, I conclude that
walking must be a federal crime. Cycling is probably moreso.

Have you ever been to Windsor, Ontario? We were surprised the first time
we went. It was almost like walking into the Eisenhower era US. The
stockboys at the A&P wore ties. The register clerks wore dresses. There
were SIDEWALKS everywhere. And of course, the obigatory Tim Hortons on
every other corner. . . .

Charles of Schaumburg