Fat guys bike and bike seat.

Old October 9th 03, 11:12 AM
Bran

Default Fat guys bike and bike seat.

(Walter) spake thusly on or about Wed, 8 Oct
2003 22:48:47 UTC

- I'm looking for a bike and seat that I can ride that will hold someone
- between 350 and 400 lbs.
-
- If anybody has any suggestions, I would love to hear from you.
-

been 400 been 350 now just over 300. all on an oem Marin saddle. the
saddle needs to fit the sit bones not the fat ass.

quit whining and ride and when yer butt hurts stand for a while.
--
I hurt before the ride so fibro gives me a head
start on the rest of the pack. silver lining?

Old October 9th 03, 02:50 PM
Elisa Francesca Roselli

I'm a fat lady, 200 lb+ at 5'7". When I first started learning to ride my
bike last year, I was sodomized by the saddle and nearly gave up in pain.
Two things helped. First, I learned to position myself better on the seat
(this "sit-bone" business), but if you're an experienced rider that
probably is not an issue for you. Then, I bought a big fat comfort saddle
for women.

Have you thought of trying a woman's saddle? Female arses tend to get a
lot broader than male ones, and women's saddles are generally much wider
than those cruel looking spears I see on men's bikes. There's also
psychologically more of a will on the part of manufacturers to provide
ease and comfort for women. Men are assumed to be testosterone driven
speed freaks..

Elisa Francesca Roselli
Ile de France

Fat guys bike and bike seat.

Old October 9th 03, 03:50 PM
flatline

For a wider saddle, check out the Brooks line. Brooks makes leather
saddles which are wider than the norm, which are considered quite
comfortable by those who ride them. Some of them even have springs.
Old October 9th 03, 04:44 PM
Badger South

In article m,
Preston Crawford wrote:
On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 03:34:23 +0000, Badger South wrote:

Before you dismiss this as a dis, it's a good idea. I would

Not in my opinion.

Please no flames. I'll only say it once. I'm not a low-carb
zealot. ;-)

I disagree. I think this is a terrible idea. I started biking at 400lbs.
and changed my diet from an unhealthy diet, to healthy vegetarian diet. I
promptly lost 150lbs. and totally remade my body.

Just my experience. Not that your is "wrong", but I just disagree. I did
it my way the exact opposite. I started exercising at 400lbs. and I became
a vegetarian (high carbs, just quality carbs) and I lost 150lbs in just
over a year and 3 months.

Preston

That's cool man. Good on you. It works (mine) if you have some
IR, and are a carb addict.

Bear in mind vegetarians still eat junk food, but in your case
you didn't.

Did you keep it off? It has to be a way of life thing.

I seem to thive extremely well off almost all detectable carbs,
except some incidental in milk, cheese, and dark green low GI
vegs. Some ppl get headaches, or get lethargic. I'm more
energetic, and active.

I sleep about 5 hrs per night when I'm doing it strictly, and
my mild gastric reflux stops, and it improves my skin. I had a
little patch of psoriasis that had been resistant to cortisone,
and a little athlete's foot. That's completely gone.

That's why I try not to proselytize much as I can.

It's all calories in calories out. If you have a bit of
carbo-addiction predeliction, cutting them cuts your appetite.

That helps me stay on track...

Best,

-B

--
Email Replies to johnsonnospm01j att ntelos dott net
Old October 9th 03, 04:46 PM
Badger South

In article m,
Preston Crawford wrote:
On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 19:33:08 -0500, Kevan Smith wrote:

On 8 Oct 2003 15:48:47 -0700, (Walter) from
http://groups.google.com wrote:

I'm looking for a bike and seat that I can ride that will hold someone
between 350 and 400 lbs.

You would do better dropping about 100 poundsd or more before riding.

Disagree, COMPLETELY. As I said in another post, do you remember when I
joined this group? I rode my bike at a fat 400lbs.

Note: This is not me at 400, just me on the way up towards 400
http://www.prestoncrawford.com/album/images/mebig1.jpg

Now I'm 250lbs. and very strong.

http://www.prestoncrawford.com/album/images/me.jpg

I didn't wait to exercise, I just went and did it and I lost the weight
quickly. Diet and exercise, as they say.

Preston

Dude. You Rule!

Best,
-B

--
Email Replies to johnsonnospm01j att ntelos dott net
Old October 9th 03, 05:03 PM
Badger South

In article m,

#1 - Go get an entry level mountain bike (like a Trek 4300), preferably
without shocks, because at that price level shocks are crappy and stupid
and waste energy unless you're mountain biking.

Preston,

What is the next couple jumps up. I have a catalog, but the
numbers and features are a bit confusing.

Is it 4300, the 4100, (facing page), or what?

Then on the next page it has 3700, and the 3500. Confusing,
since they don't have prices.

I saw a nice 3700 for 259 at the trek store here yesterday. Is
that a step up from the 4300, or the other way?

Great post, btw.

-B
--
Email Replies to johnsonnospm01j att ntelos dott net
Old October 9th 03, 05:14 PM
Badger South

In article m,
Preston Crawford wrote:
On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 15:44:56 +0000, Badger South wrote:

That's cool man. Good on you. It works (mine) if you have some IR, and

Eek. 5 hours per night? That doesn't sound healthy. I personally need at
least 6.5, preferably 7 or 8. For what it's worth, my reflux has been much
improved on my diet as well. I recently had an endoscopy done and it came

I went to bed last night at 2am. Was up at 745 and feeling
great.

I do try and get a 45min nap in the afternoon, sometimes just
before or after a ride. I can drop in and Z-z-z, and get up in
40-60min no problem. I'd say 3 days a week I nap. (I'm
retired). ;-)

back perfect. No damage. Of course, I'm still on Prilosec, though, which
I'd like get rid of if I could. Do you take something like that or is your
GERD under control without medication? Just curious. My doctor told me my
GERD was mechanical, so no diet change would really help me lose the
reflux completely.

Man, I was getting the reflux so bad at one point, that I was
woken up as the fluid hit my epiglottis, and some nights, I
would lose my dinner. I tried cutting back on time I ate.
Didn't help much. I was still drinking fluids, water, diet cola.

I went through tums and even considered prilo, and an endo.

At day 6 on my low carb induction it stops completely. I mean
no trace. Period. It's weird.

Guess that could work. I know I was also a carb addict myself when I
started. Then I read the Carbohydrate Addicts diet. I didn't follow the
diet, but I took the advice regarding the KINDS of carbs you eat and
applied it to my life. Read up on the glycemic index and started eating
more quality carbs like sprouted grains and less refined carbs. That
killed the carb addiction thing for me, without having to get rid of the
carbs.

Preston

This is almost just as good. If you don't have trouble munching
and aren't struggling like some low-fat dieters, then you're
golden. I mean, look at you man. Awesome!

-B

--
Email Replies to johnsonnospm01j att ntelos dott net
Old October 9th 03, 05:24 PM
Badger South

In article m,
Preston Crawford wrote:
On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 15:46:19 +0000, Badger South wrote:

Dude. You Rule!

Best,

Thanks. Do you like that second picture? That's me still wearing my fat
guy 6x clothes (for a while I didn't want to buy new clothes, I was too
cheap). So like it's buttoned all the way to the top and I still have a
few inches of space.

Preston

I like the happy expression. I just get the feeling from your
squinty eyed happy as all get-out look that you're one of those
'True Friend', and great ridin' buddy kinda guys.

-B

--
Email Replies to johnsonnospm01j att ntelos dott net
Old October 9th 03, 09:17 PM
Rick Onanian

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 15:44:56 +0000 (UTC),
(Badger South) wrote:
It's all calories in calories out. If you have a bit of

It could not be summed up better than that.

There's a possible exception in special diets like vegan
or atkins-style, in so far as they deny you basic things
that your body needs; so your body must either come
up with those things, or wither away. However, I think
that those diets really work by reducing total calories
in for some people.

I went from 210 to 170 in a few months on this plan:
- Try to keep it under 1200 calories per day
- Once or twice a week, binge and feel better
Once I reached 170, and couldn't get any lower, and
my aerobelly was still there, and I didn't feel any
different, I was getting lots of compliments on my
weight loss. The compliments were the only thing I
liked...I sure as hell didn't like being hungry all the
time.

Then, I decided I'd eat more and try to level off
somewhere where I felt better...and here I am at
210 pounds again! I'm happy with it and don't
plan on trying to lose weight again.

For anybody who battles their weight constantly:
Your natural weight may be more than you want.
Get used to it. Once you're comfortable with it,
it's not bad. It may be more unhealthy to deny
your body the things it tells you it needs than it
is to be overweight, especially if you exercise
regularly.

IANA doctor, medical expert, or anybody else
qualified to say that, so YMMV. 400 pounds
probably isn't the healthiest weight for anybody,
so one must apply reasoning ability too.

Best,

-B

--
Rick Onanian
Old October 9th 03, 09:21 PM
Rick Onanian

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 15:56:33 GMT, "Preston Crawford"
wrote:
I sleep about 5 hrs per night when I'm doing it strictly, and my mild

Eek. 5 hours per night? That doesn't sound healthy. I personally need at
least 6.5, preferably 7 or 8. For what it's worth, my reflux has been much

Just as ideal healthy weight is different for each person
(see my previous message, posted a few minutes before
this one), ideal healthy sleep time is different too. Many
people are healthier on 5 hours of sleep; some do well
on 3 (I don't know if they do that their whole life, though).
I don't do well at all on less than 8, but my schedule
rarely allows it.

Preston

--
Rick Onanian