Fat guys bike and bike seat.

Old October 9th 03, 09:30 PM
Steven M. O'Neill

Default Fat guys bike and bike seat.

Rick Onanian wrote:
There's a possible exception in special diets like vegan
[...], in so far as they deny you basic things
that your body needs; so your body must either come
up with those things, or wither away.

Nonsense. Do you know what a vegan diet is?

--
Steven O'Neill
not quite a vegan
Old October 9th 03, 10:08 PM
Badger South

In article ,
Rick Onanian wrote:
On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 15:44:56 +0000 (UTC),
(Badger South) wrote:
It's all calories in calories out. If you have a bit of

It could not be summed up better than that.

There's a possible exception in special diets like vegan
or atkins-style, in so far as they deny you basic things
that your body needs; so your body must either come
up with those things, or wither away. However, I think
that those diets really work by reducing total calories
in for some people.

I think there's two keys to successful dieting. One is it can't
feel like you're denying yourself food. The low-fat guys are
often ravenously hungry.

The other thing is you have to have something you can stick to
for the long run. I've been on low carb since 1998, except for a
few months in 2002. It works for me.

If you can find the one that 'works for you', then what's bad?

I'm not sure what 'basic' things you're denying yourself. There
is no dietary requirement for Carbs. Through gluco-neogenesis
you can make more from protein. Your brain needs glucose, but
it's very small amt and you body easily makes it.

Most take a K-Ca supplement, vit B and C, and E, plus flax and
flax-seed oil. I ate select fruits, and before bouts of
exercise took fruit juice in one cup amts.

So I didn't feel deprived, ever, and lost 50+ and kept it off
for 5 years. YMMV. I like the way after a week or two, you lose
the cravings for junk food, fries, chips, and you can actually
pick what you eat, mentally, I felt in control of my food
choices, instead of seeing pizza and grabbing three and gulping
them down and saying 'what did I do that for'.

One mid-November (2001), hah, I decided to lose 20 more lbs for the
holidays, and went from 217 to 199.5 on Dec 25th!

For 35 days, I ate the following: Salmon slabs (1"x1"x5"),
green beans, and meat off an actual cooked turkey, vits and
oils, supplements, water, diet soda, and a few Hamburgers, some
nuts and seeds, a little beef jerky here and there.

Typical day:

Salmon, oils, supps - Breakf.
Lunch Salmon, dark green, leafy veg (lettuce, spinach, broccoli
steamed).
Dinner turkey slabs, green beans pnut butter tblsp, x2

This was totally satisfying (I could eat salmon all day every
day, I'm weird...) and no craving, no deficiencies. In that
ketosis thing, some days I wasn't hungry only ate 2 meals, but
in truth, I'd nibble nuts, seeds, a little pnut butter mid
morn, and mid afternoon.

If you're happy at 210, and your clothes fit, what the hey.

It -is- more important to be happy than to obscess over a
stinkin diet.

-B

I went from 210 to 170 in a few months on this plan:
- Try to keep it under 1200 calories per day
- Once or twice a week, binge and feel better
Once I reached 170, and couldn't get any lower, and
my aerobelly was still there, and I didn't feel any
different, I was getting lots of compliments on my
weight loss. The compliments were the only thing I
liked...I sure as hell didn't like being hungry all the
time.

--
Email Replies to johnsonnospm01j att ntelos dott net
Old October 9th 03, 10:14 PM
Badger South

In article ,
Rick Onanian wrote:
On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 15:56:33 GMT, "Preston Crawford"
wrote:
I sleep about 5 hrs per night when I'm doing it strictly, and my mild

Eek. 5 hours per night? That doesn't sound healthy. I personally need at
least 6.5, preferably 7 or 8. For what it's worth, my reflux has been much

Just as ideal healthy weight is different for each person
(see my previous message, posted a few minutes before
this one), ideal healthy sleep time is different too. Many
people are healthier on 5 hours of sleep; some do well
on 3 (I don't know if they do that their whole life, though).
I don't do well at all on less than 8, but my schedule
rarely allows it.

Preston

--
Rick Onanian

I think a key secret is naps. The 3 hour ppl are taking 20 min
cat naps like several times a day if they are allowed/smart. It
can work.

If I cat nap at 1030 to 1100, and from 1630-1715, then I can go
to bed at 2, 230, and be up at 730 no problem. Some research
says that 20 'very quiet in a dark room' minutes at the right time
(if you can fall asleep quick - I can, or I can
meditate/ruminate.) It has to be quite, no interruptions, no
sharp noises, though for best effect, ISTM. ;-)

Some offices have adopted this.

FWIW.

-B

--
Email Replies to johnsonnospm01j att ntelos dott net
Old October 9th 03, 10:52 PM
Roger Zoul

:: (Badger South) wrote:
::: It's all calories in calories out. If you have a bit of
::
:: It could not be summed up better than that.
::
:: There's a possible exception in special diets like vegan
:: or atkins-style, in so far as they deny you basic things
:: that your body needs; so your body must either come
:: up with those things, or wither away. However, I think
:: that those diets really work by reducing total calories
:: in for some people.

I've lost 117 lbs on Atkins....it does not deny you the basic things your
body needs...
You might want to read up before saying that...

::
:: I went from 210 to 170 in a few months on this plan:
:: - Try to keep it under 1200 calories per day
:: - Once or twice a week, binge and feel better
:: Once I reached 170, and couldn't get any lower, and
:: my aerobelly was still there, and I didn't feel any
:: different, I was getting lots of compliments on my
:: weight loss. The compliments were the only thing I
:: liked...I sure as hell didn't like being hungry all the
:: time.
::
:: Then, I decided I'd eat more and try to level off
:: somewhere where I felt better...and here I am at
:: 210 pounds again! I'm happy with it and don't
:: plan on trying to lose weight again.
::
:: For anybody who battles their weight constantly:
:: Your natural weight may be more than you want.
:: Get used to it. Once you're comfortable with it,
:: it's not bad. It may be more unhealthy to deny
:: your body the things it tells you it needs than it
:: is to be overweight, especially if you exercise
:: regularly.
::
:: IANA doctor, medical expert, or anybody else
:: qualified to say that, so YMMV. 400 pounds
:: probably isn't the healthiest weight for anybody,
:: so one must apply reasoning ability too.
::
::: Best,
:::
::: -B
:: --
:: Rick Onanian

Old October 9th 03, 10:53 PM
Roger Zoul

Preston Crawford wrote:
:: On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 19:33:08 -0500, Kevan Smith wrote:
::
::: On 8 Oct 2003 15:48:47 -0700, (Walter)
::: from
http://groups.google.com wrote:
:::
:::: I'm looking for a bike and seat that I can ride that will hold
:::: someone between 350 and 400 lbs.
:::
::: You would do better dropping about 100 poundsd or more before
::: riding.
::
:: Disagree, COMPLETELY. As I said in another post, do you remember
:: when I joined this group? I rode my bike at a fat 400lbs.
::
:: Note: This is not me at 400, just me on the way up towards 400
:: http://www.prestoncrawford.com/album/images/mebig1.jpg
::
:: Now I'm 250lbs. and very strong.
::
:: http://www.prestoncrawford.com/album/images/me.jpg
::
:: I didn't wait to exercise, I just went and did it and I lost the
:: weight quickly. Diet and exercise, as they say.

I agree with you 100% -- as long as one is able to do the exercise. I did
the same thing as you, except Im just now getting into bike riding...

Old October 9th 03, 10:55 PM
Roger Zoul

Preston Crawford wrote:
:: On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 15:46:19 +0000, Badger South wrote:
::
::: Dude. You Rule!
:::
::: Best,
::
:: Thanks. Do you like that second picture? That's me still wearing my
:: fat guy 6x clothes (for a while I didn't want to buy new clothes, I
:: was too cheap). So like it's buttoned all the way to the top and I
:: still have a few inches of space.

Get rid of all of your fat guy 6x clothes....don't ever leave a road back!

Good job. I weigh 250 lbs now (just got my bike 3 weeks ago, doing on a
28-mile trek on Saturday).

Old October 9th 03, 10:57 PM
Roger Zoul

Preston Crawford wrote:
:: On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 15:48:47 -0700, Walter wrote:
::
::: Most of the people posting are normal size and ride all the time.
::: Most of the bike seats are made for those people, which is
::: understandable because there is a larger market for these. They are
::: trying their best to help, but don't have a real handle on the
::: problem.
::
:: I disagree. As you'll seen in other posts, I started biking at
:: 400lbs. and lost 150lbs. biking and eating a healthy vegetarian
:: diet. And I rode a stock seat on a Trek 4300. That was the bike I
:: lost most of the weight on. The keys are...
::
:: A - Don't be afraid to get someone to make you a custom wheel,
:: because the wheel is what is going to give you the biggest problem
:: at that weight, but on a mountain bike this won't be a problem.
::
:: B - Get a bigger seat if you want, but I've found the smaller seats
:: to be more comfortable than bigger seats, just so long as you're
:: riding on your sit bones (ask someone at your local shop about this)
:: rather than your crotch.
::
:: Otherwise, the rest of what you wrote is nonesense. Trust me. I've
:: been there.
::
::: I'm looking for a bike and seat that I can ride that will hold
::: someone between 350 and 400 lbs.
:::
::: If anybody has any suggestions, I would love to hear from you.
::
:: My advice, which runs contrary to all your assumptions, but I'm
:: going to give it anyway, because I've been where you've been, but
:: worse is to...
::
:: #1 - Go get an entry level mountain bike (like a Trek 4300),
:: preferably without shocks, because at that price level shocks are
:: crappy and stupid and waste energy unless you're mountain biking.
::
:: #2 - Put slick tires on the bike so the ride isn't so bumpy. This
:: will help with the discomfort more than changing out the seat.
::
:: #3 - If you don't like the seat, buy like a Specialized Body Geometry
:: seat. They have a couple models that force you to sit on your sit
:: bones instead of your butt or your crotch. This is much more
:: comfortable and is the proper place to ride.
::
:: #4 - Enjoy riding your bike. If you have the right attitude about it,
:: there may be a *little* pain, but the gain is worth it.

I agree with you 100% Preston!

Old October 9th 03, 10:58 PM
Bob M

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 17:53:58 -0400, Roger Zoul
wrote:

Preston Crawford wrote:
[...]

I also started at 260 and now weigh 209. However, I also rode my bike a
lot in recent years and my weight ballooned due to an injury and the
inability to do any exercise (along with other factors such as insulin
resistance).

--
Bob M in CT
Remove 'x.' to reply