Those French!

Old July 29th 05, 06:16 AM

Howard Kveck wrote:
In article .com,
" wrote:

Please learn how to quote a usenet post properly.

mj

...said the man who quoted nothing.

I was responding to his entire post - was that not evident?

mj

Old July 29th 05, 07:15 AM
Stewart Fleming

h squared wrote:

lol, be careful! my bf had a "friend" named larry that i never met but
still renamed to "asshole larry" because he invited my bf and me over to
his house and:
"you and i can play board games and your girlfriend can hang out with my
wife and make brownies in the kitchen"

hey and if this guy larry had wanted you to hang out with him and make
brownies, he'd STILL be able to be called "asshole larry"
Old July 29th 05, 07:20 AM
Stewart Fleming

h squared wrote:

"you and i can play board games and your girlfriend can hang out with my
wife and make brownies in the kitchen"

Talking of baking, I have an opportunity for the coffee/donuts franchise...
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050728/...NlYwMlJVRPUCUl
"Canadian newspapers are using the affair to generate summer
entertainment -- one suggested Ottawa should set up a coffee and donut
outlet on the rock, which is 1,000 km (620 miles) from the North Pole."

Screw Canada, RBR should make a claim and get that stand going.
Old July 29th 05, 07:36 AM
Stewart Fleming

Ewoud Dronkert wrote:

OK, I thought it was a rule, I remembered incorrectly. (Hey, les Pays-Bas!
(but la Hollande)).

Salut Ewoud!

http://www.staff.city.ac.uk/~ra735/g...oungender.html
Country gender

Most of the nouns of countries have a –E ending and are feminine:

* L’Angleterre
* L’Autriche
* La France

With the exception of le Mexique and le Zaïre. (Mexico, Zaire)

If the country does not end with an –E then its gender is masculine:

* Le Brésil
* Le Canada
* Le Luxembourg

Enchanté,
Stu
Old July 29th 05, 07:39 AM
Stewart Fleming

Howard Kveck wrote:

I once had a run-in with the Welsh Mafia. They made me an offer I
couldn't understand...

Have a good trip Howard?
This has been said about the "Tartan Mafia" too.
As we used to say: "Come home to a real fire....Buy a holiday cottage in
Wales."
Old July 29th 05, 07:46 AM
Stewart Fleming

h squared wrote:
yes, but the guy in my story could have answered the question in french,
couldn't he?? and i should stress that i'm sure this guy was just a jerk
and didn't want to be bothered to help my bf out, it had nothing to do
with being french. he would have been a jerk just as well in any other
country.

This happened to me at my sister's (hi Ewoud) wedding, talking to a
French couple. I collected them from the station, spoke French to them
from the start since sis had told me thier English was not so good.
Every time they answered, it was in English. Enormously confusing.

Not as confusing as when Dad was in France and another English person
came up and asked (in bad French), if he spoke English. Dad replies "No."

I used to be able to pass for Bréton, but not any more.
Stu
Loves France.
Old July 29th 05, 08:29 AM
Howard Kveck

In article . com,
" wrote:

Howard Kveck wrote:
In article .com,
" wrote:

Please learn how to quote a usenet post properly.

mj

...said the man who quoted nothing.

I was responding to his entire post - was that not evident?

mj

Yes, that was not evident. In my response to your post, I didn't snip
any of your post, and, as you can see, your post only includes your words.
There's no indication of who you're responding to. Google has an option to

tanx,
Howard

Butter is love.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old July 29th 05, 09:13 AM
Ewoud Dronkert

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 18:46:12 +1200, Stewart Fleming wrote:
This happened to me at my sister's (hi Ewoud) wedding,

What, you married your sister?! Damn French speaking kiwi's.

--
Firefox Browser - Rediscover the web - http://getffox.com/
Old July 29th 05, 09:16 AM
Donald Munro

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
Unlike the backwards Euros, we're not scared of putting cyclists into
wind tunnels. Even some Masters Fatties have been in the wind tunnel,
but not Jan Ullrich.

According to the dumbass UCI rules Ullrich is a Masters Fatty.

Old July 29th 05, 09:18 AM
Ewoud Dronkert

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 18:36:20 +1200, Stewart Fleming wrote:
Country gender

I tried googling, but couldn't come up with right search term right away.
Gender, yes. You won't believe the crap you get when entering anything,
and male, female. No luck with masculin, femini either, but I must confess
I already spent more time on this post then on the googling exercise.

--
Firefox Browser - Rediscover the web - http://getffox.com/

Anti French [email protected] Racing 32 July 7th 05 03:29 PM
French Alps incorrect sea-to-lake tour Nice-Geneva Ken Roberts Rides 11 November 7th 04 06:33 PM
French frame questions Sheldon Brown Techniques 3 September 21st 04 08:11 PM
French Thread on '82 Motobecane? Art Harris Techniques 2 October 8th 03 08:47 PM