AG: Aunt Granny's Advice, or How to become an elderly cyclist:

Old November 12th 15, 04:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Fuel: some assembly required.

On Tue, 10 Nov 2015 23:30:44 -0400, Joy Beeson
wrote:

The Marathon in Leesburg

Pierceton! Why I say "Leesburg" when I mean "Pierceton", I have no
idea. Neither the words nor the towns have anything in common.

--
Joy Beeson, U.S.A., mostly central Hoosier,
some Northern Indiana, Upstate New York, Florida, and Hawaii

Old November 15th 15, 03:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Fuel: High Calorie Muffins

from
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/COOKBOOK/COOKBOOK.TXT

High Calorie Muffins

1 cup raw sunflower seeds
1 cup raisins
1 cup self-rising mixed edible powder
1 cup liquid (more or less)
sweetener to taste

Mix ingredients, divide among twelve or eighteen generously-oiled
muffin tins, bake at 350ø (or what whatever else you're baking takes)
until done.
A cup of the syrup off canned fruit makes a good muffin. Apple-
juice concentrate makes the muffin unpleasantly tart. A few overripe
bananas instead of liquid make a very good muffin. Honey is good when
the powder is of delicate flavor; molasses is good with spices -- but
spiced muffins aren't good on the road.
Package in sandwich bags and freeze until wanted. Muffins will
keep two or three weeks in the freezer and about twelve hours at 90ø.

These muffins were my answer to a cyclist's need for small amounts
of food at frequent intervals, and an old lady's need to be fed
immediately when hungry.

"Mixed edible powder" is assorted thises and thats to taste:
soy flour and torula yeast for meat, kelp powder for vegetables, rose
hip powder for fruit, malt flour for flavor, potato flour because I
want to use it up, calcium carbonate because I don't want to put milk
in something that may sit around for hours at incubator temperature,
.. . . , sufficient whole-wheat bread flour to make six cups, and two
tablespoons of baking powder. It makes good pancakes if it's at least
two-thirds wheat flour. Sift the powder from one bowl [or square of
waxed paper] to another until thoroughly mixed. An old-fashioned
crank-type sifter is almost essential for this operation. A
half-gallon tea strainer will work. A five-pound honey tin holds six
cups of mix. Mix keeps indefinitely if kept in an airtight container
in the freezer, but might go rancid at room temperature.
White-flour muffins don't cotton to raisins and sunflower seeds,
but a mix based on white flour can make good pancakes.

Washing eighteen muffin cups got old really fast. I tried making bars
by baking the batter in a cake pan and slicing it, but the cake didn't
have sufficient tensile strength. (Maybe more gluten in the
self-rising mixed edible powder?) Then I tried baking it sheet-cookie
style, and the crust held the bars together.

Old November 22nd 15, 03:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Never lead a pedestrian

Y'know how when you are waiting for a car to get out of your way, you
lead him a little? That is, you start to get back into the saddle
while he is still in front of you -- or if he's moving fast and is on
the other side of the street, before he even gets there -- and by the
time you get to the lane he is in, he's long gone.

Don't EVER pull that stunt on a pedestrian. When a pedestrian sees a
vehicle start getting ready to move, he stops dead in his tracks. It's
hard-wired on a subconscious level that a stationary target is easier
to miss, and the reflex clicks in without consulting the cortex.

If you were expecting to pass behind him, he will freeze in the exact
center of your intended path. Much confusion and embarrassment will
ensue.

Old November 23rd 15, 10:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Saturday, November 21, 2015 at 10:17:14 PM UTC-5, Joy Beeson wrote:
Y'know how when you are waiting for a car to get out of your way, you
lead him a little? That is, you start to get back into the saddle
while he is still in front of you -- or if he's moving fast and is on
the other side of the street, before he even gets there -- and by the
time you get to the lane he is in, he's long gone.

Don't EVER pull that stunt on a pedestrian. When a pedestrian sees a
vehicle start getting ready to move, he stops dead in his tracks. It's
hard-wired on a subconscious level that a stationary target is easier
to miss, and the reflex clicks in without consulting the cortex.

If you were expecting to pass behind him, he will freeze in the exact
center of your intended path. Much confusion and embarrassment will
ensue.

Most pedestrians have squirrel brains and are unable to solve a triangle of velocities that involves them and a moving vehicle. Today, however, I met one who could. I suspect that he was a motorist who had had to leave his vehicle.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old November 29th 15, 05:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Fuel: bananas

Bananas are the canonical bike fuel. They are low in water and
therefore high in other nutrients, but don't make you thirsty. Bananas
come in an easy-open biodegradable wrapper that lets you eat them
without touching your food with your filthy hands, bananas never
dribble on your jersey, and bananas contain no pits to choke on when
refueling too fast -- you could swallow a banana without chewing it at
all, if you had to.

Bananas are so mild in flavor that many of the people who don't like
them can eat them anyway.

Most important, bananas are available at all seasons of the year, and
almost every food store sells bananas -- I've even seen them for sale
in gas stations -- so it's quite safe to get habituated to them.

I used to carry a banana and a snack bag of nuts for lunch. Bite the
end of the banana flat, press one or more pieces of nut into the
freshly-bitten surface, repeat. This has a good balance of sugar,
complex carbs, protein, and fat.

Old November 30th 15, 01:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jakob Krieger

- Joy Beeson / Sun, 29 Nov 2015 05:26:08 +0100

Bananas are the canonical bike fuel. They are low in water and
therefore high in other nutrients, but don't make you thirsty.

Bananas have quite some 'instant fuel' (glucose) as well as
'long-term fuel' (starch), plus minerals. And they are low in fat
and acid (so they don't distract energy for digestion).

Bananas are so mild in flavor that many of the people who don't like
them can eat them anyway.

That's mainly because they are low in acid and high in starch
(like potatoes - cooked or baked ones, not deep-fried).

When I go on a tour (by bike, boat, or feet) I indeed prefer
baked potatoes
[wash them, don't peel, cook for 5 minutes or not,
then into the stove, high temperature, wait until the peel
cracks open -- fresh small ones of a waxy type are best].

Fuel #1 is of course water.

Tour cycling for an hour takes about 100 »calories« extra,
that's TWO chocolate cookies. No need for additional food.

Eating additional meals because of sports activity makes you fat.
Proof: Look at the people in a restaurant connected to a tennis
or squash ground. They are damn fat.

Water is important. I use a stainless-steel bottle, not plastics
or aluminium alloy. Ok to add some salt (sweat tastes salty, so
sweating means losing salt). A few grains are enough.

Most important, bananas are available at all seasons of the year, and
almost every food store sells bananas -- I've even seen them for sale
in gas stations -- so it's quite safe to get habituated to them.

Bananas are preferred monkey food. Our organism is not far away from
monkeys' organisms. So the choice is good
(proof by non-lethal animal test).

In fact, the biggest mistake we humans make is eating too much
at a time. A burger is ok if one likes burgers.
But a king or mc menue definitely is an over-dose.

jk

--
no sig
Old December 6th 15, 04:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Fuel: Starlight Mints

When I first reached my full height, I weighed one hundred and fifteen
pounds, and I was plump. I got plumper with the passing of years.

A decade or three later, I started taking the September Century
seriously, and between exercising more and having less time to nibble,
my weight dropped to a hundred and twenty pounds. One friend said I
made him think of Dachau, and when I got access to a swimming pool for
the first time in years, I jumped into the deep end expecting to bob
up like a cork and went to the bottom like a rock. Muscle is a lot
denser than fat.

I noticed that I was exhausted after every ride, no matter how long or
short. Soon after returning home, I would feel as though I were a
marionette and someone had cut my strings.

One day I had two separate conditions either of which by itself would
have been a good reason to spend the day in bed, but for some
now-forgotten reason, I *had* to go to Guilderland.

About a mile from home, I realized that I'd forgotten to bring cough
drops. It was about as far to the village as to go back, so I went on
and stopped at the supermarket. Alas, there wasn't a single cough
drop to be had. I bought a bag of hard candy; candy would suppress
the cough until it had all dissolved, then I could take another.

I not only wasn't exhausted when I came back, I felt better than I had
when I started. That was a pretty low bar, but it inspired me to
carry candy whenever I rode, and I never had any more sinking spells.

When candy is taken as medicine, it's wise to always take the same
flavor -- when I carried mixed flavors, I would think "that red one
was pretty good; I wonder what flavor the purple one is?" and
overdose.

I settled on starlight mints because starlight mints are always
available. Well, I forgot to take mints to Columbia City once, and
had to hit the third pharmacy before I found some, but I did find
them, in a town where I didn't even know the territory.

Starlight mints have another virtue: if I'm the teensiest bit
thirsty, they taste terrible, so I have an early warning of
dehydration.

At a hundred and sixty-nine pounds and significantly less muscle, I
throw out more mints than I eat, but every now and again I'm glad that
I still carry mints.

Old December 6th 15, 06:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jakob Krieger

- Joy Beeson / Sun, 06 Dec 2015 04:37:46 +0100

Joking about Dachau,
I must call you an idiot.

You can get a first-class free tour from me, should you ever
come to an area near Dachau.

American soldiers, after WW-II, did an immensely good job
casting Nazi-stuff out of Germans' brains. No joke, true.

Then you sucker do such infamous jokes, unbelieveable.

Go and free Iraq.

jk

--
no sig
Old December 13th 15, 04:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Retraction

I have often said that mirrors are important enough that it's worth
wearing a helmet just to provide a firm support for your rear-view
mirror.

I recently discovered that now that Chuck Harris is dead, it is no
longer possible to buy a helmet mirror.

Hubbub's mirrors were designed to be a substitute for mirrors that Mr.
Harris could not make fast enough, but they are an inch and
five-eighths wide -- a bit more than half again the proper width. If
you do the math, that means that they block more than twice as many
steradians as they need to, so they don't fit neatly into the upper
left corner that you don't use very much. They are, in short, no
better than the billboard mirrors that my local bike shop gave up
trying to sell.

But, it now occurs to me, one could mount one of the billboard mirrors
so high and so far to the left that part of it isn't in your range of
vision at all. Too late; I've already taken my Hubbub mirror to the
Goodwill store. By good luck, my spouse remembered that he had
stashed away a Chuck Harris mirror that fastens with soldered-on clips
instead of the bent wires on mine, and the clips can be attached to
the suspension of my no-helmet helmet, so I can at long last wear my
new hat.

(The foam hats you see today started out as liners for hardshell
helmets.)

Old December 14th 15, 05:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

On Sat, 07 Nov 2015 23:24:00 -0400, Joy Beeson
wrote:

While taking a recreational tour of Meijer after lunching at Panda
Express on my way home from Goodwill, I found a display of
single-serve envelopes of almond butter, bought one, and added it to
my emergency snacks. Which was rather silly, as it's useless without
bread or crackers.

I finally got around to eating the almond butter, and it turned out
that it would have been a poor choice for packing in a lunch: I
required a smooth, flat table and a plastic table knife to squeeze the
last tablespoon out of the envelope.

I wonder what metric people would say? Cubic centimeter and
milliliter are too small, and deciliter is too big; if I haven't
misremembered somewhere, a deciliter would be about two-fifths of a
cup, and the whole 326-gram (1.15 oz.) envelope was only a tad more
than an eighth of a cup, assuming that almond butter isn't a whole
bunch less dense than water.

Calculating: a cc is a microstere, a liter is a millistere ...
dekamike? (I once wrote a story in which the vernacular term for cc
was "mike".) (Perhaps liter would have been "milly", but nobody had
occasion to say it, so we will never know.)

--
Joy Beeson