IMPORTANT - Groupwide Notice - PLEASE READ!

Old January 17th 07, 06:38 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
32GO

Default IMPORTANT - Groupwide Notice - PLEASE READ!

Hey again folks -

OKAY, GUYS! Many of us here have at one time or another,
maybe two or three times in fact, tried to do his best
to minimize the impact of the TROLL on the ARBR
experience, either for himself or for the group as a
whole. This may be as good a time as we're ever going to
have, so let's - for the next two weeks or so - try it
ALL TOGETHER NOW as a carefully coordinated group
effort. Maybe instead of starting another obscure forum,
we can make this one more useful.

I think it's safe to say that most of the people who post
or peek in on ARBR agree that this TROLL is our major
problem, and that without him, most of us could get along
quite nicely and this group may have a chance to be worth
clicking into.

DECLARATION: IT'S OUR NEWSGROUP, DAMMIT, NOT THE TROLL'S!

SUGGESTION: Let's ALL (the real, nice people who honestly
do want the newsgroup to work) make a concerted effort to
use the forum just as if it wasn't preyed upon by the
ogre for a short trial period. If we can work together
within a serious, coordinated system, maybe we can make
it practical to enjoy the forum in spite of the TROLL.

Let's try these techniques suggested by Curtis (and
dozens of others over the last few years) to see if it
does make the newsgroup a bit more pleasant and somewhat
more practical. Let's ALL follow the guidelines below
thru the rest of this month (January 2007) and see - real
world - how effective they really are at providing a bit
of insulation from our worst annoyance.

READING THE NEWSGROUP:

Should be fairly simple.

IF YOU USE A NEWSREADER:

Killfile, filter or do whatever it takes to eliminate
all messages from or mention of the TROLL. If you need
help, ask for it in this thread or by emailing any
'volunteers' off-group. You may also find it advisable
to suppress its muttonheaded minion (or mutant Mini-Me,
maybe?) 'nget' aka 'Mike the Barker'. Since the former
often posts via Cycling Forums (which assigns a kind of
coded variable email address), you may need a trick,
which one of our newsreader gurus (not me!) may also be
able to provide.

IF YOU USE A WEB BROWSER:

Make a concerted effort to mentally tune out and ignore
the TROLL's posts on the website you've been using for
access; don't go into the threads he starts, and skip
over his posts to other threads. If that's too annoying,
use another gateway and archive that filters him out.
Contrary to claims by the idiot itself, there are several
alternatives to Google Groups (the most common web-based
Usenet interface). You may prefer to use (TROLL-free!)
Cycling Forum webpages, to read the group:

http://www.cyclingforums.com/f167-al...recumbent.html

[If that long line gets ginked, just go to their homepage,
then to their own (in-house) recumbent forum, and click
on the link near the top for real ARBR content.] Bookmark
it when you get it. It isn't necessary to join in order
to view messages posted there from ARBR, only to post via
their gateway.

FOR POSTING (EVERYONE!):

1. DO IT - THIS MONTH! As way too many folks have noted,
one thing ARBR desperately needs is pertinent content.
Post a message here, even if it's cross-posted at BROL.
Ask a friend to post at ARBR. I'll follow this up by
starting a legitimate on-topic thread. YOU'RE NEXT! If
you can think of any interesting subject to discuss,
please post it this month.

2. REPLY TO ON-TOPIC THREADS - If you have something to
say, say it. But please don't copy the entire content of
rambling, if there is any reference to the TROLL or if
any of its content is included, even if it seems to be
on-topic, and even if you don't reply to it. The goal is
to have a worthwhile discussion with ZERO input from the
dreadful dimwit.

3. STAY ON TOPIC - Talk about 'bents, not the TROLL, not
the newsgroup, and not the anonymous profane SPAMMER who
has been off and on lately. Don't reply to any off-topic
threads, or off-topic content in valid threads. Don't
quote, repeat or include links to off-topic content, and
don't comment about it. Mostly: DON'T FEED THE TROLL!
What it says about you doesn't matter; just do your
dead-level best to ignore its insults, its challenges,
its taunts and its questions. For two weeks or so,
please, everyone, just do your best to pretend the TROLL
simply doesn't exist.

4. ISOLATE OFF-TOPIC CONTENT - If at the last ditch, you
simply cannot refrain from off-topic content, put it in
this thread if it's relevant to this specific effort, or
if it's not, in the failsafe backup clearly labeled off-
topic 'DON'T FEED THE TROLL!' thread. Don't worry about
continuity; you can cut and paste anything to which
you're replying from its original location and indicate
quotes by using a right-pointing carat ('greater than'
symbol), allocated to its original poster in text as
needed. Even if you're relatively non-net-savvy, don't
sweat it; just take your best shot at formatting whatever
you have to say, without worrying about who's offended
or amused by your style.

5. DON'T SNIPE OR EVEN GIVE ADVICE PUBLICLY TO OTHER
POSTERS WHO SCREW UP - If you feel the need to ping
another poster because he's done something that you
feel is counterproductive, he's made a grammatical
error or whatever, do it privately rather than by
posting to the whole group. Part of the character of
a good open forum is active, robust disagreement on
pertinent topics, so that's good; please just don't
get off into style or personality differences.

And baduh-baduh-baduh... THAT'S ALL, FOLKS! Please
print this out if it helps as a reminder. Email me
privately if there's any way I can help, or even if
you simply feel a strong urge to ream me out about
this or anything - except the poetry of course. ;-)

Regards,
Wayne

Old January 17th 07, 09:08 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Prisoner at War

Sometimes, I have to wonder whether non-bicyclists' suspicions of
cyclists are right: that folks who still play with such a "toy" are
simply immature.

What's the matter with people here? Can't you learn to ignore stuff
you don't want to read? If you see it's a post by someone you don't
want to read, don't read it! Simple!! I don't understand all this
talk about trolls driving a newsgroup aground. I mean, when you're out
on the road, haven't you learned yet to ignore honking motorists??

I've been on a few bike rides with one of the local bike clubs, and, my
God, what a collection of chuckleheads! No, the vast majority of
people were all right, but there was almost always at least one person
who's a helmet Nazi (don't laugh: I've even encountered a water bottle
Nazi!), or who thinks the ride is too long, or too slow, or who
misinterprets something and winds up lost, or who trips over a small
bump in the road, etc.

Anyway, I guess the bright side of it all is, I'm glad you people are
on bikes, and not being the wheels! LOL....

Old January 17th 07, 09:38 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Curtis L. Russell

On 17 Jan 2007 13:08:30 -0800, "Prisoner at War"
wrote:

I've even encountered a water bottle
Nazi!

Yeah, my wife is one. SHe thinks they should be washed after every
ride, or at least every week or so. Comes from being a nurse. I, OTOH,
think that stuff growing in the bottle is a sign of a healthy
ecosphere.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old January 17th 07, 09:38 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Prisoner at War

Curtis L. Russell wrote:

Yeah, my wife is one. SHe thinks they should be washed after every
ride, or at least every week or so. Comes from being a nurse. I, OTOH,
think that stuff growing in the bottle is a sign of a healthy
ecosphere.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

I meant someone who thinks that it isn't safe to ride without a water
bottle, the same way helmet Nazis think it isn't safe to ride without a
helmet.

Hygiene, I agree with. Always listen to your wife!

Old January 17th 07, 10:00 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"32GO" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hey again folks -

OKAY, GUYS! Many of us here have at one time or another,
maybe two or three times in fact, tried to do his best
to minimize the impact of the TROLL on the ARBR
experience, either for himself or for the group as a
whole. This may be as good a time as we're ever going to
have, so let's - for the next two weeks or so - try it
ALL TOGETHER NOW as a carefully coordinated group
effort. Maybe instead of starting another obscure forum,
we can make this one more useful.

I think it's safe to say that most of the people who post
or peek in on ARBR agree that this TROLL is our major
problem, and that without him, most of us could get along
quite nicely and this group may have a chance to be worth
clicking into.

Nary a word about the SPAMMING TROLL (Ed Gin). Why is that?

[...]

All of the above is for nothing. Why? Because most folks on this group are
idiots. Wayne is the biggest idiot of all of course having no perspective on
anything. He even thinks it is appropriate to write verse to this group
about **** and **** and ass and ****. Where did he ever get that idea I
wonder?

Well, it all just goes to show that idiots are born and not made. Poor Wayne
has gone around the bend, sitting there in his recumbent trike shop all day
never being able to sell anything to anyone. Hells Bells, if I were him I
would be going crazy too!

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old January 17th 07, 11:26 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
JimmyMac

32GO wrote:
Hey again folks -

OKAY, GUYS! Many of us here have at one time or another,
maybe two or three times in fact, tried to do his best
to minimize the impact of the TROLL on the ARBR
experience, either for himself or for the group as a
whole. This may be as good a time as we're ever going to
have, so let's - for the next two weeks or so - try it
ALL TOGETHER NOW as a carefully coordinated group
effort. Maybe instead of starting another obscure forum,
we can make this one more useful.

SNIP

Regards,
Wayne

Despite the objections from he who shall not be mentioned here by name
here, this sounds like a sincere and well thought through approach that
should apply to both our long-standing permanent resident troll and our
more recent spamming troll(s) as well. For the most part, the latter
has been basically ignored to no avail, but eventually I suppose they
will tire especially when nice riding weather returns and they have
better things to do with their overabundance of time. I read this post
after reading the DON'T FEED THE TROLL! post in which I did post a
reply for which I have no regret since it was posted in the
pre-designated thread and addresses the issue of a trolls in general an
one in particular. Good luck with this. I'm on board. - Jim McNamara

Old January 18th 07, 03:06 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
gotbent

"32GO" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hey again folks -

DECLARATION: IT'S OUR NEWSGROUP, DAMMIT, NOT THE TROLL'S!

Regards,
Wayne

Actually, I think this newsgroup belongs to M*RT*N KR**G. I suppose if
someone (not me) cared enough they could look up the *CHARTER*. There might
be a rule barring attacks of an abusive nature on other posters.

Old January 18th 07, 07:13 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Buck

On 01/17/2007 18:38:24 "32GO" wrote:

[...]

please don't copy the entire content of previous posts, ESPECIALLY if they
contain off-topic rambling, if there is any reference to the TROLL or if
[...]

OK let's give it a go before we make a new one.
--

Buck

Give a little person a little power and create a big problem.

http://www.catrike.co.uk
Old January 18th 07, 07:34 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"JimmyMac" wrote in message
ups.com...

32GO wrote:
[...]

At least Jim mentions the SPAMMING TROLL (Ed Gin) which is more than Wayne
Leggett has ever done. That is because Jim is by far a more honest person
than Wayne. Wayne borders on being a scoundrel almost as bad as Ed Gin (the
SPAMMING TROLL) for being so deaf to the harm that is done to the group by
such conduct. Wayne may also be a coward which would account for his never
mentioning the SPAMMING TROLL. Jim, whatever else he is, is not a coward.

Wayne Leggett has shown some sophistication and concern for the welfare of
the group, so I will now place him along side of Jon Meinecke and Tom
Sherman who were similarly constituted. In other words, I am now going to
hold Wayne to a far higher standard than I do the rest of you slobs. He will
no longer be able to get away with being silent on THE issue that confronts
this newsgroup - that is the issue of the SPAMMING TROLL. Neglect this issue
at your peril.

I read this post
after reading the DON'T FEED THE TROLL! post in which I did post a
reply for which I have no regret since it was posted in the
pre-designated thread and addresses the issue of a trolls in general an
one in particular. Good luck with this. I'm on board. - Jim McNamara

Yes, Jim, let us stay on our own threads since no one else is reading any of
our **** anyway. Hells Bells, I am just barely reading it myself! We will
call ourselves the "Ed & Jim Show." You do not play the guitar by any
chance, do you?

Old January 18th 07, 07:38 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"gotbent" wrote in message

"32GO" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hey again folks -

DECLARATION: IT'S OUR NEWSGROUP, DAMMIT, NOT THE TROLL'S!

Actually, I think this newsgroup belongs to M*RT*N KR**G. I suppose if
someone (not me) cared enough they could look up the *CHARTER*. There
might be a rule barring attacks of an abusive nature on other posters.

The SPAMMING TROLL (Ed Gin) actually belongs in a prison. Never mind any
breaking of rules. How about the breaking of laws?