Facilities - yay!

Old March 16th 12, 06:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

Default Facilities - yay!

I live in a tiny rural town, divided by a creek. The schools are on
my side of the creek. The one bridge in town (recently completely
rebuit with wide sidewalks, bike lanes, and two traffic lanes for the
main street & highway through town) is a couple blocks upstream from
the elementary and middle schools. I live two blocks from the creek,
on the street that runs between those two schools.

Lately there has been construction at the end of my street - signs
say, "Bridge Work". "Crap!", I thought, "They're going to put in
another bridge to divert traffic off main street, and it's going to
increase traffic on my quiet, unstriped residential street. That just
doesn't make sense to increase motor traffic by the schools.

Today there are big cranes set up on either side of the creek, and a
prefabricated bridge span waiting to be set in place. It's not big
enough for two lanes of motor traffic, not heavy enough fro motor
traffic at all.

Then I remembered seeing plans for a bicycle / footbridge right there,
but figured there was no way they'd ever find th emoney for it. But
that's what it is. Kids in the residential neighborhoods other side
of the creek won't have to walk up to the busy main road. Hooray for
facilities!
Old March 16th 12, 07:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_3_]

Dan O wrote:

[...]

Those kind of shortcut facilities can be great. I advocate them.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 17th 12, 02:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Mar 16, 12:11*pm, Frank Krygowski
wrote:
Dan O wrote:

[...]

But now Dan O and his hill-people kin can get out of the holler and
wreak wheeljie havoc on the towns folk.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old March 19th 12, 04:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom $herman (-_-)

On 3/16/2012 1:07 PM, Dan O wrote:

[...]

Thought you would be more in favor of ramps that allow jumping the
creek?

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731°N, 83.985007°W
Post Free or Die!
Old March 19th 12, 04:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Mar 18, 9:11 pm, "Tom $herman (-_-)" ""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:
On 3/16/2012 1:07 PM, Dan O wrote:

[...]

BTDT (landed in the river - just like Evel).

I thought about sneaking down there while the prefab span was
suspended by the crane and seeing if it might be feasible to go all
Blues Brothers on it :-)

Old March 19th 12, 04:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

wrote:

Dan O wrote:

[...]

It's lookin' more and more like Utopia here every day. (I still love
Portland, though.)