Obeying the highway code

Old September 8th 13, 09:09 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

Default Obeying the highway code

On Sat, 07 Sep 2013 22:36:20 +0100, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

On Sat, 07 Sep 2013 22:05:49 +0100, brianrob1961
wrote:

On 07/09/2013 21:44, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
On Sat, 07 Sep 2013 10:52:20 +0100, Mentalguy2k8
wrote:

"brianrob1961" wrote in message

Hmmmm...... So I am a dickhead for not knowing about someone that I
have no possible way of knowing anything about?

Krueger/Lieutenant Scott is the biggest troll here, so we'll all look
forward to you calling him a **** and killfiling him as part of your
"take the group back" mission.

Oh wait, he agreed with you, that won't happen then.

By troll you mean someone who disagrees with you. Oh dear.

No, by troll they mean someone on a cycling newsgroup who
defends/enjoys cycling.

Ah I forgot, 99% of posters here don't like bikes.

So it seems.
But that is their problem, not ours.
Old September 8th 13, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

On Fri, 6 Sep 2013 12:02:53 +0100, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

It's either a textbook on how we should *all* use the roads *all*
the time, or it isn't. It can't apply to one group all the time but
another group some of the time,

It says itself that it's not a textbook that must be obeyed in its
entirety all the time.

Some parts of it apply to some road users and not to others.

It's quite straightforward, and all set out quite clearly. You should
read it, rather than just pontificating about what you imagine it
says.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old September 8th 13, 09:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
brianrob1961

On 08/09/2013 06:59, Iain wrote:
Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
"brianrob1961" wrote in message

Nice to know that someone else agrees with me that the Highway Code
is open to interpretation.

But that works both ways; you can't now condemn a motorist's actions
by quoting the relevant part of the Highway Code. It's either a
textbook on how we should *all* use the roads *all* the time, or it
isn't.

It isn't.

"Many of the rules in The Highway Code are legal requirements [that means
therefore that some are not legal requirements], and if you disobey these
rules you are committing a criminal offence. You may be fined, given penalty
points on your licence or be disqualified from driving. In the most serious
cases you may be sent to prison. Such rules are identified by the use of the
words 'MUST/MUST NOT'. In addition, the rule includes an abbreviated
reference to the legislation which creates the offence."

That therefore means that many rules MUST be followed because they are legal
requirements. Those rules that are not legal requirements could therefore
fall under the category of 'advisory', 'guidelines', or similar, and
therefore need not necessarily be followed, depending up the circumstances
at the time.

It can't apply to one group all the time but another group
some of the time, or have different meanings depending on whether
anyone is looking.

It seems that it can - depending upon the circumstances, especially if is
not a legal requirement.

If we start educating people that every sentence
in it is open to various interpretations or simple disregard, then
we'll get what we deserve.

Those rules that are legal requirements should not be open to interpretation
(I suppose except in very exceptional circumstances). But those that are
not legal requirements are open to interpretation, depending upon the
circumstances prevailing at the time.

I interpret ANYTHING when it is my life on the line.
Old September 8th 13, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Gefreiter Krueger

wrote:

"brianrob1961" wrote in message

Krueger/Lieutenant Scott is the biggest troll here, so we'll all look
forward to you calling him a **** and killfiling him as part of your
"take the group back" mission.

Oh wait, he agreed with you, that won't happen then.

By troll you mean someone who disagrees with you. Oh dear.

No, by troll they mean someone on a cycling newsgroup who
defends/enjoys cycling.

Ah I forgot, 99% of posters here don't like bikes.

So it seems.
But that is their problem, not ours.

It will be a bigger problem for them when oil runs out.

--
The 2 most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.
Old September 8th 13, 09:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
brianrob1961

On 08/09/2013 09:08, Peter Keller wrote:
On Sat, 07 Sep 2013 14:31:48 +0100, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

"Peter Keller" wrote in message
On Fri, 06 Sep 2013 09:27:45 +0100, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

because cycling is so unenjoyable,

Bicycling is VERY enjoyable/

So why not spend more time doing it rather than jumping lights, cutting
corners, etc to get it over with as quickly as possible?

It's very rare to read a cyclist posting about an enjoyable ride,
usually they're reeling off a whole list of things or people that
annoyed them or threatened their safety during their ride.

What evidence do you have that I jump lights, cut corners, and try to
get it over with as quickly as possible?
It used to be common on this group for bicyclists to post about enjoyable
rides, enjoyable routes, enjoyable holidays and tours etc.

And would be again if people joined in killfiling people like Mentalguy2k8.
Old September 8th 13, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 21:07:01 +0100
brianrob1961 wrote:

On 08/09/2013 09:08, Peter Keller wrote:

It used to be common on this group for bicyclists to post about
enjoyable rides, enjoyable routes, enjoyable holidays and tours
etc.

And would be again if people joined in killfiling people like
Mentalguy2k8.

I don't need to killfile him, he doesn't bother me at all, in fact
you're a lot closer to the bozo bin than he is.

Old September 8th 13, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
brianrob1961

brianrob1961 wrote:

On 08/09/2013 09:08, Peter Keller wrote:

It used to be common on this group for bicyclists to post about
enjoyable rides, enjoyable routes, enjoyable holidays and tours
etc.

And would be again if people joined in killfiling people like
Mentalguy2k8.

I don't need to killfile him, he doesn't bother me at all, in fact
you're a lot closer to the bozo bin than he is.

Then you have even less reason to killfile me, unfortunately. Would it
help if I called you a ****?
Old September 8th 13, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder

[...]

Typical cyclist. If you don't like somebody's views run away.

Old September 8th 13, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
brianrob1961

On 08/09/2013 21:34, Mr Pounder wrote:
[...]

You mean like Jimdeth has? It hasn't been seen for a while. Come to
think of it..... do you by any chance wear women's clothes and fondle
your enlarging breasts in your spare time, Mr(?) Pounder?
Old September 8th 13, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Stanley Daniel de Liver[_2_]

brianrob1961 wrote:

On 08/09/2013 09:08, Peter Keller wrote:

It used to be common on this group for bicyclists to post about
enjoyable rides, enjoyable routes, enjoyable holidays and tours
etc.

And would be again if people joined in killfiling people like
Mentalguy2k8.

I don't need to killfile him, he doesn't bother me at all, in fact
you're a lot closer to the bozo bin than he is.

Peculiarly, he (mentalguy) seems to be OK on the Rugby NG, (where there's
lots of abusive "banter") yet rants as a Mr Toad on here. Strange.

--
It's a money /life balance.

Highway Code - You MUST Mr. Benn[_9_] UK 108 November 28th 12 10:15 PM
Sensible highway code changes Bertie Wooster[_2_] UK 29 October 12th 12 04:20 PM
Highway code Coyoteboy UK 13 November 23rd 07 12:11 AM
Bit OT - New Highway Code Russ UK 5 February 4th 05 11:41 PM
Highway Code Changes Just zis Guy, you know? UK 14 May 5th 04 10:44 AM