A March on Washington... on Bicycle?

Old November 24th 08, 07:07 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

Default I am convinced bicycling is not safe

(I guess the US is only a 3)

Originally Posted by mlts22
It depends on the part of the US. Austin, you don't need gated
communities. However, go to some other parts of the US, and a gated
community with an armed guard at the entrances is a must.

I'd give the US a 3, not because of where it is presently, but where
its headed. In Columbia, college educations are not something one goes
into major student loan debt for; they are considered an extension of
high school. Other countries are the same way, where college is paid
for by their governments.

I also give the US a 3 because of its lack of a health care system. If
despised nations such as Cuba and Iran can assure that their citizens
get proper health care without bankrupting them and their family, why
can't America do the same?

Finally, I give the US a 3 because of the lack of improvements in
communications and transport infrastructures. Instead of laying more
fiber, all the telcos and cable companies either are, or will be soon
charging by the bit. So, we are paying more for services as opposed to
less as time progresses, and this is not do to inflation. Roads too.
Take Austin. Most of its highways are proposed to end up as toll roads
(and of course this doesn't mean your commute time gets shorter...
just you pay 75 cents for the privilege of looking at another car's
bumper going home.)

***

See what I mean? I was being too soft on uncivilized behavior of all
sorts.

It sure seems to be heading down, but maybe, just maybe, Obama will
change things...

Well, I don't know but he's the last hope that we've got before
Armageddon or the Revolution. Of course, I prefer the Revolution.

Old November 24th 08, 09:00 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

Default A March on Washington... on Bicycle?

This new book seems to go to the root of the problem in the jungle...
"Money for bike facilities and traffic safety? Hey, there's not enough
dough to be made!"

'From the contractors who built sub-standard structures in New Orleans
and were told to “keep quiet”, to the whistleblowers who sacrificed
their jobs to come forward and expose the cover-ups, cooked books, and
cronyism nationwide within the Army Corps of Engineers, this film digs
deep to unearth the truth. While scientists charged with investigating
the Katrina disaster were intentionally led astray, journalists dug
their heels in to get to the root of “disaster capitalism”, a process
by which government insiders cash in with emergency no-bid contracts,
in times of national stress.

America Betrayed clearly exposes our government’s misappropriation of
funds in spending its citizens’ hard-earned tax dollars on rebuilding
the Iraqi infrastructure, while the bridges, dams, levees and highways
in this country are crumbling. America Betrayed is a cautionary tale
for those who trust their government, and hopefully a wake-up call to
change the status quo in Washington.'

http://americabetrayedmovie.com/main.html

Old November 24th 08, 09:13 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

On Nov 24, 3:00*pm, KingOfTheApes wrote:
This new book seems to go to the root of the problem in the jungle...
"Money for bike facilities and traffic safety? Hey, there's not enough
dough to be made!"

Sorry, it's a film. So you can go to the matinee on Sunday and watch
it --if you can afford it.
Old November 25th 08, 12:42 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Edward Dolan

"KingOfTheApes" wrote in message
[...]

You are less than a sniffing, tainted, dampish ****face. You are a
moiling, idle, encysted looter. You are a pimping, sun-dried,
heat-releasing flummery. You frolicking, rancid, loopy yes-man. You
evacuating, overweening, stodgy goblin. You stammering, motionless, just
potty-trained imbecile. You are a screaking, arse-faced, overexcited
arse. You are a nidificating, empty-headed, shuffling gull-catcher. You
intonating, symbiotic, contrived grandma. You collapsing, illogical,
teeming flirt-gill. You are less than a vomiting, baffled, melancholic
death-token. You are a squalling, puppyish, blanched snot****. You are
less than a dizzying, strip-mined, rash hayseed. You burning,
flap-mouthed, floppy fugitive. You nitrifying, impertinent, slapstick
zigzagger. You are a groveling, domesticated, ransacked telephonist. You
are a freaking, droll, bearded wretch. You flopping, moldering, foppish
homo. You are a farrowing, askew, abject waste of space. You
bellyaching, brainwashed, pudgy gipsy. You are a stooping, stemless,
squashed testicle. You are a bellowing, gushy, irreligious cornflake.
You bitching, moribund, dud gimcrack. You sniffing, high voltage,
overstrung pituitary gland. You waddling, light-fingered, pessimum flea
beetle. You officiating, negligible, deliquescent garbage carter. You
drooling, garbled, one-celled flypaper. You are less than a
generalising, infective, consumptive neuter. You are a baffling, rotten,
bucktooth piece of dog excrement. You cankering, disoriented, suspicious
****-knuckle.

****ing Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old November 25th 08, 05:07 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

(I'm deleting one group because I can't do more than 5)

On Nov 24, 8:19*pm, "marika" wrote:
"KingOfTheApes" wrote in message

the price in some places is down to 1.70, though

It's funny, gas prices are down, and so are SUV sales. So I guess
people will have to ride bikes because they can't afford cars.

Whatever the reason, the result is good, and I feel good...

Yeah, that's why I get so depressed... the price of oil is going
down.

But then I remember that we are in the middle of a huge economic
crisis and that the Big Three are trying to survive after producing
so
many fat SUVs, and finally I get happy.

Did you see SNL this weekend. *They're the only real winners in this
economic downturn because there's so much to spoof.
In the Big 3 sketch, the CEOs tell Congress that they drove down in a car
(gasp) and were SHOCKED to find that gas was 2 dollars, "we kid you not"
they added, surprised at the unbelievably high price.
Perfect, summarizes how out of touch they are. *In one blow.

(I can't find the youtube of it)

mk5000

" Everything's a dream when you're alone"--Swamp Thing:- Hide quoted text -

Perhaps they are so out of touch as those who live in gated
communities. They have helicopters and jets to go around, so who cares
about the danger SUVs pose to others or bike facilites. And then
Obama, who's supposed to fix things, is only thinking about how to
save the dinosaur. He can't do anything radical, right?

Let me tell you one neat solution, BRING EVERY MODEL AMERICAN
COMPANIES DESIGN FOR EUROPE (or where they have stocks like Opel and
Ford) and produce them here, stick shift and all. Those who can't
drive, let them RIDE PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION or RIDE A BIKE.

But that would be too much of a revolution...

http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/vaux/vehic...brandCode=9 H

Neat, huh?

Old November 25th 08, 05:21 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Peter Clinch

ComandanteBanana wrote:
(I'm deleting one group because I can't do more than 5)

Since you've been asked more than once by more than one person in
uk.rec.cycling not to cross-post your not-particularly UK relevant tosh
there, why not delete that one from your list?

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old November 25th 08, 05:44 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

On Nov 24, 8:23*pm, "marika" wrote:
"KingOfTheApes" wrote in message

Yes, the jungle is scary.

I'm glad you were able to respond with specific points. I'm always a bit
uncomfortable forwarding any opinion articles on such debacles (and I try to
forward about an equal number from both parties' point of view), because I
don't really know enough about the legislative process to know how these
policies are effected, but I do know that I like to complain about it. It
has become more and more clear, though, as time marches on that it is
usually both parties who've conspired to do the bidding of contributors, at
the expense of the individual citizen. It has also become clear that almost
no propoganda directed against one party, whether by the other, or in the
form of an opinion 'article' is ever entirely true.

mk5000

Again, the metaphor of the jungle is perfect. Both parties are
SURVIVORS of the political jungle, where they only care about their
own re-election.

It can be either Democratic or Republican or Independent so long as he
gets things done. And he can also be gay or whatever.
Old November 26th 08, 02:29 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Edward Dolan

"Peter Clinch" wrote in message
ComandanteBanana wrote:
(I'm deleting one group because I can't do more than 5)

Since you've been asked more than once by more than one person in
uk.rec.cycling not to cross-post your not-particularly UK relevant tosh
there, why not delete that one from your list?

Pete.

Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

What would be even better if Pete the Jerk would stop posting his incredibly
stupid and always wrongheaded messages to ARBR. That way we would never
have to see his odious signature again.

Old November 26th 08, 05:11 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

On Nov 25, 6:46*pm, "marika" wrote:

the revolution would be if you actually built the public transportation to
enable people to ride it, there's not enough of it for your proposed
revolution to work

Oh, I have the idea that all this big money that goes to save the Big
Three from their own stupidity and greed, should be put to work toward
public transportation and bike facilities. It would be good and it
would create great business and employment opportunities, sure to save
the economy.

1. INCREASE THE PRICE OF GASOLINE, such as in Europe and Japan. The
revenue so raised could be used to IMPROVE ALTERNATIVE
TRANSPORTATION*, from fast trains to the creation of BICICLE LANES
along all major streets.

*"A massive public works project that did not expand the deficit would
help; something like a massive clean energy program or nationwide high-
speed rail network financed by new taxes on pollution and fossil
fuels. A more progressive tax system would help as well. Both seem
inconceivable since the Bush administration wants to spend public
works dollars on Mars not earth, and Congress that has just enacted
tax breaks that exacerbate the wealth gap."
http://www.eugenelinden.com/news280.html

Actually this is how I started the revolution back in 1992 (at the
time of the Rio Summit)...

http://webspawner.com/users/donquijote6

Old November 26th 08, 09:20 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

ComandanteBanana wrote:
(I'm deleting one group because I can't do more than 5)

Since you've been asked more than once by more than one person in
uk.rec.cycling not to cross-post your not-particularly UK relevant tosh
there, why not delete that one from your list?

Pete.

Peter Clinch * * * * * * * * * *Medical Physics IT Officer
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 * Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
Fax 44 1382 640177 * * * * * * *Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net * *http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

What would be even better if Pete the Jerk would stop posting his incredibly
stupid and always wrongheaded messages to ARBR. That way we would *never
have to see his odious signature again.

That signature means that he's ready to care for a sick patient, but
not for a sick world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0CIGsUV9C8

Kind of deep, huh?

Tom Danielson March 13 1978 - March 13 2008 [email protected] Racing 0 March 13th 08 10:31 AM
Mt. Washington BC nrkist Unicycling 4 August 28th 05 11:21 PM
Washington Post: A Rough Ride for Schwinn Bicycle Ed General 12 December 12th 04 05:24 AM