Peace Themed Jerseys?

Old January 6th 04, 02:51 PM
W K

Default Peace Themed Jerseys?

"David Kerber" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
What about a jersey that said "Doing my part to make your gas
cheaper!"

Sorry, but you're actually driving the price of gas UP by riding a
bike. Economies of scale and all that.

See John, he put the part in his post about having to use brain cells
to work that one out - engage a few and look at that statement in
context ',;~}~

Unless he's riding his bike to the military base to go help invade...

er, I
mean "liberate" Iraq, by riding a bike he's not helping lower the price

of
gas.

Why not? Lowering demand tends to lower prices.

especially if it reduces the need to make sure that future reserves are in
the hands of "the right" people.

Old January 6th 04, 03:05 PM
Rick Onanian

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 20:35:07 -0500, "David L. Johnson"
wrote:
On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 15:23:52 -0800, P e t e F a g e r l i n wrote:
Try www.goatse.cx
Could we please issue a warning before posting these type of links?

Everybody on the internet should know www.goatse.cx.

There's a warning at the top of that page.
Maybe try a different browser?

One which cannot display images, perhaps.

Perhaps Opera, which has a button on it's toolbar for toggling the
load / display of images.

Turning off image loading is great for you dialup users to work
faster, too.
--
Rick Onanian
Old January 6th 04, 03:25 PM
bomba

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 09:40:08 -0500, John Harlow wrote:

Why not? Lowering demand tends to lower prices.

Because fuel is produced to meet demand, and the more you produce, the
cheaper it is per unit to produce. Learn about "economies of scale" from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economies_of_scale.

Your argument in this case is flawed on several levels.

Firstly, fuel is not produced to meet demand. The demand for fuel is
actually higher than supply, but supply is artificially restricted by
OPEC. This keeps prices substantially higher than if price were determined
in a non-cartel controlled market.

Secondly, economies of scale refer to single companies rather than an
entire market. Although oil production is a massive industry, it is split
among many companies.

True economies of scale can only occur at full production and as has been
pointed out, supply is restricted.

And finally, economies of scale allow greater efficiency and lower
production costs per unit, but supply and demand has a much greater impact
on price than economies of scale ever will.

--
a.m-b FAQ: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm

a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

Old January 6th 04, 03:46 PM
Rick Onanian

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 22:11:52 -0700, "Monique Y. Herman"
wrote:
nobody in the USA under 40 irons anything. if my mother taught me it was

Is ironing like when I hang my shirt up in the bathroom and take a
really hot shower with the door closed so that the steam will smooth out
the wrinkles?

No, I think it's when you spray that "Downy Wrinkle Releaser" stuff.

http://www.downy.com/products/wrinklereleaser.shtml

It's like Febreze, the stuff you spray on your stinky but not
visibly dirty clothes if you want to wear them again without
washing, but additionally purports to take away wrinkles.
--
Rick Onanian
Old January 6th 04, 03:50 PM
Penny S

Kevan Smith scribbled on a scrap of paper:

You have to crank the iron up way high, too high to transfer it to
the polyester. You end up with a melted mess.

let me guess: you've tried this before?

Not on jerseys, but on other polyester things.

Hmm. I bet *I * could get it to work. Fabirc goddess and all that...

If you do, please tell me your secret

fusing and transfers are based on three components: heat, pressure and
steam. Teflon sheets help significantly with melting and goo problems.

Penny S

( aw what the heck, I'll throw in my sig)

--
Specialty Outdoors
Modification & Repair of Outdoor Gear & Clothing

Old January 6th 04, 04:00 PM
John Harlow

bomba wrote:
On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 09:40:08 -0500, John Harlow wrote:

Why not? Lowering demand tends to lower prices.

Because fuel is produced to meet demand, and the more you produce,
the cheaper it is per unit to produce. Learn about "economies of
scale" from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economies_of_scale.

Your argument in this case is flawed on several levels.

Firstly, fuel is not produced to meet demand. The demand for fuel is
actually higher than supply, but supply is artificially restricted by
OPEC. This keeps prices substantially higher than if price were
determined in a non-cartel controlled market.

OPEC controls the price of the source material- a relative constant.
Refining and distributing large volumes reduces the total cost per unit of
product.

Secondly, economies of scale refer to single companies rather than an
entire market. Although oil production is a massive industry, it is
split among many companies.

Whether it's 1 or 1000 companies making the same product, the more each
company makes, the cheaper it is to make.

True economies of scale can only occur at full production and as has
been pointed out, supply is restricted.

Correct, maximum production efficiency occurs at highest production levels.

And finally, economies of scale allow greater efficiency and lower
production costs per unit, but supply and demand has a much greater
impact on price than economies of scale ever will.

Which is ironic considering the US, who is the highest consumer of energy
per capita, pays the lowest per unit.

How much is petrol in countries with inefficient refining and distribution
systems? Remember, the demand is low!

Attached Images

Old January 6th 04, 04:01 PM
David Reuteler

In rec.bicycles.misc Rick Onanian wrote:
: Turning off image loading is great for you dialup users to work
: faster, too.

what the hell is a dial-up user?
--
david reuteler

Old January 6th 04, 04:12 PM
David Reuteler

In rec.bicycles.misc Marlene Blanshay wrote:
: I saw a photo of a protest march taken last year near the white house, and
: some woman was holding up a sign that said "George Eat my Bush!" I thought
: it was hilarious, and I don't think I'd have the nerve! ANother one I
: thought was funny: "Texas of Evil."

last feb in sydney, australia i saw:

"Come back Willy, all the Monica you can eat."
--
david reuteler

Old January 6th 04, 04:18 PM
Chris

"David L. Johnson" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 18:49:07 -0600, Kevan Smith wrote:

I protested the Iraq war at a Bush rally and was threatened with arrest.

I also
protested in front of a federal building and was threatened with various

bodily
harm and had a gun pointed at me. And I protested in front of an Air

Force base
and got lots of supportive feedback and police protection.

You chose your locales in order to maximize the chance of your being
arrested.

--

Yeah, good observation. Look at all the effective protests held in front of
pet stores, McDonalds', Ikeas, etc. Why would anyone protesting government

Chris

Old January 6th 04, 04:29 PM
Rick Onanian

On 06 Jan 2004 16:01:53 GMT, David Reuteler
wrote:
In rec.bicycles.misc Rick Onanian wrote:
: Turning off image loading is great for you dialup users to work
: faster, too.

what the hell is a dial-up user?

They're mythical creatures fabled to use POTS for digital
communication. I'm not sure they really exist.
--
Rick Onanian