creaky klein

Old May 7th 04, 06:55 PM
socks

Default creaky klein

i'm not a bike expert, or maintenance expert, so i wanted to bounce
something off the group.

i've got a 2003 klein attitude with not so many miles (maybe 200 off-road),
a slipping seatpost (common kein problem?) and some annoying creaks. i've
looked for cracks and don't see any. (i really doubt that i'd have them
anyway, because i haven't had any hard crashes, i only weigh 150 lbs.)

the creaks seem to come when i'm seated, and not when i stand for downhills
or climbs.

so my idea is that the seatpost slips, and the sound echos down the top-tube
making a loud creak.

does that sound at all possible?

and btw, what is the best fix for a slipping klein seatpost?

Old May 8th 04, 02:46 AM
mojo deluxe

"socks" wrote in message
the creaks seem to come when i'm seated, and not when i stand for

downhills
or climbs.

I have a creaking sound when I'm seated too. It's my saddle of course. Been
meaning to lube it.

Old May 8th 04, 08:23 AM
D H

"socks" wrote in message
i'm not a bike expert, or maintenance expert, so i wanted to bounce
something off the group.

i've got a 2003 klein attitude with not so many miles (maybe 200

off-road),
a slipping seatpost (common kein problem?) and some annoying creaks. i've
looked for cracks and don't see any. (i really doubt that i'd have them
anyway, because i haven't had any hard crashes, i only weigh 150 lbs.)

the creaks seem to come when i'm seated, and not when i stand for

downhills
or climbs.

so my idea is that the seatpost slips, and the sound echos down the

top-tube
making a loud creak.

does that sound at all possible?

and btw, what is the best fix for a slipping klein seatpost?

Slipping seatpost, common Klein problem? I don't think so. Maybe so,
but news to me. Never had issues with my Thomson in my 98 Klein Mantra, nor
heard of several other Klein owners I know having a problem.

The creaking is another story, and yes, a common problem, not just for
Kleins, but maybe especially so with Mantras. Yes, everything echoes through
the tubes, especially the big "boom" tube on the Mantras. I have found ALL
of the following to be guilty parties at one time or another: (first two are
the likely culprits for you, since you say noise stops if you're off the
seat.)
1. Seat tube: rocking ever so slightly (but not slipping down at all.) The
fix: take it out and clean well, inside tube included, then regrease all
surfaces (tube, post, collar, bolt parts) and reinstall.
2. Seat rails: titanium rails were HORRIBLY noisy for me. The fix: I went
back to cromoly and stopped most of the problem. Cleaning and lubing helps
when they're noisy.
3. Crank/Bottom bracket. The fix: Remove, clean, regrease, reinstall. (I use
antiseize compound on BB threads.)
4. Headset/stem. Same fix... remove, clean, regrease, reinstall.
5. Pivot "bushings." Seems to me they are more like teflon liners on the
Mantra setup, but they are noisy at times, and the only fix I know of is to
wait them out. The grit or whatever gets in and creaks has to find another
place to go. No hurrying it along as far as I know, but it does eventually
go away.
6. More rarely for me, Pedals. Fix... errm,,, ??? New Times?

--
D N
I E T S

Reply to group. (Detestible spammers!)

Old May 8th 04, 09:58 AM
Pete Jones

On Sat, 8 May 2004 03:23:21 -0400, "D H" blathered:

i've got a 2003 klein attitude with not so many miles (maybe 200

off-road),
a slipping seatpost (common kein problem?)

Not for me with an older model.

and some annoying creaks.
the creaks seem to come when i'm seated, and not when i stand for

downhills or climbs.

so my idea is that the seatpost slips, and the sound echos down the

top-tube
making a loud creak.

does that sound at all possible?

and btw, what is the best fix for a slipping klein seatpost?

The creaking is another story, and yes, a common problem, not just for
Kleins, but maybe especially so with Mantras.

He's got a rigid Attitude frame, so all the pivot stuff, while maybe
correct, doesn't really apply here. Neither does the
BB/crank/headset/pedal stuff, probably - the creaks would be more
likely to manifest themselves when he's standing up on the pedals
honking, not when he's seated.

Most likely the saddle I would've thought. Is the seatpost noticeably
slipping down within the frame, or are you theorising?

Pete
Old May 8th 04, 10:34 AM
Mark \(UK\)

socks wrote:
i'm not a bike expert, or maintenance expert, so i wanted to bounce
something off the group.

i've got a 2003 klein attitude with not so many miles (maybe 200
off-road), a slipping seatpost (common kein problem?) and some
annoying creaks. i've looked for cracks and don't see any. (i
really doubt that i'd have them anyway, because i haven't had any
hard crashes, i only weigh 150 lbs.)

the creaks seem to come when i'm seated, and not when i stand for
downhills or climbs.

so my idea is that the seatpost slips, and the sound echos down the
top-tube making a loud creak.

does that sound at all possible?

and btw, what is the best fix for a slipping klein seatpost?

For the slipping:

Clean the interfaces thoughroughly, then reinstall with a little teflon
grease, do up collar REAL tight, try swapping to a bolt type collar if you
have a quick release one now.

For the noise:

Might be fixed when you get the above done, failing that check the other end
of the seat post. Where it clamps to the seat rails, clean and grease a
little, then retighten the clamp bolt, really tight. I have also found that
sometimes seat creak eminates from the interface between the seat rails and
the seat moulding iteself. A drip of GT85 or similar into the joint cures
that one. You are correct in suggesting that the frame's aluminium tubes
amplify the small noises.

Best of luck

--
Mark

Old May 8th 04, 11:36 AM
di

"socks" wrote in message
i'm not a bike expert, or maintenance expert, so i wanted to bounce
something off the group.

i've got a 2003 klein attitude with not so many miles (maybe 200

off-road),
a slipping seatpost (common kein problem?) and some annoying creaks. i've
looked for cracks and don't see any. (i really doubt that i'd have them
anyway, because i haven't had any hard crashes, i only weigh 150 lbs.)

the creaks seem to come when i'm seated, and not when i stand for

downhills
or climbs.

so my idea is that the seatpost slips, and the sound echos down the

top-tube
making a loud creak.

does that sound at all possible?

and btw, what is the best fix for a slipping klein seatpost?

I had the same problem with a Giant NRS, I finally found that the slit in
the seat post collar had to be in alignment with the slit in the frame at
the seat post clamp, once everything was all in alignment, no more creaks.

Old May 8th 04, 12:11 PM

Shim the seat post. My shim would be,cut from any AL
soda or beer can. Grease and lube every metal part.

I MTB 2004

Old May 8th 04, 02:12 PM
socks

Pete Jones wrote:
Most likely the saddle I would've thought. Is the seatpost noticeably
slipping down within the frame, or are you theorising?

noticible, like 1/2 inch to an inch over the course of a ride. i think i've
got the QR cranked down pretty tight.

Old May 8th 04, 02:19 PM
socks

thanks all, i'll start trying these ideas as i can.

Old May 8th 04, 03:55 PM

..

http://www.beyondbikes.com/bb/ba/asp...N/ab/items.htm

--

I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
The rest I've just wasted