Please abuse me (I like a klein)

Old June 5th 04, 03:14 PM
tcmedara

Default Please abuse me (I like a klein)

Ozman Trad wrote:
"tcmedara" wrote in message

What the heck else are you gonna spend it on?

UH, how about the needy or less fortunate ? Maybe the million people
starving in the Sudan? For starters.

Or he could get a bunch of singles and go support the less fortunate girls
at the strip club on dollar at a time! WTF did this turn into, a Sally
Struthers support group?

Do they ride bikes in the Sudan?

Tom (already gave at the office, church, front door, grocery store, etc...)

Old June 5th 04, 03:16 PM
pas

On 2004-06-05, S o r n i penned:
Besides, I don't know enough about bike construction to trust a used
bike on rocky trails. I'm tackling harder stuff every day, and the
last thing I want is for the frame to give.

oh, if you shop carefully you can get awesome bikes used. I bought a
used-one-season top end Kona from a gal who a)owns a bike shop b) raced it
lightly Xterra. She didn't like how the frame fit her. I had cash, and we
all know that money talks. And that bike is sa-weet!!! But buying a used
bike is definitely a right time/right place deal

penny

Old June 5th 04, 03:27 PM
tcmedara

S o r n i wrote:
Ozman Trad wrote:
"tcmedara" wrote in message

What the heck else are you gonna spend it on?

UH, how about the needy or less fortunate ? Maybe the million people
starving in the Sudan? For starters.

Poor Tom, he's really wearing the Kick Me sign tonight!

Bill "bet he'd gladly donate the 5 bucks from that other thread" S.

All part of the joys of usenet. Should I pull a Danny Vo2lker? -- My five
bucks can feed more starving Sudanese than yours any day!

Tom (shocked that people actually disagree with me!)

Old June 5th 04, 03:39 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-06-05, pas penned:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
If a certain model feels "light, tight and right" to you, then by
all means don't let a small thing drive you away from it.

*nod* ... Eric warned me that what I thought was "light" could
actually be "too much weight in the back" -- I want him to ride a
model in his size today to see what he thinks about that point.

EEEk... do not let significant other choose a bike for you.

No, no, no, of course not.

Difference between "see what he thinks" and "go by whether he likes it
or not." I just specifically want to get his opinion on the weight
distribution thing.

--
monique
Old June 5th 04, 03:54 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-06-05, pas penned:

oh, if you shop carefully you can get awesome bikes used. I bought a
used-one-season top end Kona from a gal who a)owns a bike shop b)
raced it lightly Xterra. She didn't like how the frame fit her. I had
cash, and we all know that money talks. And that bike is sa-weet!!!
But buying a used bike is definitely a right time/right place deal

Yeah, it's definitely most convenient to buy used when you have the time
to really shop around and wait till you find what you want.

Sounds like you got a great ride =)

--
monique
Old June 5th 04, 04:15 PM
Per Elmsäter

On 2004-06-05, Per Elmsäter penned:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
I'm highly tempted to go to the 15 as well, as much for the fork
upgrade as for the XT. The 15 has the new combo shifter/brake
thing, though, and I have no idea what I think of that yet.

You'll love it once you get used to it. Do make them adjust the
brake/shift lever to fit your supposedly smaller hands. There is a
smalll 2mm allen screw that adjusts the distance of the lever from
the frame. It shall be close enough that the first index of your
three longest fingers reach the levers. Also make them do the
adjustment because this screw is really vulnerable and the Allen key
will easily start slipping. I'm still waiting for a replacement on
my left side.

A mechanic recently made this adjustment on my old bike, having the
brakes start closer to the bar but finish farther away than they used
to, and it really felt a lot better.

In this case it's even more than so since you are also shifting with the
same levers, not just braking with them.

--
Perre

Old June 5th 04, 04:38 PM
S o r n i

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

... Eric warned me that what I thought was "light" could
actually be "too much weight in the back" -- I want him to ride a
model in his size today to see what he thinks about that point.

Well that's true, I think. If you lift the *entire* bike and it feels
rather light to you, then that's a good sign.

If, however, you life a bike by its "midpoint" and find the front way
lighter than the back, then that's a bit of a red flag.

I'm a bit of a weight weenie, but don't mind heavier parts/components at the
front. Hate trying to climb and having the front wheel flying all over the
place on me.

Bill "another reason to like Marzzochi" S.

Old June 5th 04, 04:40 PM
SuperSlinky

Monique Y. Mudama said:

Ah. Yeah, without knowing if I'll ever race more than once, getting a
race-specific bike would probably be a bit premature ... and
unnecessarily uncomfortable.

It sounds to me like an XC race bike would be a good starting point for
you. The lighter weight is always a good thing and you don't sound like
you need the extra strength or travel of a heavier frame. If you don't
like the riding position, adjust and/or replace stem/bars/saddle to
suit. I'm thinking you would like a Titus Racer-x, Santa Cruz Blur or
Turner Burner.
Old June 5th 04, 04:50 PM
S o r n i

On 2004-06-05, S o r n i penned:

DAMN your hubby's a lucky man! Great post.

Bill "LX?!? Patooie" S.

Lucky because I don't want (all) LX or because I'm impatient?

Yes.

Bill "come to think of it, my Titus Switchblade is getting a little tired"
S.

Old June 5th 04, 05:46 PM
Ozman Trad

On 2004-06-05, Ozman Trad penned:
"tcmedara" wrote in message

What the heck else are you gonna spend it on?

UH, how about the needy or less fortunate ? Maybe the million people
starving in the Sudan? For starters.

I am a selfish, rotten person. I want a bike first.

No problem with wanting a bike first. My comment was directed towards Bill's
statement of "no particularly good reason, other than to spend money." It
was just a suggestion of a 'good' way to spend some money. Not a particular
good place or thread to espouse my particular opinion I know, just an
offhand comment made when I was tired.

Not trying to guilt anyone into any philanthropic actions or to sound
self-righteous

creaky klein socks Mountain Biking 10 May 17th 04 04:53 PM
Rear disc brake on 2001 Klein Attitude? Rocketman Mountain Biking 7 January 9th 04 10:18 PM
klein attitude, but fork etc ... higb Mountain Biking 8 July 8th 03 09:16 PM
Klein dealers in Colorado MattB Mountain Biking 2 July 1st 03 02:22 PM