Bad idea to upgrade to 1" threadless headset/fork?

Old June 29th 05, 05:31 PM
Dan Lenski

Default Bad idea to upgrade to 1" threadless headset/fork?

I'm trying to build up a race-worthy bike on the cheap. I have a 1990
cannondale criterium frame with a 1" threaded aluminum fork. I'd like
to upgrade to a threadless fork so that I can get the weight savings
and comfort of carbon fiber.

Anyone think this is not worth it? It sort of seems like 1" threadless
headsets are hard to find, although 1" threadless forks and stems are
plentiful. Do you think replacement 1" parts will be available a few
years down the road?

Thanks,
Dan Lenski

Old June 29th 05, 06:04 PM
Kinky Cowboy

On 29 Jun 2005 09:31:03 -0700, "Dan Lenski" wrote:

Anyone think this is not worth it? It sort of seems like 1" threadless
headsets are hard to find, although 1" threadless forks and stems are
plentiful. Do you think replacement 1" parts will be available a few
years down the road?

1" is likely to remain available because frame manufacturers continue
to spec 1" steerers on TT and track frames, the former for reduced
frontal area and the latter because track equipment is very
conservative (nearly everything on my dad's 1948 Rotrax will still fit
my 2002 Fort).

Realistically, your headset will probably last longer than your frame
anyway.

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary

Old June 29th 05, 06:37 PM

Dan Lenski wrote:
I'm trying to build up a race-worthy bike on the cheap. I have a 1990
cannondale criterium frame with a 1" threaded aluminum fork. I'd like
to upgrade to a threadless fork so that I can get the weight savings
and comfort of carbon fiber.

Anyone think this is not worth it? It sort of seems like 1" threadless
headsets are hard to find, although 1" threadless forks and stems are
plentiful. Do you think replacement 1" parts will be available a few
years down the road?

Its not worth it unless you want to do it. I ride with a guy who has a
Cannondale frame and aluminum fork from the 1980s. Its seen many
thousands of miles and still going strong. He also has an early 1990s
Giant Cadex with aluminum frame. Thousands of miles and still going
strong. Aluminum forks are not bad. Carbon forks are not good.

Weight savings will come with an all carbon fork. You'll never notice
it. Comfort? I did not realize aluminum forks were known for their
uncomfortableness.

When building up my Nashbar frame with 1" headtube I chose the all
carbon Performance fork/stem/headset/spacers kit. $190. Less 20% off
coupon code and 10% Team Performance rebate. $137 total for
fork/stem/headset. The whole set works just fine. And its
lightweight. Not that I can tell when riding. My situation is a bit
different than yours since I did not have a fork, headset, or stem for
the new frame, whether I went threaded or threadless. But I am
guessing you are replacing parts you currently have. A few thousand
miles on the fork the past two years. I'm not too concerned about not
being able to find 1" threadless headsets.

Old June 29th 05, 07:54 PM

If you really want to go cheap, you can certainly keep the fork you
have if it is in good condition... I don't think it will slow you down.
Just curious; have you weighed it?

But if you want to go cheap, 1 inch, and carbon you might want to check
out an Easton EC30
http://www.nashbar.com/profile_morei...ku=9778&brand=
I've only been using it for a couple of months, but the bike corners
very well, and I have no problems on 55 mph descents.

And yes, I agree that the headsets will be around, and you probably
won't need to replace it anyway... just clean and lube them
occasionally. If you happen to get indexing, you can always put loose
balls on the lower race (adding one or two) and that will solve the
problem... it works well enough for me, anyway.

Good luck on your project, and the racing too!

-Ron Ruff

Old June 29th 05, 11:12 PM
Jay Beattie

"Dan Lenski" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm trying to build up a race-worthy bike on the cheap. I have

a 1990
cannondale criterium frame with a 1" threaded aluminum fork.

I'd like
to upgrade to a threadless fork so that I can get the weight

savings
and comfort of carbon fiber.

Anyone think this is not worth it? It sort of seems like 1"

threadless
headsets are hard to find, although 1" threadless forks and

stems are
plentiful. Do you think replacement 1" parts will be available

a few
years down the road?

Cannondale has a pretty good trade in policy, and for a couple
hundred dollars over the cost of a decent CF fork, you can get a
whole new frame and 1 1/8" fork. I think it is $399 for a
low-end CAAD on a trade in. I like the more recent frames
because they have longer top-tubes. If you decide to stay with
the current frame, there are lots of 1" CF forks and headsets
still on the market. I think 1" headsets will be available into
the foreseeable future, although with decreasing availability. --
Jay Beattie.

Old June 29th 05, 11:21 PM
Dan Lenski

Jay Beattie wrote:
Cannondale has a pretty good trade in policy, and for a couple
hundred dollars over the cost of a decent CF fork, you can get a
whole new frame and 1 1/8" fork. I think it is $399 for a
low-end CAAD on a trade in. I like the more recent frames
because they have longer top-tubes. If you decide to stay with
the current frame, there are lots of 1" CF forks and headsets
still on the market. I think 1" headsets will be available into
the foreseeable future, although with decreasing availability. --
Jay Beattie.

Hmmm, interesting. I would like the longer top tube (ideally I'd like
a 60 cm frame actually).

I got this frame+fork (also seatpost/bar/stem/headset) for $10 because
the derailer hanger was broken off... do you think I'd need to be the
original owner in order to get the trade in?

Dan

Old June 29th 05, 11:25 PM
David L. Johnson

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 09:31:03 -0700, Dan Lenski wrote:

I'm trying to build up a race-worthy bike on the cheap. I have a 1990
cannondale criterium frame with a 1" threaded aluminum fork. I'd like
to upgrade to a threadless fork so that I can get the weight savings
and comfort of carbon fiber.

Anyone think this is not worth it?

Me. 1) You won't save much weight. You are not going to find, I hope,
a 1" all-carbon fork; the steerer tube will be steel, just like on your
current fork. The crown might be aluminum as well, so the only place you
will save weight will be the blades, and that is not that much. 2) the
comfort of carbon forks is way over-blown. Marketing hype, not reality.
3) IMO threadless is not an upgrade.

It sort of seems like 1" threadless
headsets are hard to find, although 1" threadless forks and stems are
plentiful. Do you think replacement 1" parts will be available a few
years down the road?

Lots of 1"-fork bikes out there. Not all will be thrown away just because
the fashion has changed. Sure, there will be parts for years and years.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | It is a scientifically proven fact that a mid life crisis can
_`\(,_ | only be cured by something racy and Italian. Bianchis and
(_)/ (_) | Colnagos are a lot cheaper than Maserattis and Ferraris. --
Glenn Davies

Old June 30th 05, 12:00 AM

Dan Lenski wrote:
I'm trying to build up a race-worthy bike on the cheap. I have a 1990
cannondale criterium frame with a 1" threaded aluminum fork. I'd like
to upgrade to a threadless fork so that I can get the weight savings
and comfort of carbon fiber.

Anyone think this is not worth it? It sort of seems like 1" threadless
headsets are hard to find, although 1" threadless forks and stems are
plentiful. Do you think replacement 1" parts will be available a few
years down the road?

Its not worth it to change the fork. But you apparently want to change
the fork so change it.

Aluminum forks work fine. I ride with a guy with a 1980s Cannondale
with aluminum fork. Many thousands of miles. He also has an early
1990s Giant Cadex with aluminum fork. Thousands of miles.

If you go with an all carbon fork you will get some weight savings. It
will not be noticeable while riding. Performance sells a 1" steerer
all carbon fork/stem/headset/spacers kit for $190. I have it on my
aluminum Nashbar frame. I used a 20% off coupon and 10% Team
Performance rebate to get the kit down to about $137. Can't complain.
I've used it for a couple thousand miles over the past two years. No
problems with it. Its on a 58cm frame. Its listed as 370 grams in the
catalog. It felt light before putting it on the bike. I'm not too
concerned about 1" threadless headsets disappearing.

Old June 30th 05, 12:53 AM

David L. Johnson wrote:

Me. 1) You won't save much weight. You are not going to find, I hope,
a 1" all-carbon fork; the steerer tube will be steel, just like on your
current fork. The crown might be aluminum as well, so the only place you
will save weight will be the blades, and that is not that much.

All of these 1" steerer forks have carbon steerers and carbon crowns
and carbon blades. Colnago, Look, Easton, True Temper, Reynolds,
Mizuno, etc.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=5232

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?p...ajor=1&minor=3

http://www.totalcycling.com/ProductD...5-5d24b867800b

http://www.settlecycles.co.uk/bespok....html?pid=1165

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx...5374&UberCat=0

Old June 30th 05, 02:10 AM
Jay Beattie

"Dan Lenski" wrote in message
oups.com...
Jay Beattie wrote:
[...]

Good question. I know you have to have the receipt and be the
original owner for a warranty replacement, but I think their
frame trade up program is more liberal. Call your local dealer
and see. -- Jay Beattie.