Azzurri bikes any good?

Old March 14th 06, 06:55 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Azzurri bikes any good?

Just wondered if the Azzurri brand has a decent reputation or not?
Anyone ride one, bought one?
Ta
CB
Old March 14th 06, 07:57 AM posted to aus.bicycle

CB Wrote:
Just wondered if the Azzurri brand has a decent reputation or not?
Anyone ride one, bought one?
Ta
CB

dunno about reputation but the top of the line Azzurri is basically a
rebranded Italian Battaglin frame

http://www.battaglin.it/dettaglio.asp?dettaglio=compact

price is certainly competitive but I'll let 'the others' illuminate
further considerations...

--
flyingdutch

Old March 14th 06, 10:39 AM posted to aus.bicycle

CB Wrote:
Just wondered if the Azzurri brand has a decent reputation or not?
Anyone ride one, bought one?
Ta
CB

I haven't ridden OR bought one, but seriously considered doing so
before I opted for a second-hand bike.

Azzurri is the "upmarket road bike" arm of Learsport, or at least
their attempt to create a brand separate from the mass-market bikes of
Learsport (including the GVBR ones!). The components are the same as on
many other bikes, leaving frame as the only unknown. You would probably
find it difficult to source the groupset and wheels for the price of
the whole bike, so basically you are getting a free frame - read into
that what you will.The frames are mass-produced in a factory somewhere
(Taiwan I think I have read?), as are frames from many other bike
companies (esp Giant, Merida, Shogun, etc etc). There is a 15 year
warranty on the frame which may satisfy some concerns about it. I have
heard generally good things about customer service from Learsport. Like
all the other lower-end companies (and I don't mean that in a demeaning
way, just trying to differentiate from the more prestigious marques!),
these bikes have no snob value at all.

--
roshea

Old March 14th 06, 10:49 AM posted to aus.bicycle

flyingdutch Wrote:
dunno about reputation but the top of the line Azzurri is basically a
rebranded Italian Battaglin frame

http://www.battaglin.it/dettaglio.asp?dettaglio=compact

There may be some slight differences - the Azzurri Forza and Primo
Carbon have curved chainstays while those on the Battaglin appear
straight. Whether this translates into any meaningful difference is
completely beyond me!

--
roshea

Old March 14th 06, 12:02 PM posted to aus.bicycle

One of my friends has an Azzurri 7700 with a Tiagra groupset. He has had
it for nearly a year now and has had no problems.

--
alkesh

Old March 14th 06, 01:56 PM posted to aus.bicycle

the value is amazing.

You can get the Columbus Zonal model frame-set for 700 bucks!!!!

--
531Aussie

Old March 14th 06, 07:54 PM posted to aus.bicycle

roshea Wrote:
There may be some slight differences - the Azzurri Forza and Primo
Carbon have curved chainstays while those on the Battaglin appear
straight. Whether this translates into any meaningful difference is
completely beyond me!

they were the same last year (when i briefly entertained the idea),
however the chainstays appear to have straightened on the Battaglins
this year. Probably to differentiate em from the Azzurri's

--
flyingdutch

Old March 15th 06, 01:02 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On 2006-03-14, roshea (aka Bruce)
There is a 15 year
warranty on the frame which may satisfy some concerns about it. I have
heard generally good things about customer service from Learsport.

Not when it comes to the GVBR bikes. They are legally required to
honour the waranty on these, but didn't when it came to mine. I just
gave up in the end. For a $100 bike, it wasn't worth ****ing around
with train tickets that cost $7 a pop.

The GVBR bike was a big cockup from their PR department. I'll never
be buying crap from Learsport again.

--
TimC
He was the best of Tims, he was the worst of Tims.
Old March 15th 06, 02:00 AM posted to aus.bicycle

flyingdutch Wrote:
(when i briefly entertained the idea), Man!! I also briefly entertained the idea last year, too!!

The guy across from the Brighton Baths will sell ya a brand new
Columbus Zonal Azzurri with the carbon stays, without a fork for
$500!!!!

500 bucks for a brand new Zonal frame??!!! That's AWESOME!!!
I ended up buying a Zonal Cinelli frame-set for $800, which was still a
good deal.

--
531Aussie

Old March 15th 06, 03:55 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On 2006-03-14, roshea (aka Bruce)
There is a 15 year
warranty on the frame which may satisfy some concerns about it. I have
heard generally good things about customer service from Learsport.

Not when it comes to the GVBR bikes. They are legally required to
honour the waranty on these, but didn't when it came to mine. I just
gave up in the end. For a $100 bike, it wasn't worth ****ing around
with train tickets that cost $7 a pop.

The GVBR bike was a big cockup from their PR department. I'll never
be buying crap from Learsport again.

--
TimC
He was the best of Tims, he was the worst of Tims.
-- Teh [tieoe] on RHOD

Wondering why they were legally required to honour the warranty? I
thought the organisers purchased the bikes and then gave them to
entrants, thus entrants were not original owners and therefore not
eligible for the warranty claim?

Tam

Looking for good bikes forte88 General 6 January 17th 06 11:51 PM
Rider Down! slim Social Issues 9 October 19th 04 01:41 PM
Halfords carrera racing bikes good or bad adrian28uk UK 6 September 21st 03 09:51 AM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM
Chrysler bikes any good? Jeffrey Engstrom General 8 July 27th 03 02:20 AM