Vattenfall Cyclassics

Old August 1st 06, 05:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Gabe Brovedani

Default Vattenfall Cyclassics

I just found out this was the Hew Cyclassics, which I always thought was
filler between Tour and Vuelta. Wikipedia tells me that this race is
considered a classic. When did this happen?

Shouldn't anything with "cyclassics" in the name not be considered a
classic?

Gabe Brovedani

Where's all the postings on Tour of Germany? Leipheimer blew the
prologue, so it looks like Norcal racing won't become the spring
training of choice for the pro peleton.
Old August 1st 06, 07:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Stu Fleming

Gabe Brovedani wrote:

Where's all the postings on Tour of Germany? Leipheimer blew the
prologue, so it looks like Norcal racing won't become the spring
training of choice for the pro peleton.

Nobody cares about American bike racers any more.
Old August 1st 06, 07:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mark

"Gabe Brovedani" wrote in message
.. .
I just found out this was the Hew Cyclassics, which I always thought was
filler between Tour and Vuelta. Wikipedia tells me that this race is
considered a classic. When did this happen?

And Wikipedia says this about a classic:
"A classic is an item that has become a ubiquitous and unique symbol or icon
of a time gone by, mainly because of its inherent quality or its
representative status"

HEW's first addition was in 1996 as an event for both amateurs and pro's,
riding the same course (160km or 100miles). The pro's did it in just over
3.5 hours. I felt good to have beaten the 4 hour mark, but what a
difference! In fact the pro's had 4 man lead group most of the way I think,
whereas I was just drafting the whole way. Once I lost the draft in the last
15km all I had was cramps...
I don't know when it became a classic (maybe 2000), but I don't think it's
considered a classic in the classic sense of the word...

Old August 1st 06, 10:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Gabe Brovedani wrote:
I just found out this was the Hew Cyclassics, which I always thought was
filler between Tour and Vuelta. Wikipedia tells me that this race is
considered a classic. When did this happen?

Shouldn't anything with "cyclassics" in the name not be considered a
classic?

Gabe Brovedani

Where's all the postings on Tour of Germany? Leipheimer blew the
prologue, so it looks like Norcal racing won't become the spring
training of choice for the pro peleton.

It is certainly not an orthodox "classic." Before the Protour it
was part of the World Cup, to fill a spot on the calendar and give
a WC race in Germany, but it isn't a classic in the sense that
(for ex) Fleche Wallone, Gent-Wevelgem or Het Volk are classics,
even though none were WC races. So it's filler, but filler
that is important to the UCI.

Although we are all busy right now applying testo patches and
monitoring changes in our T/E levels in the name of science,
even in a non-doping year there's not a lot of postings on the Tour
of Germany. July takes a lot out of rbr and even with recovery drugs
we're very blocked in August. On a related note, I have no idea
how Leipheimer managed to lose 40 seconds in a 7 minute TT.
Weather?

Old August 2nd 06, 12:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Morten Reippuert Knudsen

Gabe Brovedani wrote:
I just found out this was the Hew Cyclassics, which I always thought was
filler between Tour and Vuelta. Wikipedia tells me that this race is
considered a classic. When did this happen?

Shouldn't anything with "cyclassics" in the name not be considered a
classic?

Unfortunatle a lot of newbies can't tell Classsics/semi classics from
Worldcup/proitour events.

The Classics:
-------------
Milano San Remo
Ronde Van Vlandern
Paris Roubaix
Liege Bastonge Liege
Paris Tours
Giro Lombardia

Semi Classics:
--------------
Gent Wevelgem
Fleche Walonne
Omloop Het Volk
Kuurne-Bruxelles-Kuurne
Paris Bruxselles
Coppa Sabbatini
Grand Prix de Nation
Paris-Bourges
Giro dell'Emilia
Coppa Agostoni
Milano Torino
etc.

WorldCup/Pro Tour Events
------------------------
Amstel Gold Race*
Meistershaft von Zürich*
Classica San Sebastian
Hamburg (or whatever they call it this year)
Leeds/Wisconsin (the fromer brittish WC race)
Rund um den Hemiger Turm
Eindhoven TTT
World Cup ITT (finnished the World cup season in the eighties)
etc.

* races that could sson be considered semi-classics.

--
Morten Reippuert Knudsen :-) http://blog.reippuert.dk

PowerMac G5: 1.6GHz, 1,25GB RAM, 300+300GB SATA, 16xDVD DL, Bluetooth
mus+tastatur, R9600PRO, iSight, eyeTV200 & LaCie Photon18Vision TFT.
Old August 2nd 06, 08:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bob Martin

in 520037 20060802 001008 Morten Reippuert wrote:
wrote:

Although we are all busy right now applying testo patches and
monitoring changes in our T/E levels in the name of science,
even in a non-doping year there's not a lot of postings on the Tour
of Germany. July takes a lot out of rbr and even with recovery drugs
we're very blocked in August. On a related note, I have no idea
how Leipheimer managed to lose 40 seconds in a 7 minute TT.
Weather?

a rainstorm hit the first and the last riders.

Did you see what Jan Ullrich had to ride through in the Tour de Suisse ITT?
Old August 2nd 06, 10:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

Morten Reippuert Knudsen wrote:
a rainstorm hit the first and the last riders.

Rainstorm Promotions ?