Cyclists break the road rules...

Old January 13th 08, 05:55 AM posted to aus.bicycle
scotty72[_108_]

Default Cyclists break the road rules...

the harbor bridge bike way is not shared

if fact there are 2 guards on duty at any time who will throw peds off.
I've seen them do it.

Scotty

John Tserkezis Wrote:
Tomasso wrote:

...I didn't realise there were non-shared paths in NSW, where are

some?

Harbour Bridge?

That one is shared. There are very few non-shared paths, there is one
in
Fairfield, alas it was a million years ago when we passed that one, so
can't
remember exactly where.

I'm sure there are at least a couple of others, but you get the idea,
not many.
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
http://counter.li.org

--
scotty72

Old January 13th 08, 06:25 AM posted to aus.bicycle
John Tserkezis

scotty72 wrote:

the harbor bridge bike way is not shared

if fact there are 2 guards on duty at any time who will throw peds off.
I've seen them do it.

I've just been over this morning, and I can't believe that. Are they idiots?

Is there NO other way for a pedestrian to get across without using some form
of paid transport?

Why do the *******s still have STAIRS at the northern end? Why are they
happy to let this poor ******* (me) with a recumbent trike and plastic cleats
across, but not a joe-average pedestrian?

There is only so much boggling my mind can allow for each day. I'm going to
have a bit of a lay down..

Old January 13th 08, 07:01 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Tomasso[_2_]

"scotty72" wrote in message ...

Yes, peds can get over on the eastern side

bike on the western

That's how it works.
Old January 13th 08, 07:53 AM posted to aus.bicycle
John Tserkezis

scotty72 wrote:

Yes, peds can get over on the eastern side
bike on the western

Ah, that explains it.

I wonder how much lobbying will it take to have escalators installed?
Old January 13th 08, 08:18 AM posted to aus.bicycle
beerwolf[_2_]

John Tserkezis wrote:

scotty72 wrote:

Yes, peds can get over on the eastern side
bike on the western

Ah, that explains it.

I wonder how much lobbying will it take to have escalators installed?

Have a look at this, SMH, Dec 17 2007:
http://tinyurl.com/347w7e

--
beerwolf

Old January 13th 08, 08:31 AM posted to aus.bicycle
beerwolf[_2_]

scotty72 wrote:

the harbor bridge bike way is not shared

if fact there are 2 guards on duty at any time who will throw peds off.
I've seen them do it.

Now that's what I call zero tolerance!

--
beerwolf

Old January 13th 08, 07:46 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Sun, 13 Jan 2008 16:35:56 +1100
John Tserkezis wrote:
Tomasso wrote:

...I didn't realise there were non-shared paths in NSW, where are some?

Harbour Bridge?

That one is shared. There are very few non-shared paths, there is one in
Fairfield, alas it was a million years ago when we passed that one, so can't
remember exactly where.

THe bridge one isn't. The peds are supposed to be on the other side.
I have come across a jogger on the bridge path which annoyed me but at
least he was wearing lots of reflec so it was easy to tell what he
was.

Zebee
Old January 13th 08, 07:50 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Sun, 13 Jan 2008 18:53:07 +1100
John Tserkezis wrote:
scotty72 wrote:

Yes, peds can get over on the eastern side
bike on the western

Ah, that explains it.

I wonder how much lobbying will it take to have escalators installed?

North Sydney council are talking about extending it a fair distance.
I think they are going to add ramps for on/off.

Take years though.

Escalators would be very expensive, won't get them. I'm surprised
someone hasn't pushed for lifts on the ped side though.

Trikes are right outside planners understanding I've found, there are
a couple of places on my regular commute that are very trike
unfriendly due to the bollard design. One's been fixed, the other
probably never will be.

I have no idea if the various bike consulting groups have trikers on
them, or if the two wheelers know three wheelers so they think "what
about trikes?"

Maybe what you need is to find someone who uses a trike cos they are
disabled, then raise a fuss about how the councils are not living up
to their obligations.

Zebee
Old January 13th 08, 07:53 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Sun, 13 Jan 2008 16:23:12 +1100
John Tserkezis wrote:

The Adelaide City Council parking rangers didn't have quotas. What
they did have was "past performance". So if a bomber wasn't booking
as many people as had been booked in that area at that time in
previous years, they would be asked why not. If they had an
explanation such as a change in parking restrictions or a popular
business moving, then that was that. If there was none then they'd be
told to get moving and possibly checked up on to be sure they were
doing the job, not off having coffee.

At the end of the day, I'm not playing word games. If it looks like a
quota, and smells like a quota, and barks like a quota, then....

Which it isn't, as that description shows. A quota isn't going to
change depending on circumstances for example.

How do you propose a council or police force can determine if the
employees are doing the job or skiving off?

Dunno about police, but I do know the bomber's job is hard,
unpleasant, and so difficult to fill. Good recipe for people not
working just saying they do. What would you do to make sure the
work's being done?

Zebee

Road Rules verb[_2_] Australia 10 December 8th 07 02:23 AM
Rules of the Road Jorg Lueke General 9 June 3rd 07 03:29 PM
RULES OF THE ROAD [email protected] Recumbent Biking 2 February 10th 07 05:32 PM
Attn: Qld Cyclists (Road Rules) LotteBum Australia 19 October 22nd 05 04:11 AM
Whats the deal with road rules in Sweden for cyclists? Jasmine Social Issues 2 March 29th 05 05:15 PM