Road raging pillocks in Perth

Old February 19th 08, 11:49 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Travis

Default Road raging pillocks in Perth

No doubt we'll be hearing a lot more about this around here, but
police are currently interviewing a 19 year old who alledgedly mowed
down a group of cyclists in Perth's northern suburbs this morning,
fortunately causing only light injuries.

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ontentID=59164

There is the usual commentary section where people are making the
usual nasty remarks about packs of lycra louts who break the law by
riding two abreast causing delays to busy and important people in
cars.

Travis
Old February 19th 08, 12:33 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Paul Yates

"Travis" wrote in message
No doubt we'll be hearing a lot more about this around here, but
police are currently interviewing a 19 year old who alledgedly mowed
down a group of cyclists in Perth's northern suburbs this morning,
fortunately causing only light injuries.

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ontentID=59164

There is the usual commentary section where people are making the
usual nasty remarks about packs of lycra louts who break the law by
riding two abreast causing delays to busy and important people in
cars.

Travis

Shesh. The cagers have been slowing me down on my morning commute along
Blackburn Road in Melbourne the last few days. On the rare days I drive, it
takes me 10 mins to get between Highbury Road and High Street Roads. On the
bicycle I'm crossing Wellington road after 10 mins. So much for us lycra
wearers slowing the gas guzzlers down!

Old February 19th 08, 09:45 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

Travis wrote:
No doubt we'll be hearing a lot more about this around here, but
police are currently interviewing a 19 year old who alledgedly mowed
down a group of cyclists in Perth's northern suburbs this morning,
fortunately causing only light injuries.

Yesterdays news said one broke an ankle.

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ontentID=59164

There is the usual commentary section where people are making the
usual nasty remarks about packs of lycra louts who break the law by
riding two abreast causing delays to busy and important people in
cars.

I must be looking at a different link then. I can't see anything in the link
you provided that is in any way disparaging to cyclists.

Theo

Old February 20th 08, 01:37 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

wrote:
On Feb 20, 8:45 am, "Theo Bekkers" wrote:
Travis wrote:
There is the usual commentary section where people are making the
usual nasty remarks about packs of lycra louts who break the law by
riding two abreast causing delays to busy and important people in
cars.

I must be looking at a different link then. I can't see anything in
the link you provided that is in any way disparaging to cyclists.

"Have your say: Are cyclists safe on the roads?"
http://blogs.thewest.com.au/news/new...cyclists-safe/

Note:- Must learn how to navigate.

I read all the entries on the first page, most of the complaining ones
appear to be from cyclists. Only two are from drivers complaining. One about
being given the finger by riders four abreast. Another about packs of pro
packs of a dozen or more riders. The only other complaint about
"tour-de-France wannabee cyclists in tight lycra" being a pain on shared
paths. The complainee is a cyclist.

Sorry, but I don't agree with Travis comment.

Theo

Old February 20th 08, 02:17 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Duncan

Travis wrote:
[...]

Note: 'first' page is the last page of comments (they're in reverse
chronilogical order).

I suggest you scroll through a few other pages.. you might change your
opinion.

duncan
Old February 20th 08, 04:05 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

Duncan wrote:
Theo Bekkers wrote:

Note:- Must learn how to navigate.

I read all the entries on the first page, most of the complaining
ones appear to be from cyclists. Only two are from drivers
complaining. One about being given the finger by riders four
abreast. Another about packs of pro packs of a dozen or more riders.
The only other complaint about "tour-de-France wannabee cyclists in
tight lycra" being a pain on shared paths. The complainee is a
cyclist.

Note: 'first' page is the last page of comments (they're in reverse
chronilogical order).

I suggest you scroll through a few other pages.. you might change your
opinion.

Note:- Must learn how to navigate around this stuff.

Why on earth do they put the whole thing backwards. Reading from the bottom
of the page just isn't natural for me.

OK, I've read the whole lot now, and apart from a couple of obvious trolls,
a fairly balanced point of view I think. There are as many, if not more,
cyclists complaining about lycra packs, than motorists complaining about
cyclists.

Cheers
Theo

Old February 20th 08, 04:10 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Graeme Dods

On Feb 20, 11:17 am, Duncan wrote:
Note: 'first' page is the last page of comments (they're in reverse
chronilogical order).

I suggest you scroll through a few other pages.. you might change your
opinion.

This came up at work yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised by the
fact that everyone seemed to be of the opinion that cyclists have
every right to be on the road, and if you get delayed by them for a
wee while just chill out and live with it. These were the opinions of
non-cyclists. Normally I have to bite my tongue when such subjects
come up as I do tend to start to rant a bit.

Graeme
Old February 20th 08, 04:12 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Travis

On Feb 20, 10:37 am, "Theo Bekkers" wrote:

Sorry, but I don't agree with Travis comment.

Theo

There appears to be another Travis posting comments. I only posted
one, last night, which last I saw was still awaiting moderation. My
comment was just an answer to the repetitive claim that cyclists are
constantly breaking the law by riding two abreast, with a link to the
WA Govt "cycling and the law" page where as I pointed out it says that
riders are allowed to ride two abreast, or three if overtaking.

That said, I can't say I've been too outraged by anything the other
Travis has said, but maybe I missed whatever comment you were
objecting to.

Travis
Old February 20th 08, 06:02 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On Feb 20, 3:10*pm, Graeme Dods wrote:
On Feb 20, 11:17 am, Duncan wrote:

Note: 'first' page is the last page of comments (they're in reverse
chronilogical order).

I suggest you scroll through a few other pages.. you might change your
opinion.

This came up at work yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised by the
fact that everyone seemed to be of the opinion that cyclists have
every right to be on the road, and if you get delayed by them for a
wee while just chill out and live with it.

How well does their opinion when they're standing around chatting at
work reflect their behaviour when "anonymous" out there in their cars
and stuck in traffic and they perceive themselves to be held up by
some other-species cyclist?

Does it then become "you have every right to be on the road, so long
as it isn't the road I'm using or you're not holding me up at all"

These were the opinions of
non-cyclists. Normally I have to bite my tongue when such subjects
come up as I do tend to start to rant a bit.

Graeme

Adrian
Old February 20th 08, 08:33 AM posted to aus.bicycle
AndrewJ

On Feb 20, 5:02 pm, "
wrote:
[...]

The key point here is that one of the cyclists got the registration
number
of the car. Very important to train yourself to note the number first,
then
start yelling.

mocking Ride-A-Lot - girl raging Apex rock garden LIBERATOR Mountain Biking 9 December 19th 06 10:59 AM
Perth: good deal on road bike shoes Travis Australia 0 March 25th 06 10:02 AM
BJC Perth fuzzy Unicycling 4 March 22nd 05 06:37 PM
WTB: road frame, 55cm, prefer perth till! Australia 3 December 20th 04 03:36 AM
any one from perth W.A Seamless Australia 5 January 16th 04 02:51 PM