Bikes Running Red Lights

Old September 10th 03, 11:34 PM
MikeyOz

Default Bikes Running Red Lights

I have only ever run red lights, when it is dark about 5 in the morning
and there is sight nor sign of another living thing or motorised thing.
I know it is still illegal but I feel that if I obey the road rules then
I will get treated better by drivers because they are going to see I
obey road rules.

People that usually coast past me I then usually pass them again anyway,
they are just fooling themselves and one day the are going to do it, not
see something and it is going to kill/injure either themselves or
someone else.

its just not worth it and packs should stick the rules more than
anybody else.

the thing about red lights and the sensors not detecting the bike really
does give me the irks.... so what do you do wait for a car to come along
? I dont think so.

Mikey

Old September 11th 03, 12:01 AM
rickster

Andrew Swan wrote in message .. .
Another thread talked about cops running red lights. This prompts me to
ask, do you run red lights:

(a) never
(b) depends if there's anyone watching
(c) depends if there's any drivers watching
(d) depends if there's any bike/car cops watching
(e) depends if there's any cops watching
(f) depends if there's any danger to me
(g) depends if there's any danger to anyone else
(h) if the light goes red when the bunch I'm in is halfway through
(might be a special case of (g) or not)
(i) if I've been waiting ages and they haven't changed (which is
actually legal, as the in-road sensors can't always [never?] detect
bikes and not all lights are on a timer all day)

[snip]

I love (h). Some of the excuses you get. But in reality, it's "I'm a
hack at he back half of the bunch, and if it gets away 'cos I stop at
a red light, I'm too much of a hack to power on to catch it, and thus
I can't pretend to partake in the glory sprint at the end of the ride"

Old September 11th 03, 12:03 AM
Alex

I only run a red light when (h) or (i) apply, except when I'm making a left
turn. In which case, I also run the light if (f) and (g) apply. Not sure if
you're allowed to do this in ther states but you are only supposed to do
this in SA if the intersection is appropriately signed. I tend to treat all
of them as signed....

In the case of (i), I predict this occuring on the unavoidable intersections
that I know don't sense my bike and treat them as a give way sign when ther
are no cars to set them off.

"Andrew Swan" wrote in message
Another thread talked about cops running red lights. This prompts me to
ask, do you run red lights:

(a) never
(b) depends if there's anyone watching
(c) depends if there's any drivers watching
(d) depends if there's any bike/car cops watching
(e) depends if there's any cops watching
(f) depends if there's any danger to me
(g) depends if there's any danger to anyone else
(h) if the light goes red when the bunch I'm in is halfway through
(might be a special case of (g) or not)
(i) if I've been waiting ages and they haven't changed (which is
actually legal, as the in-road sensors can't always [never?] detect
bikes and not all lights are on a timer all day)

soapbox
My opinion is this: if the only person you affected when you ran a red
was yourself, I'd say do what you like - it's your money/health if you
get fined/injured. However, it's not just about you. Like it or not, 80%
of motorists (i.e. ignoring the extreme ends of the bell curve) will
show cyclists respect and consideration in direct proportion to the
regard that we (as a body) show for the road rules. You can't expect
motorists to honour your road rights (e.g. a lane to yourself) if you
flout your obligations on the road.
/soapbox

P.S. This sounds like a troll, but it's something I actually feel
strongly about. Surely the inconvenience of stopping at a few lights
(and let's face it, there's usually no good reason why you can't, if
you're riding responsibly) is worth it if it means we get better
treatment in general? I know we are all equal road users in the eye of
the law, but the reality is when push comes to shove, 1000kg of metal
beats 8-20 kg of bike. We need all the goodwill we can generate, because
if it turns into a jungle, we are the mewling baby birds on the forest
floor.

P.P.S. If this was really a troll, I would have x-posted to aus.cars! :-)

&roo

Old September 11th 03, 12:10 AM
robroy

MikeyOz wrote:
[...]

Firstly Good Thread

I, like others think that we should be law abiding. However, there have
been times when I have crossed the line, pun intended, especially
waiting for green arrows ...those detectors are killers.

I agree with those other riders that say if we are wanting respect by
motorists we should be seen to be upholding the law and not flouting it
by cruising on through red lights.

Old September 11th 03, 03:34 AM
troyq

Andrew Swan wrote:
Another thread talked about cops running red lights. This prompts me to
ask, do you run red lights:
snip
&roo

I know a "red light" is a "red light" but im interested to know if
people treat red lights differently in different circumstances, such as
pedestrian crossings...

Case in point, this morning on my way to work I was cruising down a
hill about to begin the few hundred metre climb up the other side and
sure enough the pedestrian lights go red just before i get there.
Normally, no problem, wait for pedestrians... however it turns out to
be school kids pressing the button while walking by with no intention
of crossing the road.

Of course I stopped, for all the reasons everyone else has mentioned
above... but I was very tempted to continue, and spray a word or several
in their direction.

So back to my point, a red light is a red light but does everyone always
stop (and remain stopped) at pedestrian lights?

Old September 11th 03, 04:08 AM
Liz

Does everyone always stop at pedestrian lights? NO! Well not car drivers
anyway.
I went for a walk the other day and came to a pedestrian only crossing on a
moderately busy road. Pushed the button, waited for the little green man to
appear, checked to see that the approaching car really was stopping, then
started to cross. Then another car came up from behind, beeped its horn,
swerved past the stopped car and continued full speed through the
intersection. Gave me quite a fright.