Can we bring back the Golden Age of the Bicycle?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 19th 09, 03:46 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
ComandanteBanana

Default Can we bring back the Golden Age of the Bicycle?

Originally Posted by wahoonc
"Around here the criteria is if they are pretty much complete and able
to be rolled around. (good thing too because I have at least 6
framesets that I hope she has forgotten about)

FWIW her counts usually include the ones in the "soon to be scrap"
pile too. By my count we have 16 ready to ride, but some of those are
for show and go, not daily riders."

***

I think bikes can be both for riding and show...

Remember the good old 1890's?

Well, I'm sure you don't, but back then that piece of junk called the
"automobile" hadn't hit the streets (or dirt roads), but there were
bike ways and the fashionable elite would ride a bike the way they
drive Supersized Unnecessary Vehicles today.

http://velonista.com/wp-content/uplo.../gentleman.jpg

They may look a little bit "funny" to modern times, but imagine what
they would have thought of driving around in a box on wheels.

Anyway, I think that we can bring back the Golden Age of the Bicycle,
and I will celebrate it with my Amsterdam Classic, my Electra Towney
and my red chopper with h-u-g-e ape hanger bars. See you around!

In a land where SUVs rule, it may seem counterintuitive or even stupid
to ride a bike... But a man gotta do, what a man gotta do.

http://webspawner.com/users/bananarevolution