New bike, on its way to the kitchen

Old May 22nd 06, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default New bike, on its way to the kitchen

This is my recently aquired 1965 Moulton "speed" on the way home from the
supermarket. With bars borrowed from a 1964 Moulton "stowaway", and rack
bag from a 1983 Moulton AM-7.

http://www.mikecauser.com/images/S1-speed-0001.jpg

The Schwalbe Marathon tyres cost me more than the bike!

Mike
Old May 23rd 06, 06:16 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Mike Causer wrote:
This is my recently aquired 1965 Moulton "speed" on the way home from the
supermarket. With bars borrowed from a 1964 Moulton "stowaway", and rack
bag from a 1983 Moulton AM-7.

http://www.mikecauser.com/images/S1-speed-0001.jpg

That reminds me very much of my first "soft tyred" bike! It was a
Triang and looked (from very hazy memory) almost identical. Were they
one and the same?

Unfortunately the Triang wasn't able to stand up to quite as much abuse
as my friends' bikes and the front snapped of after doing a few too
many jumps off a plank. Oops! I remember being very upset and carrying
my now foldable (though without the use of flexible joints[1]) bike
back home to in tears show my parents. I fully expected to be yelled
at, but instead Dad took the bike to somebody at work who brazed the
front back on again and I was mobile again soon afterwards!

Graeme

[1] Maybe this explains my current desire fo a Brompton?

Old May 23rd 06, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Graeme Dods wrote:

That reminds me very much of my first "soft tyred" bike!

There's nothing "soft tyred" about Moultons. In fact one of the main
points about the design wasn't just small wheels, but small wheels shod
with very specifically /high pressure/ tyres, coupled with suspension.

"Moultonesque" bikes like the RSW16 looked superficially the same but
were basically marketing jobs that had spectacularly Missed The Point.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old May 24th 06, 02:02 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Peter Clinch wrote:
Graeme Dods wrote:

That reminds me very much of my first "soft tyred" bike!

There's nothing "soft tyred" about Moultons.

I'm sure there is, at least compared to my first ever bike (the one
prior to the aforementioned Triang). It had solid rubber tyres (though
I think they may have been black coloured concrete for all the give
they had) and a removable cross bar so you could make it into a girl's
bike. From memory it was red with blue mudguards. I'm really dredging
up the past now!

Graeme