[OT] Xmas Eve Message to NG From Ed Dolan

Old December 25th 03, 04:07 PM
Edward Dolan

Default [OT] Xmas Eve Message to NG From Ed Dolan

"EVSolutions" wrote in message .. .

Under burning in Trenton N.J. for all eternity

Let me tell you all about a boy in grade Grade 5 who was not exactly a
Christian and was drafted by a Roman Catholic School to play the role of one
of the 3 Wiseman who had journeyed from the East to bring Frankincense to
the Rubber baby Jesus wrapped in swaddling clothes and laying in a manger of
real (dry) straw.[...]

Hey, Joshua, that is a funny story indeed. I do remember the Christmas
pageants we had to do in our small town Catholic parish back in the
40's. You have to be a certain age in order to pull it off. Once you
have arrived at the age of reason it all appears absurd and
ridiculous, but it nevertheless plumbs depths that only children know.
I am wiser now but a whole lot less happy.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old December 25th 03, 04:26 PM
Edward Dolan

"DH" wrote in message ...

These lyrics written by Tom Lehrer (as well as the music) always brings a
smile to my face:

Christmas time is here, by golly,
Disapproval would be folly.
Deck the halls with hunks of holly,
Fill the cup and don't say when.

[...]

Hey, DH, are you intimidating that Christmas in the Netherlands is not
any different than it is here in the USA.

Jeez! Here I am an atheist wishing eveyone a Merry Christmas and all I
get from you is this materialism from the Netherlands. Where is the
reason for the season if not for the birth of the Savior. Happy
Birthday Jesus! Or do I have it all wrong?

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old December 25th 03, 06:15 PM
Jack Davis

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
om...
"EVSolutions" wrote in message

.. .

Under burning in Trenton N.J. for all eternity

Let me tell you all about a boy in grade Grade 5 who was not exactly a
Christian and was drafted by a Roman Catholic School to play the role of

one
of the 3 Wiseman who had journeyed from the East to bring Frankincense

the Rubber baby Jesus wrapped in swaddling clothes and laying in a

manger of
real (dry) straw.[...]

Hey, Joshua, that is a funny story indeed. I do remember the Christmas
pageants we had to do in our small town Catholic parish back in the
40's. You have to be a certain age in order to pull it off. Once you
have arrived at the age of reason it all appears absurd and
ridiculous, but it nevertheless plumbs depths that only children know.
I am wiser now but a whole lot less happy.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

10-4 on the "w l l h."

Old December 25th 03, 06:55 PM
EVSolutions

I am wiser now but a whole lot less happy.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Ignorance can be bliss...except when spitting and peeing into the wind

Old December 25th 03, 06:55 PM
EVSolutions

Old December 26th 03, 12:20 AM
DH

Ed, we meet again in an OT post. I was in a pretty sour mood when I first
posted here. (My landlord wants to sell his house which means he want us
to move, a f****** pain in the ass.) Christmas is much less commercial
over here than in the US, but Tom Lehrer's words still ring true. He
probably wrote that back in the 1950's or 1960's.

I just got in from a private Christmas job (I'm a professional jazz
pianist) and I was treated royally. I played for extremely wealthy folks,
I rec'd excellent money (cash), presents on top of that, and got to play
an excellent Steinway piano to boot - one of the best five pianos I have
ever played. Part of the gift I rec'd included a bottle of wine which I
am now drinking.

Season's Greetings ... all the best from the Netherlands, Dave