Go clipless! Normal chain noise?

Old September 8th 03, 05:15 PM
fblum

Default Go clipless! Normal chain noise?

As a newbie with a month old Bacchetta Giro I was rather unimpressed
with my bike until I put on clipless (eggbeaters) pedals- wow! Feet no
longer going numb or falling off the pedals-starting much easier, a lot
more muscles working. Had a delightful 15 mile trial run. My advice is
if you are used to clipless on your DF bike you need 'em on your bent as
well. By the way- the eggbeaters seem better than my Shimano SPD for
ease of release. I do notice much more chain noise (chatter?)from the
front than I am used to on my DF bike. My thinking is it has to do with
the slight angle of the chain as it seats onto the chainring, especially
under tension. Thoughts?

Old September 8th 03, 06:49 PM
Cletus Lee

In article , says...
As a newbie with a month old Bacchetta Giro ...I do notice much more chain noise (chatter?)from the
front than I am used to on my DF bike. My thinking is it has to do with
the slight angle of the chain as it seats onto the chainring, especially
under tension. Thoughts?

I think most SWBs with idlers are noisier than DF. The Bacchetta, with the single idler seems
noisier than many. If you are absolutely sure the noise comes from the front derailleur area,
Make sure that the chain is not rubbing against the derailleur after a shift. Moving the rear
derailleur to extreme positions will cause the chain to drift toward one or the other side of
the front derailleur requiring a minor adjustment of the front derailleur.

More likely, the noise you hear is coming from the idler. By itself, it is a noisy little
beast. Unless installed correctly, it is possible that the upper and lower chains are reversed
on the idler and when that happens, it gets really noisy.
Early Giros where delivered with improperly positioned idlers. These caused problems and were
corrected by positioning the idler further away from the frame with a spacer on the shaft.
This was provided by Bacchetta. Check to see if you have this or if it was installed correctly
by the LBS. I don't think this is a problem with later Giros.

Cletus D. Lee
Bacchetta Giro
Lightning Voyager
http://www.clee.org
- Bellaire, TX USA -

Old September 9th 03, 02:16 AM
jim h

If you think about how you sit on a DF you'll realize your body is
positioned between drive train and your ears, thus blocking a lot of the
nose. And the sources of noise are further from your ears.