Tandem Brakes

Old September 11th 03, 06:53 AM
Alan

Default Tandem Brakes

I'm going to be getting some wheels for a tandem soon. Someone mentioned
those shimano nexave roller brakes in some context earlier. They look so
easy and are cheap. Do these things have stopping power, will they overheat?

I really wanted to go with disk brakes on this project, but they're a
bit more than I want to spend.

Alan

Old September 11th 03, 09:10 AM
Torsten Lif

I have a rear wheel for my Linear LWB with one of them "roller brakes"
from Shimano (don't exactly remember the model name but I built it a
couple of years ago).

I'm not impressed with the stopping power. The Magura hydraulic rim
brakes are a lot more efficient. Not that I have any problem with
overheating, of course, the Linear being a single.

The roller brake has a kind of cooling disc which may compensate for its
poor power if it works to prevent fading but I haven't had occasion to
test this. For regular riding, I find it lame. I wanted to move away
from the Maguras because I'd had one too many brake line ruptures when I
folded the bike, but this wheel has proven a disappointment. I'm still
looking for the "perfect" brake. Maybe I'll look into a disc one day.

/Torsten

--
Torsten Lif, Cyberspace Cyclist
Stockholm, Sweden

http://www.ihpva.org/people/torsten/Torsten.html

Old September 11th 03, 04:55 PM
Chris French

In message , Alan
writes

I'm going to be getting some wheels for a tandem soon. Someone
mentioned those shimano nexave roller brakes in some context earlier.
They look so easy and are cheap. Do these things have stopping power,
will they overheat?

I've got a Shimano Nexus roller brake on the rear of my upright
'utility' bike (paired with a Sachs drum brake on the front). The
stopping power is fine, but nothing to write home about, but I don't
really like the feel of it at all. I much prefer the drum brake on the
front. As for overheating, I suspect that might be a problem, though
I've no evidence for this.

I use it because I like the very low maintenance and the reliable
stopping in the wet enclosed hub brakes. I used to run a coaster brake
rear on Sachs hub gear, but for various reasons changed that for a
Shimano hub gear, so tried out a roller brake.
--
Chris French, Leeds

Old September 13th 03, 03:24 PM
Parker Swanson

"Chris French" wrote

I've got a Shimano Nexus roller brake on the rear of my upright
'utility' bike (paired with a Sachs drum brake on the front).
... I much prefer the drum brake on the front.

I have no experience with the roller brake, but will second Chris's praise of the Sachs front hub brake. I have one on my
1996-vintage Bike Friday (upright) Family Tandem. It has very good stopping power, doesn't cause rim heating, and works well in the
rain. I took it apart to lube the bearings a little while ago, and found no observable wear on the linings after several thousand
miles of use. I wish US bike manufacturers would consider use front hub brakes more often. Possibly disks are as good or better; as
yet I have no experience with them. I noticed that the recumbent EZ tandem, designed by Easy Racers and manufactured by Sun, has
disk brakes front and rear, also beefed-up 20" wheels and tires: quite impressive for a recumbent tandem selling for less than $2K
USD.

Parker Swanson