Group etiquette for ATB

Old August 10th 06, 11:45 PM posted to aus.bicycle
daveL

Default Group etiquette for ATB

I'm going to be doing the 100k ATB for the first time this year as part
of a work team (of fairly mixed abilities) and on a MTB, so I'm not too
sure how much I should be aware of in terms of etiquette so as not to
inconvenience or endanger more serious participants?

Cheers

--
daveL
Old August 11th 06, 12:22 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

daveL wrote:
I'm going to be doing the 100k ATB for the first time this year as part
of a work team (of fairly mixed abilities) and on a MTB, so I'm not too
sure how much I should be aware of in terms of etiquette so as not to
inconvenience or endanger more serious participants?

Here's some from my limited experience:
- stay left on the trail, for people coming up behind you faster, or
those coming down
- let them pass if they call "track" or somesuch
- don't ride up someone's arse going downhill on tech stuff, unless you
can bunnyhop them if they crash
- take lots of jelly babies and powerbars to share, and have a slab on
ice in the car for afters.

Donga

Old August 11th 06, 01:05 AM posted to aus.bicycle
daveL

Donga wrote:
daveL wrote:
I'm going to be doing the 100k ATB for the first time this year as part
of a work team (of fairly mixed abilities) and on a MTB, so I'm not too
sure how much I should be aware of in terms of etiquette so as not to
inconvenience or endanger more serious participants?

Here's some from my limited experience:
- stay left on the trail, for people coming up behind you faster, or
those coming down
- let them pass if they call "track" or somesuch
- don't ride up someone's arse going downhill on tech stuff, unless you
can bunnyhop them if they crash
- take lots of jelly babies and powerbars to share, and have a slab on
ice in the car for afters.

So basically, (1) be polite, (2) remember lots of food and (3) drink
beer afterwards.

Sounds sensible to me

Cheers

--
daveL
Old August 11th 06, 01:05 AM posted to aus.bicycle
gplama

daveL Wrote:
I'm going to be doing the 100k ATB for the first time this year as part
of a work team (of fairly mixed abilities) and on a MTB, so I'm not
too
sure how much I should be aware of in terms of etiquette so as not to
inconvenience or endanger more serious participants?

Some handy tips: http://tinyurl.com/q8pbt

Don't be too worried about the more 'serious' participants, you either
wont see them, or they'll be in a bunch giving the slower/recreational
riders a wide birth.

Oh, and get some slicks on that MTB if you haven't already - 100 road
kms on knobbies will be like completing the 250km on a road bike!

cheers,
GPL

--
gplama

Old August 11th 06, 01:52 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Rory Williams

daveL Wrote:
I'm going to be doing the 100k ATB for the first time this year as part
of a work team (of fairly mixed abilities) and on a MTB, so I'm not
too
sure how much I should be aware of in terms of etiquette so as not to
inconvenience or endanger more serious participants?

Cheers

daveL

My two cents - be prepared to be patient. They have just passed the
participation record - is it something like 11,000?. It's going to be
crowded particularly on the narrow section heading north out of
Sorrento. I think a 'relaxed' frame of mind will be well worth while.

RoryW

--
Rory Williams

Old August 11th 06, 02:29 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Marx SS

bunches always expect the lead riders to alert others to upcoming
obsticals, like: "pot hole", "glass" & "boobies".

in a bunch indicate if you're gonna swing out for a parked car etc -
there just might be 10 riders just off your wheel (if it's windy).

Bunches lose independent thought. If you are leading the bunch you can
take them anywhere you please & they will follow.

It's important to not ride just off the wheel in front, because it's
the ATB & bad things are bound to happen.
I've been up & down Beach rd lately & have seen riders getting rear
ended at the lights because some bunch riders don't see past that inch
of road ahead of thier front tyre.

Bring lollies for everyone.

look over your shoulder before swinging out to pass any riders - there
just might be a car there doing twice your speed.

Just becasue you're tried or putting in max effort on a climb, does not
mean that everyone has to give you room.

--
Marx SS

Old August 11th 06, 07:12 AM posted to aus.bicycle
monsterman

Donga Wrote:
daveL wrote:
I'm going to be doing the 100k ATB for the first time this year as

part
of a work team (of fairly mixed abilities) and on a MTB, so I'm not

too
sure how much I should be aware of in terms of etiquette so as not to
inconvenience or endanger more serious participants?

Here's some from my limited experience:
- stay left on the trail, for people coming up behind you faster, or
those coming down
- let them pass if they call "track" or somesuch
- don't ride up someone's arse going downhill on tech stuff, unless you
can bunnyhop them if they crash
- take lots of jelly babies and powerbars to share, and have a slab on
ice in the car for afters.

Donga

Donga has obviously locked into his epic MTB mind-set. ATB is a road
event yeah?? Not much single track??

MM

[****ed off as he didn't get to go to Singapore this afternoon]

--
monsterman

Old August 11th 06, 07:16 AM posted to aus.bicycle
monsterman

Marx SS Wrote:
bunches always expect the lead riders to alert others to upcoming
obsticals, like: snip ........ "boobies".

Boobies? Really? If we had to call that up here in in sunny
sub-tropical qld, bunches wouldn't be associated with a whirring,
clicking, whooshing, grinding din - just the echoed song of
"boobies...boo/boobies...boobies...". It would get rather boring after
a while (especially on the uni circuit part of the river ride ... ...
)

--
monsterman

Old August 11th 06, 09:41 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Snuffy

Marx SS Wrote:
bunches always expect the lead riders to alert others to upcoming
obsticals, like: "pot hole", "glass" & "boobies".

I was welcomed home by that sight on last year's ATB.... somewhere
between Mordy & Black Rock.... my team had self distructed and I was
doing tough and towing a mate.... I was pretty knackered.....

When out of one of the little paths that lead to the beach came a chick
in a yellow string bikini followed by a dude with a huge camera and
another guy holding one of those silver reflective shade thingies....

--
Snuffy

Old August 11th 06, 12:51 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

monsterman wrote:
[****ed off as he didn't get to go to Singapore this afternoon]

Ah, so no excuses tomorrow?