Braking Distance of Cycles

Old August 15th 10, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JMS

Default Braking Distance of Cycles

Does anyone have a reference for such things?

I keep asking - but no-one wants to give same.

I wonder why? Are they that bad?

--
Latest accident figures from DfT Q1 2010
Killed or Seriously Injured:

Pedestrians DOWN 8%
Car Users DOWN 8%
Motorcycle users DOWN 8%
Cyclists UP : 4%

Spot a theme?
Old August 15th 10, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On 15 Aug, 17:04, JMS wrote:
Does anyone have a reference for such things?

I keep asking *- but no-one wants to give same.

Any wonder?

I wonder why? *

Erm, it's you.

Are they that bad?

Bad for what, analysing mental health?

Old August 15th 10, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JMS

On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 09:11:59 -0700 (PDT), thirty-six
wrote:

On 15 Aug, 17:04, JMS wrote:
Does anyone have a reference for such things?

I keep asking *- but no-one wants to give same.

Any wonder?

I wonder why? *

Erm, it's you.

Are they that bad?

Bad for what, analysing mental health?

Thanks.

I do appreciate the time you spend on my posts - even if you always
have **** all to say.

Old August 15th 10, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike P[_15_]

On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 17:04:58 +0100, JMS garbled:

Does anyone have a reference for such things?

Probably, but it would be ******** anyway.

I keep asking - but no-one wants to give same.

I wonder why? Are they that bad?

No, but they're infinitely variable.

For instance, I expect that my bike with it's Weinman 701s and 100kgs of
me on it stops a lot better from 25mph with my 60kg brother on it.

It would stop even better if it had disc brakes. It would stop better if
it had different brake blocks I expect.

It would stop a lot worse if it were wet.

--
Mike P
Old August 15th 10, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr. Benn[_5_]

"JMS" wrote in message

Does anyone have a reference for such things?

I keep asking - but no-one wants to give same.

I wonder why? Are they that bad?

It depends largely on how efficient the brakes are which can range from very
good to very poor. So there is no simple answer.

Old August 15th 10, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr. Benn[_5_]

"Mr. Benn" wrote in message
"JMS" wrote in message

Does anyone have a reference for such things?

I keep asking - but no-one wants to give same.

I wonder why? Are they that bad?

It depends largely on how efficient the brakes are which can range from
very good to very poor. So there is no simple answer.

And obviously speed and weight. A fat ******* on a bike will need longer to
stop than someone lightweight.

Old August 15th 10, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

On 15/08/2010 18:08, Mr. Benn wrote:
"Mr. Benn" wrote in message
"JMS" wrote in message

Does anyone have a reference for such things?

I keep asking - but no-one wants to give same.

I wonder why? Are they that bad?

It depends largely on how efficient the brakes are which can range
from very good to very poor. So there is no simple answer.

And obviously speed and weight. A fat ******* on a bike will need longer
to stop than someone lightweight.

And skill. Body positioning is key to braking hard.

(I've not seen JMS asking this question before. Anybody got message ids?)
Old August 15th 10, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JMS

On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 18:17:18 +0100, Clive George
wrote:

snip

(I've not seen JMS asking this question before. Anybody got message ids?)

Hello it's nut-job George

Too subtle by half sunshine.

Why not accuse me of lying?

Old August 15th 10, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike P[_15_]

On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 18:17:18 +0100, Clive George garbled:

"Mr. Benn" wrote in message
"JMS" wrote in message

Does anyone have a reference for such things?

I keep asking - but no-one wants to give same.

I wonder why? Are they that bad?

It depends largely on how efficient the brakes are which can range
from very good to very poor. So there is no simple answer.

And obviously speed and weight. A fat ******* on a bike will need
longer to stop than someone lightweight.

And skill. Body positioning is key to braking hard.

Indeed. Almost the same as a motorcycle.

(I've not seen JMS asking this question before. Anybody got message
ids?)

I've not either, and I don't have a killfile.

--
Mike P
Old August 15th 10, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_2_]

JMS wrote:
Does anyone have a reference for such things?

I keep asking - but no-one wants to give same.

I wonder why? Are they that bad?

Of course if push bikes had a yearly safety check like cars, we would know.

--
Dave - intelligent enough to realise that a push bike is a kid's toy, not a
viable form of transport.

Unnerving braking experiences; sudden braking increase. Michael Press Techniques 47 January 30th 07 11:06 PM
Poor braking Brendan Halpin UK 66 June 27th 06 02:35 PM
good distance cycles? slip Unicycling 13 October 28th 05 07:02 AM
Thoughts on braking ant Techniques 6 August 3rd 03 06:24 AM
Thoughts on braking E & V Willson Techniques 3 August 3rd 03 06:21 AM