Police crackdown on danger cyclists in Cambridge

Old March 1st 12, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,cam.transport,uk.transport
Mr Benn[_5_]

Default Police crackdown on danger cyclists in Cambridge

Danger cyclists in Cambridge have been targeted by police in a crackdown on
riders who flout traffic laws.

Officers handed out £30 fines to 15 cyclists for a variety of offences
including not having lights, riding on the footpath or going through red
traffic lights.

The operation was run by four Special Constables between 6pm and 10pm
yesterday (February 29).

Officers focused on Arbury Road, Milton Road, Victoria Avenue, Hills Road
and Cherry Hinton Road. During a previous operation in December, 26 cyclists
were stopped.

Special Inspector Andy Coleman said: "Police will continue to target people
who ride with no lights because it is for their own safety and we know the
public are concerned too.

"Having the right safety equipment is important for the cyclist and for
other road users who need to be able to see them.

"I would urge all cyclists to get a set of lights - they are cheaper than
paying a fine."

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Home...n-01032012.htm

Old March 1st 12, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,cam.transport,uk.transport

Default Motorist accused of killing Pat Kenny explains how he may have beenblinded by sunshine

Yet another feeble excuse.

QUOTE:
A motorist accused of causing the death through careless driving of
record-breaking cyclist Pat Kenny in January last year has told
Stafford Crown Court that he did not see the rider and may have been
blinded by the sun prior to the fatal incident on the slip road of the
A38 at Claymills near Burton-on-Trent.

Andrew Mylrea of Stretton, aged 46 and a chief design engineer at
aircraft engine manufacturer Rolls-Royce plc in Derby, who has pleaded
not guilty to the charge, was reported by This Is Derbyshire to have
broken down in court a number of times as he recounted the events
leading up to Mr Kenny’s death.

"I'm not for one moment denying I ran over Mr Kenny – I just don't
know why I didn't see him,” he said.

“I wasn't doing anything other than the normal driving checks coming
up to a junction that has hazards. There were times the sun came into
my eyes, but I thought I had taken in the full scene."

The court was told that the father of two had taken the day off work
to go shopping at Ikea with his partner and that his BMW’s rear-view
mirror could not be used because the purchases they had made were
obstructing the view, meaning that he had to rely on his side mirrors
instead.

Mylrea added that as he came towards the junction, which was on a
route he travelled daily on his way to and from work, the sunlight was
flickering and causing some bright flashes.

Defence counsel Mr David Mason QC asked Mylrea whether he had seen Mr
Kenny prior to the collision.

"Looking back, there was some brightness, a flash,” he explained.
“Whether that was Mr Kenny, I don't know. One minute I am driving
along, the next there's an enormous bang."

The jury heard that a breath test had produced a zero result and that
it had also been established that he was not using his mobile phone at
the time of the incident. The trial continues.

Last week, a motorist convicted at Harrow Crown Court of causing the
death last year through careless driving of Group Captain Tom Barrett
on the A40 also claimed that he had been blinded by the sun prior to
hsi van striking and killing the cyclist.

During a lifetime of cycling, Mr Kenny, aged 72 and from Whittington
near Lichfield, had racked up more than 900,000 miles in the saddle
and in 1980 set a new record of two days, ten hours and 30 minutes for
cycling from Land’s End to John O’Groats by tricycle.

At the time of his death on 21 January, the father of three was due to
have been in Tunisia to undertake winter training, but his trip was
cancelled as a result of the civil unrest then gripping the North
African country.

http://road.cc/content/news/53758-mo...inded-sunshine
--
Simon Mason

Old March 1st 12, 03:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,cam.transport,uk.transport

http://road.cc/content/news/53758-mo...ing-pat-kenny-...
--
Simon Mason